Why I gave up religion

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by vintage, Jan 19, 2008.

1. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

lol i have thoughts in my head but just don't have the vocabulary to explain it that's why it's confusing i guess.

But yea to everyone out there think what u want and for the religious people i guess just stay true to yourself and just don't let the teachings consume your whole mind, like don't just say Buddhism> Life Christianity> Life, just have some of your own input in things and think more rationally. My Two cents.

2. wait... uhh... i dont understand what you wrote.. religion > life? like.... you mean extremists?

am i an extremist? lol just making sure..

3. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

^not aimed towards u, damn i even tried seperating the sentences to show that haha.....just saying: don't be an extremist to the others lols... confused ya again...

4. ^ no no i sort of figured that... just making sure lol

5. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

and a few remarks thrown toward bbes as a spammer eh.

6. themvcc

themvcc Member

Good choice. I have been an atheist ever since I can remember. I've been to buddhist temples, church events, and etc... after talking to some of the people in this group I knew it wasn't for me. They are out to get your money and build up power (the pope anyone?).

7. ^ buddhists dont steal your money <_<

8. !!!TwiLite!!!

!!!TwiLite!!! Well-Known Member

Of course there ppl, who say they are buddhist and steal money!! =P

I never gave up on religion because i was never religious..

I think ppl nowadays aren't religious because there are soo many flaws...and problems there is nothing
    to be trusted so i guess that is why..

I was raised on Buddhism Philosophies...but there are some aspects that ppl "tell me" that i don't agree
    with..but other than that..i think its pretty good..

i don't consider buddhism as a religion, i guess i'm just different. =/

I think that ppl who are into a religion.philosphy are relying on what they believe in, its something to base on, and to be
    secure in (cuz not knowing something is scary). Its not necessarily a bad thing. =P

9. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

at least you chose a path that you can enjoy

10. mobidoo

mobidoo Well-Known Member

Glad you found your peace within.

I think organised religion sometimes place too much emphasis and peer pressure for people to conform, and that sometimes can go overboard.

And you are quite right to point out the chunks of suffocating rules and regulations. A Guilt ridden guilt trip isn't going to bring happiness in the long ran.

But I believe religion have a place. But I am always careful when it is use to condemn certain behaviours. So the religion might be in essence beautiful but its the men who goes about being waving the texts that are really missing the point.

Same goes for other idealogies of any sort. Even if we reject religion, somehow the branding continues. You might be labelled as a Atheist, thiest etc etc etc.

Just no way out sometimes. To keep sane, I suggest the middle path. Subscibe to the core messages of what is good about the religion or any idealogy for that matter. But just remove yourself from the bits that really bogs you down.

Overtime, the beauty of the ideal "inclusiveness" compassion and love for all men would flow beautifully.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Cheers :)