Without a leg

Discussion in 'Burning Flame III - 烈火雄心III' started by bvballer, Aug 6, 2009.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

There's a major difference between being driven (what Ah Ngau's was in the beginning) and obsession (what he later became in the show). Aside from the obsessiveness, he had become self-centered, impulsive, lacked emotional control, and in the end, rather self destructive. Wong Hei's characterization of Ah Ngau is pretty spot on for someone in need of some serious anger management.

Using amputation as a plot device in a show about firemen is a pretty risky gambit as it totally removes the ability of said firefighter (gender neutral title in the US as women are allowed to fight fires alongside men) to actively participate in fire fighting. If the plot is to have one such character compete against another, it is obviously one of an unequal struggle as Kevin Cheng's Ah Rex didn't suffer such a career changing loss. Maybe Ah Rex will lose his left leg (to match Ah Ngau's right leg loss) and in the end they heroically hobble together with one leg each? LOL... TVB often has some weird twists.

I agree that Wong Hei's Ah Ngau character in this series is rather edgy. But one has to just imagine if the roles were literally reversed, and Kevin Cheng had to play Ah Ngau; would he have been able to play the part as realistic and carried it off as well? Wong Hei got stuck with a much more complicated role and he absolutely has viewers convinced that he is Ah Ngau, warts and all.

That, boys and girls, is what acting is all about.

2. swirlbee

swirlbee Member

Wong He really carried the drama in the beginning, and when he wasn't acting, it became really draggy. I'm looking forward to some action and fires in the coming week's episodes! I hope they finally figure out the relationship problems (which I think tvb will make really draggy and long).

As for the previous comments about having a new person to lead Burning Flame, there's so many people who remembered the first 2 installments (where Wong He was SO GOOD !!), there would've probably been like public outrage if wong he wasn't in it.

Too little action in this one though =/

3. dickson

dickson Well-Known Member

so true

4. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I agree that Burning Flame has more or less become a franchise. But TVB is faced with a dilemma; the original death of the Wong Hei character. I assume that they did it back then for artistic reasoning; to heighten the drama and emotional response from viewers of the second series (to have him die a hero's death). At that point, I don't think they ever envisioned a BF3 at all.

But now that they're here at this point in time, they're stuck in a universe with an alternate realitiy because the original Wong Hei character is dead and they can't bring him back. So they had to create a new character for Wong Hei. This character, however, though a hero too, is seriously flawed. He is unreasonable, self absorbed to nearly a point of paranoia, along with being explosively impulsive. But taking a leg from him seriously cripples (no pun intended) this particular character's future for any inclusion into a BF4. Even if Wong Hei does come back in any capacity for BF4, TVB probably would lay the Ah Ngau character to rest, and be forced to create yet a third character for him. This role shifting seriously hurts the actor as people start to not know him as they had before. One minute he is this guy, and the next he becomes someone else, and then again, another guy? He rapidly becomes a stranger and fans won't find him familiar any more.

That is NOT how to build a franchise. Can anyone ever imagine Bruce Willis' John McClane ever dying in any of the Die Hard series, and then expect Willis successfully being brought back as a different character? Hardly. TVB really screwed the pooch with this one. There is no sense of long term character planning in any of their shows.

5. BestOffer

BestOffer Well-Known Member

thats why he commits suicide in the end? -what?

6. ♥TVXQ♥

♥TVXQ♥ Well-Known Member

omgosh its bad enough that TVB put Wong He into coma and sleep for what like 5-6 episodes and now he loses his leg too? what kind of boring plot is this series! Burning Flame is soooo boring without Wong He and its suppose to be about rescue and firefighters saving people and putting out fire, not about some relationship!

i mean...people won't even watch this series without Wong He. Maybe his character in BF3 is a bit annoying but they didnt have to make him lose his leg too. its so sad.

7. xhikarux

xhikarux Guest

having a handicapped man in a fire rescue in reality is not possible. looks like tvb is planning to put wong hei back into fire again. weired. BF2 was bad enough and BF3 is worst.

8. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Aren't bionicle leg metal? If so, wouldnt it heat up to melting point in a fire scene?

9. zhou

zhou Well-Known Member

ow i cant imagine him without a leg ...

10. i don't think they would continue the story of BF2 even if Wong Hei's character didn't die because BF1 and BF2 are two different stories with different characters... i just think they screwed up this script by making kevin and myolie so perfect and flawless whiling giving all the flaws to Wong Hei... it's his last BF series and he's stuck with the major supporting role

11. Well the whole leg film must be copying the De Niro / Cuba Jnr Diving film. If he can dive with one leg I am sure he can fight fire with one.

12. nightang3l

nightang3l Well-Known Member

well u can't really blame him for being persistent... it's myolie's fault for not coming forward earlier... and its hard to take in the fact that ur ho hing dai (good brother) and the 1 u love had a thing with each other and not let him know...

13. bijuu74

bijuu74 Member

ha, firefigher has good working life. injured can go work outside job. then can reinstate back anytime.

14. Soshified

Soshified Active Member

srsli in reality a fireman cant really be a fireman without one leg. Srsli TVB is like making it so unrealistic. BF3 is no where near as good as BF2 OR BF1

15. Hoang_X

Hoang_X Well-Known Member

thanks for judging me based on 1 comment i made... kinda lame for u to do that....

:punk:

you telling me you dont have a idol that u like for his/her looks, someone that you should watch no matter what the plot??? -noclue

16. zero_c

zero_c Well-Known Member

I'll watch any series with Dayo in it, but he is definitely not the best looking guy out there, heck he's probably not even in the top 50. But of course I'm watching Dayo because of his acting, not his looks.

17. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

^ (Y)

NO, sorry to disappoint you, but the answer is still a "NO". i aint da kinda gal, 內涵最緊要, if i aint interested, i aint gonna watch it

18. Hoang_X

Hoang_X Well-Known Member

So what is ur reason watching this series, since u wrote "viewers expecting wong hei"...

19. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

因為王喜已經係烈火系列的靈魂人物,雖然角色唔同,但係觀眾已經習慣咗,有烈火就會有王喜,

as for me, i'm one of the viewers who watched 烈火 since its first broadcast, so like i said above in chinese (i think it expresses more i wanna say if i use it in chinese). I don't watch it cuz there're lots of topless dudes in it or anything, i watch a series cuz i think it's interesting & it has a good cast.

20. arnica

arnica Well-Known Member

poor bloke .. shedded a few tears for him too.