Why are Chinese People so Good at Maths?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by minimo, May 30, 2007.

1. Yong-Shi

Yong-Shi Well-Known Member

Maybe it has to do with the level of required mathematical standards in China. It seems as though math is much more advanced throughout China and HK as compared to foreign countries such as America and Britain. I'm Chinese living in the U.S. and my math skills are terrible. My highest level of math is Pre-Calculus and I'm a university student. I pretty much failed that class, haha.

2. doubleblanks

doubleblanks Well-Known Member

I dunno, I somehow was good at maths but I suck at english. I'll do maths anyday!

3. FishieExP

FishieExP Well-Known Member

im guessing cuz chinese ppl were really smart in math and science in the ancient times
    you ever see those ancient chinese series? they kno all about the body and invented calculators

4. babybaby

babybaby Member

I think its because hong kong has a strict learning standard and that the living environmentis surrounded by numeracy (money, shares, markets etc)

5. jogii

jogii Member

I hate that everyone says and assumes that..

At school whenever there's a test, EVERYONE says i will get the best marks. You should see the looks on their faces when they find out i got one of the worst scores in the class!

Maths is my worst class ever - i am HOPELESS with numbers. I hate maths so much!! I'm definately dropping it next year. -lol

6. kenryuakuma

kenryuakuma Active Member

Some of you guys are wrong...Not all Chinese are good at Math. Some other people, such as Vietnamese, White and Indians, Greek or Portuguse are pretty good at math as well. Math is easier to those who like to think a lot hence, most of the Chinese prefer math.

7. Ruriko

Ruriko Member

aren't Chinese always the ones that's thought ot be smart in school and people wants to copy work off you or something? lol in school I prove most people wrong for thinking Chinese people are really smart because i'm quite laid back and I'm not good at math at all. I had to cheat in the tests just because I fall asleep in math class.

8. Tray-C

Tray-C Member

Not necessarily. I personally love maths and hate english. I like subjects where theres an absolute answer and its not like english and theres never a right answer. I have quite a lot of friends who suck at science like me and aren't that great at maths either. Really depends...

9. chimagun

chimagun Well-Known Member

i'm probably one of the few unique chinese who suck at math. lol

10. simonxchu

simonxchu Member

lol im WACK in math

11. doubleblanks

doubleblanks Well-Known Member

EXACTLY why I like maths since most of the time you can check answers especially prove questions and if other people got the same as you, you know you are on the right track and it usually make sense.

12. tengteng89

tengteng89 Active Member

i don't know, but i know that many russian people are also good in maths.

13. ct-wong

ct-wong Member

im quite good at maths and science, yh why are most chinese people so good? my teacher sed that the government (in uk) expects chinese people 2 e gud at every subject and the school will not get credit if a chinese students get good grades compared to other ethnic groups.

14. aznbabyangel

aznbabyangel Member

lolz so not tru...i suck at maths one n onli subject i failed badly...mah mum is realli gud at maths n so she was hopin i wud b gud too buh nupz

15. Wazado

Wazado Member

o really? math is my favorite subject and its the only thing im good at it in school. but my brother is a bit different, he's not good at it. my other brother/sister's favorite subect is also math.

16. uraha

uraha Well-Known Member

Chinese poeple are born with good math skills. personally i suck at math.
    Chinese students have tutors everyday after school. They just do the math you do earlier then you. in grade one they learn addition, subtraction, multiplication and division while you are still learning to count to 1 to 100. They need phd and master degrees to get a job in china. If you don't do well you can't get a good job.

17. x0 Applers 0x

x0 Applers 0x Member

its probably and most likely because math is universal. Everyone can do math. English on the other hand is harder because growing up chinese is our first language. learning english is like learning an entire new language and vocabularly starts off weak. for math, it is more universal and more emphasized because it exist in almost every occupation.

18. lyhoa05

lyhoa05 Member

-dead-dead-dead math is a knife cutting my head also

19. dhunter

dhunter Well-Known Member

I tohught it was so that we can hcount and make money and rip other people off...

20. Riceeatter415

Riceeatter415 Member

i guess were just good with money which ='s math