WW2? What is justice?

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by s0uljae, Aug 27, 2008.

1. s0uljae

s0uljae Well-Known Member

after world war 2 the american troop stationed in japan. they were bullying japanese which have lost their defeat. the american troop went around picking on the japanese and definitely many japanese women got raped and the american troop never got prosecuted. what is justice?

2. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

yea, tat's fukup. But on the other hand, japanese conquered china for years and killed millions and raped millions of chinese people. wat is justice in that?.......make no sense rite?

3. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Use your energy and study to be a judge specilalising in international criminal law or to be a politician. Finally if you skilled in communication and languages aim to become a diplomat. Make a difference to the world.

4. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

What's really ironic about this, is that the Japanese themselves were the instigators of Comfort Houses for American soldiers; that is, whore houses built by the Japanese for the purposes of satisfying American troop lust, as a way of preventing wholesale rape of the average Japanese woman. These "comfort stations" were organized by the Japanese police themselves, and had used deceptive advertising in the recruitment of young Japanese women to staff it's facilities when the ranks of willing prostitutes were depleted. Many young women anxious to get a real job during the hard times in the post war period, were thus tricked into becoming prostitutes (many who argue about this forget that the Japanese government itself had its civilian population on nearly starvation rations during the later stages of the war). It's ironic because these rape factories were first used as a way of boosting combat troop morale within the conquering Imperial Japanese Army; and then subsequently used as a method of community protection and social buffer, against marauding sex seeking American occupation troops. MacArthur, the commander of US occupation forces in Japan at the time, finally put a stop to it for fear of bad press back home. At this time, there is no evidence that any Japanese commander ever took a similar view during those times (that is, stopping a rape factory because of fear of bad press or poor home opinions of the practice).

I know that the original poster's motivation for bringing this up was directed towards the question of equal responsibility and parity in terms of war crimes, in view of the internationally strident tones often taken with Japanese war criminals. And it's true, Chinese troops raped and killed Chinese civilians, Korean troops raped and killed their own people, European troops did much the same wherever they went throughout the world. However, one's own criminal culpability of rape does not depend upon the adjudication and punishment of similar crimes by others. If you rape someone, you're guilty; regardless if someone else did the same thing; whether they're caught or not; punished or not, is wholly immaterial. Thus, when the discussion is about rape as a Japanese war crime, the defensive debating strategy of bringing up the crimes of another race or nation is a non starter; it frankly reveals the debater to be devoid of an intellectually and historically acceptable rebuttal.

Rape by soldiers during armed political conflict, is a war crime. Whether in Nanking, Japan, Rwanda, or Kosovo; or wherever... There can be no rational justification for it or attenuation of guilt, simply because there is evidence of it occurring at the hands of another.

Ralph

#4 ralphrepo, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  5. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

dam bro, u wrote a whole essay on this.....

anyways, there are reports that said these vets r regretting of wat they did back in the days. Their guilt will remain forever wit them. it is a staind where they cannot get it off until the day they die. So i guess that's their punishment.

6. ralphrepo

LOL... I guess the older you get, the more shit just flies off the top of your head. And I agree that guilt can sometimes be one's harshest personal judge. More than a few former IJA soldiers who had participated in some of the talked about war crimes have come forward (often at huge personal expense; estrangement of friends and family, death threats, etc) to admit their deeds. Too much baggage to take to the great beyond, I suppose.

Oh, and BTW, if you want to see a really good documentary: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092963/

It was made by a former IJA soldier turned anti-war activist, who accused the former Japanese emperor of being a murderer; arrested for flinging Pachinko balls at his passing motorcade with a slingshot. Himself a convicted murderer and clearly a lunatic on a mission, the film maker nonetheless was able to reveal a dark slice of IJA history; that which involved the cannabalism of natives, captured enemy, and when times where none other were available, even their own soldiers. Entitled Yuki Yukite Shingun (the Emperor's Naked Army Marches On) 1987, it won many awards but was shunned by the mainstream Japanese media outlets as being too controversial. A must see for any student of Japanese history.

And lastly, not to be an American apologist by diverting attention elsewhere, but if one really wanted to look for complicity of war crimes against defenseless Japanese, look to the post war treatment and internment of hundreds of thousand of Japanese military and civilians alike by the former Soviet Union. Many were enslaved and died in Siberian work camps after the war. Some were eventually released, but most never made it back home.

