What is Christmas About?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by cadeline, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cadeline

cadeline Well-Known Member

Think that the recent comment from the bishop on the news have some truth in it. He said that Christmas is not Christmas if people are not allowed to celebrate it the way they choose, religiously. What is Christmas really about? It is the symbolic day to mark the birth of Christ (not the actual day) Simple. We Christians celebrate and rejoice His birth. Simple! I think the whole focus should be just this simple.

2. sze ern

sze ern Member

That is very true.. Christmas is all about Christ's birth.. he is the Son of God and he came down to this earth to save us all! i see many non-Christians (and also Christians) celebrating Christmas in many ways.. some just go for shopping and pretend it's some ordinary day. But it's not! if possible, we Christians have to celebrate this in church and have fellowship with the members. Sorry if i'm talking to much -sweat

3. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Just curious, why would Christmas be celebrated in the middle of winter if Christ is not in fact BORN on December 25? How was this particular date chosen?

4. We celebrate Christ's Birthday on the 25th of December, some celebrate his birth on different days other than the 25th. you can celebrate Christ's birth in July for all i care. all i know is Jesus was born and we celebrate his birth. we don't know the exact day he was born so regardless of what month his birth is celebrated there will still be people out there with something negative to say. we celebrate it in the middle of winter, if one day someone finds out the actual date Jesus was born then that would be a good thing indeed.

I believe the catholic church caused his birthday to be celebrated on the 25th to coincide with other belief systems in an attempt to bring them closer in some way, religious harmony or something like that, christians do their thing, pagans do their thing. im not aware of what pagans do on that day if they do anything but i know what i do and that is celebrate Christ's birth.

5. moor_moth

moor_moth Well-Known Member

It's about whatever you want it to be about.

6. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

The Pagan calendar has 21/12 as the winter solstice which is the longest night (and shortest day) of the year, also known as the sun's birth... Celebrating "Christmas" on 25/12 can possibly be an attempt to absorbing the Pagan's celebration of the sun's birth.

It all goes back to the argument why would deceptions used to "convince" people to follow and in turn celebrate a religion.

Which is a over-commercialized day off... :p BTW, I think it is silly to stop non-Christians from celebrating Christmas...

7. jud123

jud123 Member

Christmas: the day you thank everything and everybody

8. Xint

Xint Member

I think christmas means for the most of the people, presents.
    I was raised as a christian, but I don't believe it.

9. RockkxD

RockkxD Moderator

Christmas is the day where you get LOTS and LOTS of presents!

10. bbes

bbes Incredible

to most ppl its about presents, especially young kids but its about a whole deal more. we are celebrating the birth of jesus. on the other hand u do get school plays so i reckon kids celebrate it for both but adults its just presents.

11. RockkxD

RockkxD Moderator

Presents are awesome, yippies!

12. emawlee28

emawlee28 Well-Known Member

the religous way is about christ but yah some ppl have forgotten bout xmas.
    take for exmaple the asians . well maybe not all asians but most asians we only think bout gifts :D

13. bbes

bbes Incredible

thats bcos alot of asians aren't christians lol so therefore to them it's just presents.

14. RockkxD

RockkxD Moderator

That's so true, even it's like we are celebrating Christmas and giving out presents.. but are we really celebrating it?

15. bbes

bbes Incredible

i think its become more of a tradition with santa claus rather than the birth of jesus for other ppl in other countries. cos santa claus is the one who gives out the presents.

16. I find xmas is like family gather, find it like headache when hearing parents and relative comparing each others kids argh and hearing them swearing is omg lol, xmas present for all off us chinese we are lucky rite cause get lai c red pocket in another words but they nv buy present hehe don't u dink so? :p

17. lasalle

lasalle Well-Known Member

It means joy ... families and friends can get together and celebrate about nothing.. just fun.

18. top

top Active Member

sno..presents and spending your midnight stalking for santa clause!

19. chrizxtt

chrizxtt Member

christmas reminds me the birth of Jesus who send down by God to save us...

20. Battousai

Battousai Member

If Christmas is Christmas, who cares when it becomes more like a tradition and a good tradition when all people can be happy about it. When we all are drunked we dont know what is what anymore, just relax and have a fun party. There are some people who even join in ramadan party without having fasted.