Working Full Time or Starting a Business?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Marshmallow_Boy, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Marshmallow_Boy

Marshmallow_Boy Well-Known Member

I'm kind of deciding if I should look for a full time job or should I start my own business. It's kind of a tough decision since this decision will have a huge impact for my future.

I'm currently studying ...

Some people may say to do both, but as you might know from my other posts, I just don't feel I have the confidence in working in a company. I feel like I won't be able to handle the work and I'm not very good at communicating with others. I know I sound like I'm looking down on myself, but starting my own company can be an opportunity to explore the world, and be aware of our surroundings. <--- (That's what my company is about.)

Luckily I met a good group of buddies who wants to startup a company. One of them is currently traveling around the world to gather information on what is about to come.

What do you guys think?

#1 Marshmallow_Boy, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

I think most people do both instead

find a full time job, while working on a startup. idk how old you are but you're gonna need some capital being in a startup, and pretty much the first year at least (some say two), you're almost pretty much guaranteed a loss financially.

3. Marshmallow_Boy

We are working on a social media application.
    I'm following what Mark Zuckerberg and the movie The Social Network has done.
    My partner is talking to investors now and I'm working hard to get this application done.
    I can't wait to earn my first $1 mill.

#3 Marshmallow_Boy, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

What a coincidence ~ I'm in the same boat about starting up a business too.

First of all, I would say finish off your studies first and do find a semi-permanent job. If you feel that you can't handle working full time for another company that's okay, just keep yourself busy and make sure there's some sort of income coming in. You will need that to start saving up for the start up of your business project.

Don't just rely on your friends or one individual to do the research, you need to do some as well. Everyone should do some research and pool it all together. Equal Teamwork!

It is a joint partnership, you need to know what you're getting yourself into. You should have little meetings with your friends to brainstorm and clarify ideas, narrow it down so everyone is clear on the 'dream'. Think about your roles and responsibilities.

Dreaming is for free and easy but it's the actual work everyone has got to be willing to put in that is going to test everyone's ability to make it work together as a team. So be prepared for the 'hardwork'.

Starting up takes time, so don't rush into it - plan and prepare. If anyone is unsure about anything, speak to each other until it has been resolved and clarified. Communication is key!

It will be tough to start off with but it will get easier afterwards.

But good luck, do let us know how it goes.

5. Marshmallow_Boy

We're planning t0 build 0ur platf0rm on a M0bile application. 0ur app is basically an idea sharing app.

Some ways for us to earn cash is help users fund their ideas, and we get a small percentage of the fundings.

Ads... Maybe.

Users can redeem Gift cards based on participation points. This is to attract more users to use our app, but this won't allows us to earn any cash. :)

6. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

Sounds like you want to create a mobile version of kickstarter or indiegogo. Anyways, if you truly 1000% believe in your business idea then go for it. I think you're single, young and with no obligations? so failing wont hurt that much hopefully. :shifty: Good luck.

7. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

Working for someone provides you with a stable income to support yourself and your family; but, you'll never be rich.
    Start a business is a big risk, with potentially big rewards.
    Before you decide to start a business, be true and honest to yourself when answering these questions - who / what will my app serve? Is there a void that my app can fill?

I'm not very social; in fact some may say, I'm downright private and anti-social, so, was not sure what you meant by "idea sharing app".

A simple google of that term returns a few interesting results:
    http://www.appappeal.com/apps/idea-sharing
    http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/godaddy-launches-flare-idea-sharing-app-on-ios/640180
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.ideashare

I watch alot of shark tank - so, I have these questions for you. What differentiates your app from the rest of the apps? Can you copyright it? I think alot of VC will be looking for that. And VC is where you'll get the seed money.
    And to be the evil and 'honest' Uncle Kevin, "what's stopping giants like GoDaddy from crushing you like a cockroach that you are?" :D

Just my 2 cents.

8. Marshmallow_Boy

Wow. Nice replies.

We're actually targeting youths like us to use this social media platform.
    I also had trouble understanding what an idea was at first, but an idea can be anything. It doesn't need to be product, it could be a topic that raises awareness.

You can be taking a dump/showering and you randomly thought of an idea. You can quickly jot it down by using the app. You can choose if you want the idea to be public/private, similar to the android app link ab289 posted.

If you don't have an idea, users can still contribute by replying to an idea. And the best part is they can still get payed$

Initially, I don't expect users to fund ideas yet since don't trust the app enough to give away their money, and the community isn't that huge at first. So, we can earn $ from ads. Probably videos ads.

We already hired someone who can help us with the development.

I won't be single no more when I'm $$$$.

#8 Marshmallow_Boy, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  9. Marshmallow_Boy

A lot has changed over these couple of month. The most important thing is that I have a girlfriend now. And without any sort of income, it lowers her confidence in me being able to support her in the future.

So, I currently made up my mind to look for a full time job.

I had a bit of a conflict with my team because I am the only co founder of the company who isn't working full time, so they decided to not give me equity in the company, but instead to give me a salary.
    BUT...After a long decision with the team, I've decided I don't want any money from the company since I don't want to give the team a hard time asking investors for more money just because of me.

So, I'm a bit lost right now. I actually do want some money, but because I'm not a full timer, I feel like I'm left out of the team.

I'm currently working part time (three days per week) in the company.

#9 Marshmallow_Boy, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. xaznxryux

welcome back!

how far did you get with the company though, you guys bringing in any revenue as of yet? It's very hard to be a business owner so it's understandable to see what you're going through. I'll say this though, a lot of big software companies nowadays all goes through adversity. If you're passionate enough, you'll get through the hump but definitely will take some time. It's also a good idea to get another full time job as you can also learn what other people are doing (assuming you're doing the same thing with the other job). Like my current company, they started in 1998, and went through a lot of adversities to get to where they are today. From what my CEO said, they started with also just about 4 people, went through the dot com bust, and then the financial collapse in 08. Now we're doing fine. All i gotta say is, if you're passionate enough of what you're doing and you're confident enough that there is a market in it, I say keep doing what you're doing!

Best of luck bro!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marshmallow_Boy

We haven't even finished developing the app yet...
    And the founder is already talking to investors and we are trying to finish the app by the end of May, but sometimes I don't see that can happen. It's like I lost confidence in the company.

The company started off with only three people and only me and the other guy are developers. The problem is that we don't have any experience in developing software applications. I sometimes feel like I'm wasting my time guessing around just to make the application work.

That's why I feel like working in well established company can really help me. At least I'm likely to have a senior who can help me develop my skill and at the same time grow with the company.

12. xaznxryux

it's good experience nonetheless, keep your head up! maybe that other job you just got will help shine a light in your tunnel! I mean there are probably other developers lurking in this channel who have good experience, perhaps keep them in mind? I'm a system engineer, so i can hopefully give some sort of insight to how your infrastructure is...probably won't help but probably give you an idea or something :)

best wishes!

• Agree Agree x 1