WINDOWS 10

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by [N], Sep 30, 2014.

1. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

Cloud Storage (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) is nice option for backup, but always have a USB drive also in case there's no internet connection when you have to present or access something on the go, in class, or in a presentation.

Back to Windows 10, here are some issues people are having according to Windows Central
    Automatic updates
    Drivers
    Microsoft Edge (taking long time to load graphic sites, doesn't allow scrolling until page completely loaded)

2. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

That is true. I rarely procrastinate on assignments though, so they're always done a day or two before the deadline. Presentations, most professors require a USB cause it's a lot quicker anyways.

With drivers, usually with Windows 7 I will have to install drivers for networking. But with Windows 10, it automatically installed it by itself, which is very nice. The only driver I had to install by myself was graphics card, which was understandable.

Also, you can rename "This PC" to "My Computer". A very very small tweak which made me a lot satisfied than it should.

If you don't have "This PC" on your desktop, then search for This PC. Then Alt+Up, then you can rename it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Over time and over many OS installs, I've actually ditched most programs and embraced cloud type alternatives. Mainly due to the fact that I game less and do a lot more on the go on my phone these days lol :lol:

4. StephyLee

StephyLee Active Member

I hate USB's. It's either I keep losing them or the USB's get corrupted. For presentations, Google presentation provides you with the public presentation link, so I just type that link in the browser and present.

5. runtohell121

Just attach the USB to your keys or something... As for it being corrupted, if you were using a Mac, you have to eject the USB correctly, otherwise, it might get corrupted, but fixable. Google Docs is really useful, as long as you have a good internet connection.

H! Probably Windows 10 Pro, as my Windows 8 Pro version was from msdn. Might try upgrading my old Windows 7 laptop also.. once I get that little icon..

6. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

H!

Yep, Windows 10 Pro. So far, no problems at all. Adjusting to it quite nicely as well.

7. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

Going for x64, but will wait maybe a month or two first.... let everyone resolve all the compatibility issues :shifty:

Cloud is convenient and all, but not the best place to save sensitive info.

edit: oh.. not sure which windows version yet :shifty:

8. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

Those keys are legit?

I needa 64 bit 7 or 8. You only need to burn the cd if it's for clean install obv.

9. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

You can create a bootable USB drive if you have an image file. That's what I did for my clean install of W10. Saves me the time and saves me 1 DVD. :lol:

10. iksxc

iksxc Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do you guys think this settings menu looks drab! :sad:

Settings.PNG

11. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I like the classic control panel.. with the shit tons of icons.

Usually, just "search" what you need though. So if you need to uninstall a program.. serach "remove a program". IMO a lot quicker than trying to find it on that screen (unless you're familiar with it)

12. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

From my understanding it, its Win 7 and Win 8 with a new coat of paint. So most programs should be fine, because incompatible programs will automatically roll to the win 7 or 8 in order to run it.

BUT Solitaire is a paid service now......

13. Whoosh

Whoosh Well-Known Member

don't forget DirectX 12 for gaming! :)

14. StephyLee

StephyLee Active Member

My windows 8 tablet only have 8gb of storage space, so am I able to do the upgrade since someone mentioned the size of the installation is 18gb. :)

15. runtohell121

Hmm.. 8gb? not sure, just keep checking the Windows Update and see if there's any notification on upgrading to Windows 10.

16. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Not too sure. There might be another version for tablets. The <20GB ones are for computers.

17. StephyLee

StephyLee Active Member

Wait sorry, I actually have 23.5GB of internal storage. So, if I upgrade to Windows 10, I'll only have around 5 GB of space left? lololol

18. runtohell121

I don't think that's how it works... Normally with upgrades, it writes new files and then delete the old one, so you might have a little more or less space, depending on how much space Windows 10 actually use when upgrading from Windows 8.1

19. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Source

StephyLee So yes, you can probably upgrade to Windows 10.