WINDOWS 10

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by [N], Sep 30, 2014.

1. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

Downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 rather than waiting for Msoft to prompt me. Chose iso media to try on VM because not sure I'll like it yet. Had to try twice; first time, got "something happened" crap.
    DL at work with crazy speed; so, it was pretty quick. DL x32 separate from x64. x32 file size is 2.41gb and x64 is 3.10gb. So, hope that helps anyone wondering.

2. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

How big is the install on a fresh install?

3. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Yep.. that something happened error is BS. I still can't create an ISO. Will have to try later.. hoping to think it's their server..

4. you mean the input media? or the actual installed size on the disk?

The first for me is 3.87GB, the latter i'll tell you after I install

5. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Yea, the ISO file is about 3.8GB.. but according to this website.. x64 is 11GB on disk and x32 is 9GB on disk.

Personally can't confirm cause I upgraded. And it will be the last time I'll be doing an upgrade. Fresh install all the way.

6. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

do you mean the entire OS install is only 11GB? isn't that quite small?

edit: just checked that site, that seems really small for an OS install :hmm:

7. runtohell121

H! yeah I mean the install size on the disk.

If it's 11gb, that's pretty small.. but then most fresh install were small, only until updates came and took up most of the space lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. runtohell121

Really tempted to install on my MacBook Pro via Boot Camp just to test it out and for fun.. but the drivers are not optimized for Windows 10 yet from what I read, meaning terrible battery life...

9. how have you founf your macbook with bootcamp + windows?

I was tossing up that idea earlier this year but didn't end up buying a macbook cos it was tooo expensive

10. runtohell121

Oh, I haven't installed boot camp on my MacBook Pro Retina 13 (2015) yet, concerned about the space available on the SSD.

I previously had Windows 7 running on my MacBook Air 11 (2011) and it was decent and smooth, but the trackpad needs some improving, along with the battery life.

11. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Let's just say I have only used 18GB on my C drive (primary), with only OS, video card driver, and programs installed .

Programs include Chrome, Mozilla, Skype, Steam, winRAR and iTunes. I don't think the programs take up that much space though. So for sure it's less than 20GB.

On a side note, I said fuck it. Doing a clean install. It was 10x faster than upgrade so I definitely recommend doing a fresh install.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. StephyLee

StephyLee Active Member

I might try to upgrade it on my Windows 8 tablet. Can anyone confirm does the upgrade make your PC faster?

13. runtohell121

It shoudl be about the same or a little bit faster than Windows 8.

14. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Mother fk.. there's always that ONE folder I forget to backup when reformatting. Nothing too important but it's just very time consuming to get it back.

15. ^ this... i hate this...i get paranoid about not backing up everything..

16. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

All my videos and music are on my external, and I always unplug it before I reformat (avoid any accidental reformat during the install).

It was my school folder. Just some downloaded notes and some assignments which are handed in. Thank god my assignment was due yesterday and I submitted it, or else I would've been SOO screwed. Normally I use google drive for assignments like this.. not sure why I didn't this time.

17. ^ buahahaha same. most my stuff is on external hdd or in dropbox/google drive... great minds think alike Jeff (Y)

18. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Especially in a cloud drive, I can work on assignments at home or at work.. without bringing a USB around. :)

And when the times you want to fresh install, the majority of your files are backed up. Then the programs you don't really use gets wiped. It's annoying to install it again when you need it, but most of the times you won't even notice it's deleted!

19. StephyLee

StephyLee Active Member

I used Google Drive all the time, I also create backup, in email message form, for my Drive in case my account gets messed up.