which sounds better: songs sung in canto or madarin

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by whatdoido, Jun 3, 2006.

1. crazyvoni

crazyvoni Well-Known Member

cantonese have this i dunno deep husky kinda voice and you cant really fake it with some nasty kiddy voice unless mando where you can. i still mostly like mando songs better but some are really obnoxious because they can use their head voice all the time. feels like canto makes you not use that voice.

2. chickenutbread

chickenutbread Well-Known Member

wouldn't it depend on which language you can understand in addition to the singer him/herself and the genre right?

3. honkiebonkie

honkiebonkie Well-Known Member

i can totally relate. When i listen to mando, i'm just like nah it sounds weird. Unless its a really good song !! with a very very nice tune. Otherwise i like canto + i can understand way better, the song has meaning again.

4. sean222

sean222 Well-Known Member

ya it really depends on the song, and how well the artist can pronounce the words, like taiwanese singers, their manda songs are all good, but if you get them to sing canto, it'll sound bad....plus the type of songs would vary by gender, a female singing jacky cheung's love you more each day, sounds bad....but any male, would sound good

5. gogo123

gogo123 Well-Known Member

mandarin hands down

6. BabyKazef

BabyKazef Member

i like both. he he

7. ahhbailey

ahhbailey Member

depends on the song, most likely canto =)

8. frostshards

frostshards Well-Known Member

usually mandarin but for certain songs such as "pride" by joey yung, cantonese ...
    (im canto btw)

9. subaru3169

subaru3169 Well-Known Member

i just like whatever sound good la.. but i only understand cantonese heh

10. davu4eva

davu4eva Well-Known Member

well im a bit biased on this...since i speak mando at home, but my grandparents are canto..i think canto sounds ugly *no offense*...i like songs in mando

11. glitterysky

glitterysky Member

Both. I think it really depends on the song and artist. I usually like Mandarin more but I think it's because Canto can be difficult to sing sometimes because it sounds so rough.

12. Jimmo

Jimmo Well-Known Member

Mando sounds Smoother, but I really like Canto music better.

13. sauvage

sauvage Member

I like both canto and mando, but prefer canto. I feel that the lyrics flow and sound better like in Alan Tam songs. There are also some nice songs in mando.