Ralph

7. s0uljae

s0uljae Well-Known Member

8. ralphrepo

LOL... My high school English teacher is probably rolling over in her grave right now... :bowdown:

9. i have heard about this relaxing stations and needless to say i am quite familiar with the concept, and i agree with whoever planned that out as a sheild to protect the innocent. American troops have always been rash with their decisions and yeah being in the army for so long and not being able to see/touch/feel a woman really does a toll on you once you can...

10. ralphrepo

But, the idea of providing sexual release for troops is not the issue. It becomes rape when women who don't want to participate, are tricked into situations that then force them to participate. Again, I want to stress that, in Japan, when the numbers of willing women (mostly women who were already experienced prostitutes) were unable to staff these facilities, Japanese police took to using enticing and false advertising which lured poor and unknowing Japanese young women; who had been innocently job seeking in the Japan's destitute post war economy:

In a rush? For a quick synopsis, just read the red highlighted lines.

Obviously, this issue remains extremely complicated; it continues to tear at emotional heart strings and has historic connections and relevance to many other facets of both war time and occupation administrations. That being said, it's important to recognize and accept as historic fact, the self serving roles played by both Japanese civilian and American military powers that created (Japanese) and allowed (American) the comfort stations to not only to come into existence, but to flourish in post war Japan, at great human expense.

#10 ralphrepo, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  11. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

....sigh....i guess it's god's will to provoke a war. It's basically a sign for us to kno that the world needed to change in terms of economy, industrialization, dehumanization, etc. Wars actually damage us and help us in some ways. Sometimes, it just cant be avoidable.

12. ralphrepo

Though some interpretations (like Apocalypse, Armageddon, Jihad, et al) would choose to subscribe to such interpretations as being divinely motivated, I personally doubt the nature of providence as being so destructively provocative. So far as I can tell, throughout history, wars have always been caused by the simple ambition of unscrupulous men, and even a few ambitious women; the end results always being the slaughter and suffering of the untold innocents. Given the competitive nature of the human existence, it is not so much unavoidable as it is inevitable. Either way, woe betides mankind because of it. :(

13. but that is how for many generations one race was able to spread their beliefs and values among many, whether it was for the good or bad.... war sometimes is an necessary evil that must be taken to maintain the world in a state of balance... as one super power rises others have to fall under it, it creates a system of control... and the super power has high demands to stay on top of the rest of the world.... but war is inevitable the US has had wars in practically in every generation...besides our generation.... and that little grace period is coming to an end.... as the war in Iraq has been along its way..... it's only a matter of time when China start becoming a threat and the US is not likely to give its throne up so easily....

14. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

But if US and China does go to war.... the question is which side will u be on? It is pretty hard to answer for some of us. It will definitely make me go crazy...

15. ^ that will be quite hard..... but i think i would choose america...... because the ramifications are less harsh....

16. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

It is pointless bringing up all these evils deeds by human kind and stick name of a country as an adjective. This evilness is a human trait and humans are the only living organism (? or is ot a few) on this planet to kill in the name of religion, nationalism, idealogy, politics...also human beings are the only mammals on this planet to love acts of destruction as entertainment. All of you need to learn and to educate ourselves from past experience and take active preventive measures against these misdeeds in the future. We must collectively elevate ourselves and aspire to the ideals of the human vision and rise above the emotional predatory behaviour, for example.

17. ralphrepo

No offense, but I beg to differ. Your statement is rather odd as it seems an exercise in self contradiction; how then, can one educate oneself, if bringing such things up is considered pointless? From where I sit, I'm of the opinion that it is through an ability to openly review these deeds of past evils and to honestly reflect on how they've affected mankind, that ultimately enables future generations to educate themselves enough to prevail against recurrence. In essence, history is a teacher only if it is being taught.

18. shijiko_7

shijiko_7 Member

One sentence : WAR IS A F-UP GAME FOR THOSE WHO IS POWER CRAZY AND TRY TO PLAY GOD.. THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR THOSE PERSON, IS BLIND... BLINDNESS CAUSED BY GREED....

19. actually the soldiers that fight in ww2 where practically recruited against their will...at least for the US anyways... and they didnt fight for power or greed... they fought for their own lives and to stay a citizen of the USA....

20. d15z1sux

d15z1sux Well-Known Member

civilians should never have to pay the price for war...