Tiger Parents in Asia (about HK)

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by MissCheekS, Oct 19, 2011.

1. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

I watched a very interesting clip on education today....

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/101east/2011/10/2011101185019403701.html

here's a short description:

Asia is renowned for producing some of the best and brightest students in the world. Such academic achievement is often underpinned by parental pressure, strict discipline and relentless hard study.

In Hong Kong, the demand for extra tuition has turned cram or tutorial school teachers into rich celebrities.

Yet some students have been driven to contemplate suicide as they try to make the grade.

2. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Even if it has english sub for some reason I can't stand the language mandarin...too much for me lol

3. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

dont know if any of u have heard of Amy Chua, a chinese mother who lives in the US n has 2 daughters. she wrote a book called "Battle Hymn Of The Tiger Mother". The book is basically about how she raised her daughters, pushing them to do perfect.... after publishing her book many (western) people criticized her way of parenting. Those who probably fail to see what a competitive world it is out there once you start working because even in western countries its not easy to get a good job, even with a master's degree!

when i was a kid myself, my parents never pushed me to go n study they always gave me a lotta space n tbh i think if they wouldve been a bit more involved i might have done better in school... not that i blame them for anything, cuz i had a pretty awesome youth :p.... esp during high school... i skipped school quite often n never really cared about school.... was like, when i grow up im just gonna get a 9-5, get paid minimum wage n live happily ever after... didnt really care about school it was only when i got older i realized the importance of being educated and having those papers...

i wouldnt (n couldnt) go as far as being a tigermother for my own kids because i dont think id want to pressure THAT much, going as far as getting my kids depressed n only wanting them to do schoolwork with no free time for themselves.... but i definitely wouldn't be like "awww, ur having sucha hard time at school, go out n have fun insteada studying. u dont have to do ur homework" etc. I'd just be very involved, guiding them n make them see the importance of education n be strict when needed.

btw, that girl, stephanie's english is pretty good... sucha huge difference cuz she is going to an international school....

@kevin, thats just the first few mins, their cantonese girls from hk -_-'.... there are english, canto n mandarin speakers

4. kevin

kevin RAWR!

unfortunately I gave up for the first few minutes. I did however read the article.

5. I can't really say much from the side of being a parent as I have not raised any kids as of yet.... but from being under the whip of a strict mother I can some what relate....

I just rebelled against my mother... didn't really put my best foot forward in school but I picked it up in College where it actually mattered most... to each their own..