Trying new thing - rock climbing

Discussion in 'Health, Beauty, and Fashion' started by negiqboyz, Mar 22, 2013.

1. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

Y'all have any tips for rock climbing. I am trying to conquer my vertigo and hopefully, shed some weight; need strengthen my upper body. Don't wanna hit the gym anymore and haven't been to one for years.

2. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

you have good arm and core strength? i dont rock climb but you definitely have to be comfortable about handling your own weight and i'm not talking about benching or isolation stuff but something like pullups would be a good test: grip upper body core and balance.

3. cailini

cailini Well-Known Member

It's good to have upper body strength, but rock climbing well is all about the foot work :)

4. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

The most critical piece involved in rock climbing is often the most overlooked; finger strength and hand dexterity determines how long one can hang on. Literally they are the point of contact, ie. the pads of several fingers, along with the muscles within them is what keeps the entire body weight glued to that rock surface. In a similar type of exercise, I remember way back when during my army days, I saw strapping muscle bound guys who had huge strong arms, repeatedly fall from the horizontal ladder as their hands could not take the weight of their bodies for sustained duration. Those guys would traverse a few rungs and then drop as they could no longer hold on.

[video=youtube;qA5Tx9nbcbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA5Tx9nbcbE[/video]

Also, here's a very inspiring story:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7371248

#4 ralphrepo, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. negiqboyz

I don't know my weaknesses until I try it. Not too scare going up, it's the coming down that bothers me since I have a fear of height. Hopefully, this will not impact too much on my playing of the piano.

It's either this or kickboxing but I f--k up my ankle the last time I did kickboxing (bone protruded right out my flesh) and was in a cast for months.

6. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

hahha rock climbing with fear of height u gonna try indoors right...i rather do calisthenics stuff.

7. negiqboyz

I am giving up on climbing. Ralph is right on .. too much on the fingers .. can't give up my music for this. Surprisingly, height wasn't an issue for me with this.

I can't do those calisthenic stuff ... no motivation.

8. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

video in my sig is motivation! lol already give up maybe just start running.

9. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Damn... I was getting chest pains just watching it, LOL...

10. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

no pain no gainz :trollface2:

11. negiqboyz

I did watch the vid and it's incredible .. so much I didn't even wanna try it cuz it's unattainable unless I make it a full time job.

I am out to have some fun to stay in shape and healthy; not down to get muscular.

12. JuuJuu

JuuJuu Member

i've tried both rock climbing and bouldering, it's so much fun! if you're scared of heights you could always start with indoor bouldering. it doesn't go as high and no need to use ropes, plus i think it'll strengthen your arms more than rock climbing :)

13. cailini

cailini Well-Known Member

If it is something that scares you, then that's even more the reason to try it!

14. burpyierz

burpyierz Well-Known Member

You guys got it wrong if you think you need to train your upper body, arms, hands and fingers lol
    rock climbing is all about body placement and especially your feet, your feet can support your body for a long time but not your fingers or hands lol
    also you use your leg and foot to push you up not your arm and arm to pull yourself up, that is wrong and in just 5min you will be tired

15. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

well if you do it u know better but from what i see you will still need a grip no doubt i mean yea push yourself up with your feet but no grip, lose balance, fall, die. if you can maintain balance at that vertical position without hands then more to yah but if it requires any form of grip to maintain balance you need some form of upper body lol. Miss that next step with your feet whats gonna keep you on there, your hands and your arms unless you talking about indoors climbing then i guess you always have that crutch.