What do you love about being chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Glyceryl, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Glyceryl

Glyceryl Member

My boyfriend is viet, at his house everyone speaks mainly chinese. From his grandparents, they learned chinese o.o... so now even my boyfriend is full blood viet, he doesn't speak any viet at all. I don't know that is some kind of very odd reason but it's making me proud of being chinese...
    -noclue

2. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Annam 安南, is what the Ming dynasty used to call its southern most region, what is now known as the northern part of Vietnam. There is a tremendous amount of ethnic Chinese that still live in Vietnam, though their cultural heritage has now been infused with many aspects of Viet culture. The country Annam, officially changed its name to Vietnam in the 1950's.

As for your BF speaking Chinese? Why not? He is Chinese. That is, he speaks Chinese at home because he is ethnically Chinese; your proof of this is that his grandparents all spoke Chinese to begin with. They just happened to be living in Vietnam. That's no different than an ethnically Chinese family living in the US, ie. speak Chinese at home and English in the street.

As for what I love about being Chinese? The history of our people.

3. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

eh...being able to speak write listen read w/ no problem...culture...food <3

4. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

what do i love about being chinese?
    yup, our history, culture, food <3 and music from chinese artists...although nowadays,its a bit iffy lol

5. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

language, food, and definitely the music. actually i love everything about being chinese!

6. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Love the language, might be hard to learn but its worth it, food, music, Stephy

7. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

^我會快樂的 belongs to theresa *cough cough*

one more thing: we dont age as fast as westerners.

8. kawaiigirl

kawaiigirl Well-Known Member

I love everything ! Food, history, music ... All :D Just really proud to be chinese.

9. WeakNiZ

WeakNiZ Well-Known Member

I Love Chinese Girls. Makes my Heart Beat Fast And Slow at the Same TIme.
    My parents is Chinese, by they don't like China because of the abusive, violent and evil political parties.

The question "What do you like about being Chinese" makes me think.

Reason #
    1. I'm born Chinese, it's hard not to like being Chinese if your already Chinese
    2. Chinese parents are awsome, a little abusive, but that is how they teach, and every hit is full of love. xD
    3. Us Chinese are all over the place, taking the world, few million everywhere.
    4. WHO invented firecrackers, and the wheels. SO many Chinese inventions. The Japanese was Chinese once! They create some many awsome games, animes and food.

Ahhhh, Chinese people makes the world go round!

10. DarkDD

DarkDD Member

I like the food, tvb :p, culture, music.

11. gianglin

gianglin Member

I like being chinese. 1. We have very good history. 2. culture is special especially when looking at the minorities. 3. language can be many but knowing mandarin can speak 90% chinese.

12. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

I thought the History of China is rather fucked up...
    But shit has to be done...

Nonetheless, I love the culture, the hair, the fashion, the lifestyle, the everything
    (I am actually focusing on the HKese part...)

13. crazy_man206

crazy_man206 Well-Known Member

your proof fell apart because she said the grandparents learned Chinese. that and she already said he was full blooded viet.

then you go on and say he is actually ethnic Chinese LOL.

14. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

The huge penis..... wait, wrong race ><

15. blkperc

blkperc Well-Known Member

:facepalm:....

anyways, i have to agree that our history was f'ed up. We had many wars, many dynasties, enslaving and killing our own people to build up barriers and walls, gave many territories and land to other countries.. but i'm pretty sure every culture had screwed up once...lol

16. .Cameron

.Cameron Well-Known Member

The huge heritage....

[​IMG][​IMG]

(It's traditional chinese clothing Hanfu)

From traditional clothing, festivals and old culture...

...to all the beautiful sites and history. It's ranked third on the UNESCO World Heritage Site
    after Italy and Spain and first on the UNESCO Intangible Heritage.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#16 .Cameron, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  17. ralphrepo

IMHO, it was actually your reading comprehension that fell apart when you mistakenly read: "From his grandparents, they learned Chinese..." instead as "his grandparents learned Chinese..." The OP statement (as written), meant that everyone in the household, including the grandchildren, learned Chinese from the grandparents. Again, the likelihood here is that the grandparents were Chinese to begin with, so it was natural for them to speak Chinese at home, thus teaching it to their kids and then grand kids. This type of expatriate native language immersion within the immigrant home is typical in just about every corner of the world. Immigrant children learn and retain their parent's native tongue despite living in another land simply because of constant parental use of the other language at home where the child grows up.

Further, as for the BF being a full blooded Viet, it is no different a situation from the millions of ABC's who are ethnically Chinese, but full blooded American, because they were born and reared in the United States.

LOL indeed.

#17 ralphrepo, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  18. tkt138

tkt138 Active Member

You are just confusing. The parents and the grand parents are from China. Your BF was born in Vietnam. He is still Chinese and speaking Chinese.

19. crazy_man206

crazy_man206 Well-Known Member

where did you learn english...

"From his grandparents, they learned Chinese..."

'they' means his grandparents when written that way. what you think would be written "they learned Chinese, from his grandparents". in that case "they" would mean the rest of the family. however, when it comes AFTER grandparents, a matching pronoun would imply the before mentioned group in the same sentence.

ROFL no ABC says he is full blooded american. wtf is that hahaha. you need to learn the difference between identities and ethnicity through blood. an overseas born saying he is american is not the same as him saying he is "full blooded american" implying white.

20. ralphrepo

The start of a new thought would be better served by a semicolon and not a comma. The difference is, with the comma, it ties the preposition of FROM and THEY; while with the semicolon it ties the GRANDPARENTS and THEY. The difference is, the first would take my meaning, the second would take yours. But what are the chances that the OP would be an English major that would inherently know the difference? Probably slim to none. So in effect, in hindsight, linguistically, I now agree that it could be either because the sentence may have been written badly. However, given the social probability of native Viet learning Chinese and then teaching their kids, versus Chinese immigrants living in Vietnam teaching their kids their own tongue, I would still go with the latter and not the former. Again, like I had previously stated, this phenomenon is evident across the world as a general immigrant experience in the manner that I had describe. To validate this further, I would suggest that the OP look for signs of Chinese specific cultural (and not just language) references and clues; observance of holidays or other Chinese specific customs as evidence of their being ethnically Chinese that were simply transplanted to Vietnam.

As for full blooded American; that certainly does not mean white or European, nor is it tied to any ethnicity. Anyone born and raised in the US is considered a full blooded American. This is because the US is historically a land of immigrants; everyone comes from somewhere. Their children however, then have the right to call themselves full blooded American. For that matter, even the Chinese government considers all their ethnic minorities (Uighers, Tibetans, Miao, etc), to be full blooded Chinese.

You can pick yourself up from the floor now.