Ways of reducing the weight of an Automilbe

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by Choy1314, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Choy1314

Choy1314 Well-Known Member

Hi guys need some petrol heads or geeks that have interest in cars.

what i'm looking for is that i need some sort of reference or book or academic information on

what ways or marital or technology to reduce a cars weight making the car lighter.

i need PDF format on books or reference or academic written report. need fast sources.

Thanks guys.

2. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

Oh god, please don't be a ricer... Asians are already heavily stereotyped, no need to reinforce that.

#2 The_Jelly, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  3. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

well if one does it right, ain't a ricer... though I agree, many fail to do it right...

4. godslayer

godslayer Well-Known Member

carbon fiber

5. Hondadc2

Hondadc2 Active Member

I would say it depends on what car? But i would do it in this order.

removing spare wheel
    rear seats,
    passenger seat
    carpet
    dash
    trimming

6. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I think what he's aiming for in 'marital or technology' (sic erat scriptum) is something more design oriented rather than operational perspective (unless he really means to just leave the wife home and thus lighten the load, LOL...) Seriously, the trend of average vehicle weight increase over the years in face of rising fuel costs, is what been driving automakers to look for ways to lighten vehicles without compromising power generation nor safety overall. However, I'm not in agreement with this approach; ie.the incorporation of extremely light weight materials (which IMHO, don't offer the same impact protection as heavier components would).

In my view, there needs to be more robust power plant design; we should be aiming for an increased mileage to fuel consumption ratio. Perhaps something like hybrids employing combinations of renewable (eg. solar) and traditional fuels needs to be explored.

7. Hondadc2

Hondadc2 Active Member

Ahh i see.. My mistake..

I agree with your statement about renewable energy.
    But it will always come down to manufacturing cost, lightweight and strong material doesn’t come cheap.

8. ralphrepo

What I find interesting about the auto industry in regard to "renewable" energy, is how the push to "cleaner" vehicles has encompassed the move to electric vehicles but these moves nonetheless does little in terms of overall impact on pollution. The impetus has been to use electric cars because they don't spew carbon ladened fumes. However, the electrical energy that they require is typically generated from other equally polluting sources, whereupon it is then centrally stored (ie the power grid) to be used to recharge your car. The only way that said electrical energy can be cleaner is if the energy is self generated without any antecedent carbon footprint. In this regard, I'm envisioning a photovoltaic skin over the entire vehicle that continuously generates and stores power into a system of batteries. Of course, hybrid designs involving fossil fuels may still remain necessary to bridge extreme power requirements (like climbing a long hill with a full load at high speed, at least until power plants become more work efficient) but overall, such vehicles would dramatically reduce both pollutants and fuel costs. Of course, once we run out of fossil fuels we can always go back to the wood burning cars of yesteryear, LOL...

#9 ralphrepo, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  9. Hondadc2

Hondadc2 Active Member

The only issue with electric cars is that you cant really drive them far before you need to charge them again. I have always said that they are only suitable for towns and small cities.

10. ralphrepo

Yes, I agree. The electrical vehicles today are really only the beginnings of what they could or should be. What I'm hoping for is more research into better or higher performance photovoltaic receptors and power storage, such that the entire skin of the vehicle provides a constant stream of energy into a high powered battery system, so that the car can recharge itself without any power connection; that is, zero fuel cost. Additionally, the wind resistance energy that a vehicle must travel through, and the turning wheels themselves, should also be harnessed and converted. True, the amounts of power will be small, but the sum aggregate matters tremendously if one is looking for renewable cost free energy.

#11 ralphrepo, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  11. Hondadc2

Hondadc2 Active Member

Lets not go off the topic here..

So we saying to make the car more lightweight we need lighter materiel such as carbon fibre or plastic reinforced fibre. (also leave the wife at home)

12. Choy1314

Choy1314 Well-Known Member

Thank you ever so much guys helpful info you guys can carry on and leave your ideas on what ways to decrease car weights many Thanks.

13. iiimj4everiii

iiimj4everiii Well-Known Member

less mcdonalds lol

14. alantamwl

alantamwl Member

As others have already said, carbon fiber and fiber glass can reduce total weight of a given vehicle, although most are custom made. Depending on the components, some may have aluminum version like exhaust system, which will save extra weight as well. Another interesting fact is replacing the steel or factory cast alloy wheels to something drastically lighter such as forged or even magnesium; it's lighter and quicker for take off. These are some of the things I suggested w/o reducing comfort/convenience factors. Good luck on your research.