Web Design or Accounting???

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by alejandroch, Aug 26, 2009.

1. alejandroch

alejandroch Member

I'm starting college this fall.....im interested in accounting and web design...which one do you guys think is the better choice........some people telling me that accounting is good.....i wanna heard some opinions from you guys....

2. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

accounting is safer than web design imo, but really, which one are u interested & good at? ask urself.

3. dickson

dickson Well-Known Member

more jobs after u leave college if u do accounting......but its boring as hell....im doing accounting atm

4. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

accounting is really really boring but the $$$$$ makes up for it. and like kay said, accounting is much safer because even in rough economies, accountants will still be in demand (at least here in the US)

5. become an accountant like me, its very good, and its NOT BOOOORING if you like it, if it is then your in the wrong business cus you got a lifetime of boring ahead of you :p, yes your always in demand cus you will always be needed by business.

be sure to work your way up to be a charted accountant, its super rock solid but possible if you do your job well, at that point youll be a professional and the pay is ludicrous but that shouldn't be your motivation -innocent

6. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

accounting

pro
    1. last dept to leave all businesses
    2. always in demand in all industries and markets
    3. good salary even for entry level
    4. acquire great personal finance skill

con
    1. BORING
    2. long hours pending on the companies and type of work you do - tax, audit, etc

More pros to cons so go for accounting .. j/k .. I think you should go for both degrees if you can do it. If you have to pick one or the others; then I suggest you sit down and weigh which is more important to you - personal interest vs big money, more job options vs unstable income, etc... Ultimately, you will have to live with that decision. Also, try doing some internships and see what you REALLY like .. sometimes ... what you think you like is not so until you actually do the work in reality.

7. munboy

munboy Member

neither. major in flower arrangements. it's never boring.

8. KilaKilaGirl

KilaKilaGirl Well-Known Member

nooo, the main question is are you a male or female?
    Female has higher percentage into accounting than male does.
    Well, we don't want to screw up your life by giving you the wrong choice. Why not do a major in accounting and minor in web design?

9. Thisdamngood

Thisdamngood Well-Known Member

Well, I am in Accounting and I think Accounting is a good field for either male or female. Although the field is predominantly female, a single male like me have more to look forward to everyday going to work.

I have been working in the accounting field for 2 years and I know that it's always good to have some I.T. background. You would be so valuable to the company if you have that skill set under your belt. Maybe with your web design degree, you can help the company by creating a more user friendly interface for different accounting applications that accountants commonly used at work. The type of applications that accountants preferred are the ones that could create real time reports. Having a background in I.T. can definitely help you climb that corporate ladder.

10. spider-man

spider-man Well-Known Member

Accounting is more about understanding concept, and Web Design is like programming. That's all I know.

11. MSIE

MSIE Member

If you are choosing Web Design. Everytime you are given a project to complete, you must think of innovative ideas to suit your customer needs.

12. transition

transition Well-Known Member

web design if thats my dilemma... personally i reckon its hard these days to step urself in the fields of accounting and there is loads of boring maths. like my friends are cadets in accounting firms and they took an awful hard time during year 12 to get into these cadetship things. web designs more challenging and i think the career paths for it is much broad. web design u can enter into fields like advertising, web development, game designs (i think >< depends), and stuff like that. whereas accounting will only be on accounting. i might be wrong since i dont have much knowledge about them.

i mean in the end its interest more than money... thats my way of seeing things. first u needa go through the 3 or so years of uni/college and then u needa get a job in that field. i always say i rather do something im more passionate in than something i dont really like.

13. transition

transition Well-Known Member

wait an easy way to solve it is to do a major in accounting minoring in web design or vice versa.

or do a double degree =P

14. StevenT888

StevenT888 Member

webdesign is really nothing much to learn about, just get some tutorials about it and you can learn it all by yourself. Accounting is better to be schooled. But webdesign is being creative, you have it or you dont ...

If i were you, id go for accounting degree and learn webdesign by free online tutorials

i have both degrees

15. lol i know this thread is as old as dinosaur fossils, but i find that most people who vote for accounting have no clue what web designing entails, so i'd like to give my two cents, to whoever is reading.

web designing is not just about creating static web sites for clients. web design can include web application development, which is a form of software programming. a lot of softwares nowadays don't require you to install into your computer, but rather all you need is a browser.

people who say that accounting has more opportunities, please get your facts straight. web application development falls under software programming, and there is an increasing need for new software developers. in fact, i wouldn't be surprised if there will be more software developers than accountants in the future.

as a web application developer, i find people who classify my career as an artsy career to have no clue what they are talking about. you are not just designing the look of the web site, you are designing the back end of the web site, the code that will allow your web site to communicate with a database. web design can include web application development, and web application development is a branch of software development.

that is all.

16. person

person Well-Known Member

Web Accounting.

17. omg that's so true... design a web accounting application!!! awesome idea person! -rockon

18. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

Double Major - Computer Science and Accounting like me. Computer Science will allow get you more choices in IT rather than just web design and if you feel like you like Accounting more, you can always move into it with your Accounting degree.

19. who likes turtles?

20. yuenfive

yuenfive Member

Accounting. It'll provide a safe and stable job. Web design may be more interesting but the job situation is unstable and depends on a lot more factors