Thoughts on series

Discussion in 'Wax and Wane - 團圓' started by kevin, Jun 13, 2011.

1. tjsye2

tjsye2 Well-Known Member

I agree and basically stop watching it already.

2. sunnys so damn dramatic all the time :facepalm:

3. kevin

kevin RAWR!

tell me about it, glad they made a complaint on him.

4. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

^lol, did they really?

5. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

i actually like it.

6. zack55555

zack55555 Well-Known Member

i'm at episode 7 now.. really awful...

7. onni

onni Well-Known Member

i don't really like the first few episode of this series though, too much of arguing and fighting between the two families.

8. zeewee

zeewee Well-Known Member

I'm caught up with the series now and I must say...I'm actually entertained and excited for the next episode! As for me, I don't really mind TVB reusing the same base plot over because there is always something different to take away from each drama.

What I like so far:
    - The transformation of Roger, from being boring and stern to becoming happier and more relaxed
    - Sunny. I don't care what anyone says, I like this guy and his acting! When he's being silly in the drama, I can't help but laugh. When it is called for, he is loud and very impulsive, but that's just how he is written. I remember some character called him "the loud guy" in an episode. I feel really bad about the complaints against him.
    - Toby. Her acting (voice+body language) has barely shown any improvements, but I like her underdog character and story line.
    - I definitely enjoy the elder veterans of the series: Mannor (Mrs. Yung), Lau Siu-Ming (Mr. Yung), and Chow Chung.
    - Becky Lee, the girl who plays Zita. I've only seen her in some episodes of "Be Home For Dinner" and I wasn't too impressed nor interested, but wow... She formulated a new style to fulfill this role in her tone of voice and the way she blinks and smiles. This is what I call acting! Which brings me to....

What I don't like:
    - Kate Tsui. I liked her for a while. She gets some really strong roles and I especially enjoyed her in "When Lanes Merge" and "A Great Way to Care" (even though those were essentially the same character). And the truth is...she really has some potential. But over and over...all I see is Kate Tsui, Kate Tsui, Kate Tsui in every role. She never makes me believe that she is some other character. The way she talks is always the same and there is never anything new from her. It shows in her little "huh's" at the end of a sentence, the way she goes "Mm," and this other thing that I can't even explain in writing. It's obvious that she doesn't spend any time developing her characters.
    - So...by default, I am bored to tears by Ron and Kate (it's not like Ron is bringing anything different to the table either).

9. Ileenka

Ileenka Member

I'm only up until the 2nd episode but I'm not sure if I would continue watching beyond episode 5, but for now it seems I might. I've had many apprehensions about watching this because there are quite a few cast members I don't like, but in the end I watch it out of boredom.

It's funny to see Sunny in such a loud and boisterous role. I can't recall many movies in which he takes up roles like these, so I really enjoy his acting and yelling. It's the personality of the character he was portraying - so I don't see what's wrong with that. He's a lovely actor and I feel it's a shame for people to criticize him so unfairly.

Roger is likewise a great actor, but I can't help but feel a bit bored. The crux of the problem is the dead typical villains that TVB script writers come up with all the time. They are always made from the same mound and mould. Roger had done roles like these before. My perspective may change though, I would need to see how his character progresses in upcoming episodes.

:) I agree with the poster above me on the bit about Kate.

I'm not impressed with Ron, either. =_= Besides, I always feel they have horrible chemistry whenever they're paired up on the set and it could be a pain watching them trying to act as lovers.

10. kmleong

kmleong Member

Funny That A Person Can Condemn A series After Watching 1 or 2 Episodes Don't WATCH!! Good Riddance

I Find it getting exciting now and about warmness in a family
    Hope it won't let me down by having a Bad Ending

11. worgorgec

worgorgec Well-Known Member

Zzzzzzz, to be honest this show puts me to sleep so I stopped watching after the 2nd episode

12. str4wberri3s

str4wberri3s Member

too much incest.. . . soooo much.

13. envizion

envizion Member

wish there is more going on with zita+eugene relationship. too bad the producers rather keep it in the family

14. i watched like 10 eps over the weekend.. it gets ok when claire and derek gets in the picture.

15. pOtentiaLeaver

pOtentiaLeaver Well-Known Member

man there are so many stubborn people in this drama it drives me crazy just watching it -_-

everyones so dumb except for roger -.-

fuck man i cant stand those stupid cunts thinking what they see is everything

/rage

16. maggie_i

maggie_i New Member

I don't like the fights in the series

17. SHeEpiE

SHeEpiE New Member

Don't like it either, and the cousins relationship are strange too ~_~

18. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k Well-Known Member

i agree with this thought....

but i think it comes in episode 28

19. nn4

nn4 New Member

Not bad at all~

I actually quite enjoyed this series! I don't know why people critique it so harshly!

I liked the character changes a lot. I really enjoyed watching Roger Kwok's character go through this 360 degree change. And it was realistic as well.

Yeah, the family relationships were a mess but I appreciate the writer's efforts in trying to make it less incestuous by making Ron Ng and Kate Tsui's characters second cousins instead of direct cousins like Moonlight Resonance...

Overall, this is one of the better dramas of 2011 that TVB had produced. It's honestly not that bad. Once you get up to around when Toby becomes the face/advertiser of Man Cheong Shing, it gets very interesting.