Torrents vs Direct Download Links

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by SUSIE-DANG-1988, May 6, 2008.

?

Torrents or Direct Download Links

1. Torrents

23 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. DDL

70 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Both

60 vote(s)
    39.2%
  1. haun

haun Well-Known Member

i think only premiums are allowed to pause. i did tried to pause with megaupload, it only worked a few times.

2. sunnydaiz

sunnydaiz Well-Known Member

When you use torrents, you're broadcasting your IPs. I don't like that at all. It has to be DDL or nothing.

3. rNb99

rNb99 Well-Known Member

i prefer ddl. torrents can take forever sometimes and it's frustrating when there are no seeds and you are stuck at somewhere forever...

4. calmwater

calmwater Well-Known Member

ddl are faster than torrent, but with ddl for whole series you often has the hassle to download each episode. Therfore in torrent i like to download the bulk, the downside is that bulk are often slow and takes weeks to finish but it is comfortable to get things if you don`t want to active search content.

5. dakidyouknow

dakidyouknow New Member

I like direct download its faster then torrents

6. moosespitz

moosespitz Well-Known Member

i like both.

torrents are good for download series of dramas.
    though it can get slow when there are no seeds. D:

i like using direct downloads for smaller files like song albums.
    it's quick and easy.

7. Phantoman

Phantoman Well-Known Member

I prefer DDLs in the form of Newsgroup Binaries, but that might be a topic on its own.

The normal DDL is safer, but they can be more annoying with all the counters and download limits per IP, bytes, etc. So torrents can be more convenient sometimes and sometimes as fast as DDL if there are enough peers, but as someone already pointed out they do broadcast your IP and they automatically share stuff to others which, depending on the stuff you are sharing, is illegal in most countries.

The golden rule is to not use torrents for downloading stuff that are being monitored by "you know who" (e.g. music, movies and games), unless A) you have a filter that blocks these people or B) you have enough money to pay the fines or C) you live in some paradise where they can't touch you.

8. burpyierz

burpyierz Well-Known Member

i prefer direct download because torrent slows down my connection a lot and i'm a gamer, i play online games and even small lags is annoying
    torrent lags because you need to upload while direct download you don't need to upload anything

9. initial z

initial z New Member

i like torrents cuz when u dl a series with anything above 20 episodes, it's much more convenient than having to click the ddl link, wait the 45 or whatever second wait time for the link to appear, and then dl each episode one at a time.

10. jazman

jazman Well-Known Member

Torrents can be pretty good if there are a lot of seeds and peers and you can get reasonable DL speeds. Also you could stop the DL anytime and resume later on. Direct Download gives the fastest speed. One disadvantage is that if you get disconnected, you have to start all over again.

11. definitely ddl just because i have a bad habit of always catching torrents when they are almost dead
    but torrents will be a last resort

12. TVadi

TVadi Well-Known Member

DDL, takes me less then 10 minute to download one episode of tvb series, while torrent takes hours

13. ahjuma

ahjuma Member

I prefer DDL, torrents seem to give me a mega migraine! :p

14. j3313

j3313 Member

i am using both DDL and torrent. Both has its pros and cons ..

15. real0st

real0st Well-Known Member

Torrents are usually are faster for me than DDL. Plus in here, DDLs are in multiple parts, which is a pain to download each separately in 12 parts. Torrent: just one big file and you don't have to come back couple hours to download the net part (since some places require a wait time before downloading again)

16. amazze

amazze Active Member

ddl for small files and torrent for big files, more if they have large seeders

17. jphun

jphun Member

I like both, but I prefer direct d/l because its faster for me cause I have a fast connection. under 10 mins for a series

18. Happy1314

Happy1314 Active Member

I prefer direct download. Torrent has gave me several time virus. I have been reformat my computer several due to Torrent download.

19. luther83

luther83 Member

i like torrents more since i don't have time to keep on clicking one episode at a time to download......plus my internet line here not very good sometime it will disconnect and i will need to re-download from the beginning if using DDL............well if i go get the membership from DDL(megaupload,etc) maybe it's another story...... XD

20. kithkanan

kithkanan Member

I prefer to dl from torrent if the file is over 500MB other than that i prefer DDl