What's the best way to learn mandarin at home?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by parcben, Jan 11, 2006.

1. parcben

parcben Member

My boss has put my name forward to work in china this summer because she assumed i could speak fluent mandarin.
    I would still like to go so i need to learn the language and be able to communicate well in it.
    Anyone have any advice?

2. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Here's a few things:

DL Tool
    You can download a mini-dictionary/translator program that catches everything you copy. So, for example, if you see a word you don't know on your computer, you copy it and it gives you pinyin and a English translation -- If your computer can type/write chinese, you can write out a word in notepad and let it translate. This is especially handy if you see a word and you don't know it -- faster than browsing thru a traditional dictionary.
    http://dltool.sourceforge.net/

Online Flashcards
    This website has over 2000 words/phrases in flashcard form, complete with English translation and pinyin. It's good because it covers the 2000 most common words/phrases in the language.
    http://www.yellowbridge.com/language/flashcards.html

Other than that, just talk to people.
    Hope this helps, and good luck. -^_^

3. Fobstar

Fobstar Guest

i recommend u take these audio courses ASAP 6 months to learn manderin is pretty hard but not impossible if u can master "Pimsleur's Manderin" you could communicate somewhat the basic sayings -clapclap

not sure how far u are in manderin but the best way to try and speak fluently in all language courses is to take the actual courses where u have a teacher and other people to communicate with.

Attached Files:

4. parcben

parcben Member

Thanks for the help
    i took a course last year so i can understand mandarin but my speaking isn't that good as i'm always worried about my cantonese or scottish accent coming thru.
    I'm going to try and just speak it whenever i get the chance

5. i listen to jay chou -whistle -lol

6. wazesz

wazesz Active Member

I would try some audio books and just talking to ppl in mandarin because the stuff u learn from text/audio are usually too formal.

7. sweetbox

sweetbox Member

Yeah, like Shinobi I often listen to Chinese music to improve my Chinese. But I think the best way to speak Chinese well is to talk to Chinese people.

8. popalopa

popalopa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I would like to learn Chinese too maybe by myself cause I don't have time to take a class. But I will learn mandarin and most of the Chinese artists sing in cantonese right? Maybe I'll get confused?

9. kakashijounin

kakashijounin Member

i think audio files would help you get the basics of it, and maybe a elementary textbook for learning chinese. you won't be amazing by the end of it, but hopefully it'll help when you encounter real life situations in china.

10. hkguy

hkguy Member

just sing the songs =P lol thats what i do haha

11. parcben

parcben Member

found another really good way of learning mandarin.
    currently watching tv series and movies with subtitles but just have to be careful about relying too much on subtitles.

12. lol i do that all the time, haven't worked for me.

13. april07

april07 Active Member

Try to read the character. learn simple one first.
    I am learning too but I need to get good resources for them.
    I do speak and able to listen to mandarin but I want to understand the characters. good luck Parcben

14. chocomilk

chocomilk Well-Known Member

take online class

15. j_29

j_29 Active Member

i try to sing along and read the lyrics at the same time so i get to know the pronounciation and receognize the characters =)

16. Chey

Chey Member

using the internet or local mandarin courses are you best bet.

17. tictacrx

tictacrx Member

i hear that just watching movies and series in chinese is a great way...that's how my boyfriend learned

18. diclonius

diclonius Member

music and movies worked for me^^ but cantonese was my frist language so it might have been easier for me..

19. ddsmd

ddsmd Member

I just pick up the lyrics to the chinese songs that I listen to. It's great for recognizing words, but in terms of understanding them, it is still quite tough for me! haha

20. sweetlilpiggy

sweetlilpiggy Member

How about Cantonese? I want to learn Cantonese....