Why Does Pizza Taste so Good Cold!?

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by AsianInvasion, Feb 18, 2010.

1. AsianInvasion

AsianInvasion Well-Known Member

Cold pizza passes the taste test

A Scottish chemistry lecturer believes she has discovered the scientific reason why cold, left-over pizza, tastes so good the morning after. Dr Maureen Cooper, from Stirling University, says the answer lies in the properties of the tomato puree.
    The traditional pizza base has fibres which trap water, preventing it from seeping through to the cooked dough and making it soggy.

[​IMG]
    Cold chips don't go down as well

Given that fat and water do not mix, the melted cheese topping then sits nicely above the puree. Dr Cooper explained: "We all see the grease on plates which causes washing-up liquid to float on top.
    "That is because oil and water do not mix. That same phenomenon can be applied to the cold pizza.
    "Because the fat does not go through to the base, the pizza itself tastes so much better.
    "That is not the same for chips, which are not recommended for eating cold.
    National Science Week
    "Unfortunately the chips don't taste nice because the fat congeals. It's the fat which goes solid when the food is no longer warm.
    "However, oil at room temperature stays liquid, which feels much nicer on the tongue."

[​IMG]
    Cold curry is another winner

Dr Cooper made public her research during the recent National Science Week, which set out to make the subject more interesting to the general public. The scientist also thinks she can explain why cold curry tastes much better the day after.
    "Spices that are used to make a curry are those which promote digestion.
    "So, in terms of aromatherapy, things like clove oil, ginger and garlic are all essential oils which help digestion. While the left-over curry sits, the oils and spices are continuing to tenderise the meat.
    "By eating curries we are giving ourselves an aromatherapy session from the inside out."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/scotland/692122.stm

Man I've wondered about this too, and I have to admit I really do love cold pizza.... sometimes more than warm =] hehehe i always thought it was just my laziness to warm it that made it so much more delicous. Has anyone ever tried cold fried chicken? I heard its delicous ;D

2. i like cold chips, i always heat my pizza

3. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

Cold pizza + ranch dressing = win.

4. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

Mmmm... cold cheesy beef pizzzzza *drooooools*

5. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

cold pizza is a no no for me .. i always get stomach ache eating cold overnight food except rice .. lol .. perhaps i am too azn...lol

6. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

I hate soggy cheese...I always re-heat my pizza, its worth the 2-5 minute wait.

7. 2-5 mins? 20 secs in the microwave ftw

8. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

2 -5 minutes is too long dude! less than a minute will do

9. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

fuck cold pizza. toaster oven the shit n ur good to go.

10. robsh

robsh Well-Known Member

I always knew there is always something special with my leftover curry from my local streatham
    and i thought it was the alcohol i has the night before that helped my appetite...

11. ichik0

ichik0 Active Member

hot food should be consumed hot..cold pizza is a nono for me

12. jjgarrick

jjgarrick Well-Known Member

cold pizza taste good because you are very hungry

13. mingchin

mingchin Active Member

no thanks! i don't like anything left-over. pizza tastes so much better when it's hot and just out of the oven! maybe cold pizza tastes good to people who are hungover and hungry..

14. GalaxyRhythm

GalaxyRhythm Member

definitely prefer pipping-hot pizzas :p

15. ipohchye

ipohchye Member

cold pizza is disgusting! hot is much better.

16. yyping88

yyping88 Active Member

Prefer hot pizza with crispy crust than a cold one.