What do you think of TVB series in general ?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by sango, Feb 28, 2013.

1. sango

sango Well-Known Member

Feel free to post your comments here.

[​IMG]

#1 sango, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. sango

sango Well-Known Member

I like watching tvb series.
    One thing I really hate about tvb series is the script writing. Almost all tvb series are dumb, predictable and full of cliches.
    Is it that hard to make a serious serie with a well written story line ?

3. zack55555

zack55555 Well-Known Member

I grew up watching TVB series in the 80s, at that time, all the series were awesome. Great actors, stories etc. HK's entertainment industry has been a big influence to all the other asian countries at that time.

Unfortunately, the quality has dropped so much over the past decade or two I feel embarrassed to even admit that I still watch TVB series.

4. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

^agree with u, 200%

5. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Inbound Troubles and Reality Check, a new style. I like it.

6. colbne

colbne Well-Known Member

I do like watching tvb series but I feel they should value and take care of some of its artistes. It's such a waste that good people like Steven Ma, Wong Hei, etc are no longer with them.

7. STEVENiSMiNE

STEVENiSMiNE Active Member

used to be the best.. but what happened...??

8. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

Recycled stories... if it ain't about the lawyer, then its about the police officer, if it ain't about business owners than its about family... Where is the variety in stories and genres?

Oh yeah... Hong Kong culture prevents producers and screen writers to go further than they should... netizens complain about a simple Bra scene, imagine they did Game of Thrones (I use this because I am eagerly waiting on season 3) in Hong Kong, I doubt the series would see the light of day with the amount of "adult" material that is shown there.

9. sango

sango Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. TVB uses the same formulas over and over again. It's always the same love and family problems like
    a hate relationship turned into love, a love triangle, a son who hates his father but in the end he forgives him, good people gets rewarded and bad people always gets punished and another thousands cliches like these.

Do the HK people not complain about all the dumb tvb series ?
    Why is the Hong Kong culture so old fashioned (there is never any sex or violence) ?
    TVB should really modernise their series instead of keeping stuck in the past.

10. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

I like it, it's cliche, predictable, but TVB has provided entertainment for the past few decades!

I enjoy it. I think we all watch it, cuz the conclusion is always a good one.

11. sango

sango Well-Known Member

Seriously ?

Most people hate TVB endings.

12. wilsonli

wilsonli Well-Known Member

I think TVB tried to change his style with some new series like When Heaven Burns or Inbound Troubles. But they are still lacking of a bit of creativity. If you see dramas and sitcoms from the US you'll find a huge variety, for different viewers and different options. It's hard to compare since they are different markets but i do think TVB has to take a step forward and give us a whole different range of series. Don't get me wrong, I love the police and lawyers stuff, but from time to time it'll be good to have some new ideas for the viewers, with better scripts and plots, and please with more creative and realistic endings.

13. sango

sango Well-Known Member

When hktv gets a broadcasting license, maybe then tvb will try to improve the quality of their series.
    Because now tvb can do whatever they want cause they have no competition at all.

14. sango

sango Well-Known Member

wtf !

Recently it's just one crappy serie after another.

15. BestOffer

BestOffer Well-Known Member

the worst rating that i know of is still far better than atv's ratings
    however two series with low ratings shouldn't be applied to that all tvb dramas suck
    i just watch in regards of ratings, i understood both plots from the recent ones, i don't know why people don't understand them...
    if the plot is too hard to understand, those have low education or not paying enough attention?

same with movies, is all the same, bad guy good guy, bad guy wins first, good guy comes back, it just cycles
    stories can be copied or based on true stories, i doubt there will be entirely new stories...

16. chrisnfc07

chrisnfc07 Well-Known Member

to be honest as long as the concept is good and written well which has emotion, family then its a good drama such as Inbound Troubles and Reality Check. this year i feel these are the two good drama.
    i understand there have been a lot of complains over beauty in war 2. i accept that the first 10 episodes are quite boring but onwards its a really good drama.
    Regarding violent scenes, i don't think it needs to change as traditional way is good.
    Sex and violent really depends whether the drama really needs it. i don't see that because there is no sex then the rating for the drama will be really bad. its all about emotion and the concept of the drama whether its good or not.

17. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Isn't the issue of predictability due to production cost versus income? Creativity and originality cause high risk and high production costs. If I draw an analogy with restaurant for the palate, it is risky to produce creative and original meat dishes when customers keep on ordering the usuals!

18. hellokittysansan

The standard of the current TVB dramas are getting really bad because they are just too boring and dull to watch. I've even switched over to watch Taiwan and China dramas instead now.

19. Piggywings

Piggywings Member

I love watching dramas from TVB. Most of them have such a good stories, even though they are now getting the same line on the story, I still found it pretty interesting. My daily thing!

20. sango

sango Well-Known Member

People complained about tits 2 because they found many scenes were too inappropiate.
    It's the year 2013 for crying out loud, in my opinion a little nudity or sex in tvb series is no big deal.
    wtf is wrong with the hk people ?
    If you show them Game of thrones or True blood they will probably get a heart attack lol.