The TVPad Knowledge Center

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by Phantoman, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Phantoman

Phantoman Well-Known Member

I'm too lazy to go double-check my adapter, but I'm pretty sure it came with European plugs as depicted in the following picture since I do not recall using any adapters:

http://www.adaptelec.com/images/plugs_outlets/australia-socketfit.jpg

As you can see, the US plugs are a bit different compared to the Australian/Chinese one. So what the hell do they call a unified power plug ???

Also it still leaves the issue about the scratches (physical damage for something new). They should at least replace the unit in that case.

EDIT: Or Viper133 is just a con-artist ... j/k :)

2. CrazyMoFo

CrazyMoFo Well-Known Member

I'm sure they are willing to replace it, but is it worth sending international mail since it will be at the buyer's expense. My TVpad sits inside my entertainment center and you wouldn't even be able to see the unit, so if it was me, I would complain and try to get a partial refund instead of getting a replacement unit and have to pay for the return shipping. But that's just me.

As for the adapter, I still don't think TVpad ship with European plugs. But I could be wrong.

3. Phantoman

Well it's up to Viper113 what he wants to do, we have given him all the options I think.

I'll check my adapter tomorrow.

4. viper133

viper133 Member

Ok, I received the adapter from amazon via UPS's one day shipping
    Total for tvpad is now 199+8=207 (brought it from
    too)

I installed all the apps and everything is working fine, much better than setting up a laptop which disconnects ever so often and my parents can control it without me.

All in all I noticed three problems, first the device did not auto detect a composite video signal. (had to connect it to hdtv then change to composite manually) Secondly, the hdd storage movie and music app did not respond until a reboot. And lastly, the Tvpad gets very warm after an hour, even my hp touchpad doesn't get that hot after 8 hours.

Since we will now be using Netflix, Tvpad, etc. My only concern is that my ISP have a 150 gb monthly cap, maybe i have to upgrade to get unlimited data.

5. JoeyFan3000

JoeyFan3000 Active Member

Yesterday I received my Tvpad. It works great :).

The adapter is an EURO plug in

6. uniqlo

uniqlo Active Member

Mine is an Euro Plug too. (I'm ordering it from Sweden though)

what i got in the box are: AC Adapter (Euro plug), AV Cable, HDMI Cable, TF Card, Remote Control, and the TVpad, user guide and a few coupons.

7. Phantoman

So no need for me to check anymore. Only Viper133 can tell us where he ordered this from. For all we know he ordered it from one of the scam sites :)

8. JoeyFan3000

Do someone know? If I order 2 Tvpad on the website now. They will send 2 tvpad in 1 package or 2 tvpad in 2 package? the reason is the tax hehe

9. viper133

viper133 Member

Just to follow up, i brought the tvpad from the main official site and it was shipped by Hua Yang international from shenzhen. anyways, i received the Aus to north american adapter yesterday and tested the tvpad thoroughly, other than the scratches and wrong power cord, i enjoyed the system as i didnt have to setup the laptop for my parents anymore and the direct links were long gone (i woke up today with the tvpad turned on by my parents)

Good thing the tvpad was sent to the correct country despite the Aus Powercord problem.

problems i got was upon start up, it wont detect your composite cable unless i plug it into a hdtv and change it manually, secondly, the system gets warm to the touch after an hour of use (my hp touchpad is on 8 hours and is not even that warm.

btw, i wrote a similar message to this yesterday but it says it will be reviewed by a mod. but its been too long, so i wrote another short and concise follow up.

10. Phantoman

I just think they should have taken responsibility for their mistake then, unless it's standard for everyone to get an Australian power plug in the US.

Mine is warm to the touch as well, but a healthy warm, so not really hot that you could fry an egg on it. I only used the hdmi output, so I cannot comment on the composite output.

Your previous message ? Never seen it. Maybe you already have enemies on this forum :)

11. viper133

viper133 Member

Yes, i agree as well. I was so hyped to get the Tvpad on the 19th (missed the delivery on the 16th). When I opened the box, I was pissed that i couldnt set it up that same day so i had to order the aus to na adapter from amazon via one day shipping. Price for the whole system plus accessories equals 199+8=207 and maybe i have to upgrade the internet to get unlimited cap and a new hdtv exclusively for the tvpad as well.

#71 viper133, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  12. uniqlo

uniqlo Active Member

i'm not sure if it's the same, for my case, i got a call 4-6 hrs after my purchase, confirming my address, delivery terms, AND ALSO, whether I'll be using HDMI or composite output. the CS guy said, the company will help me setup the output, and test the device before shipping.

13. viper133

viper133 Member

Yes i also got a call but it was 5 mins after purchase, and this lady was speaking so fast that it seemed like she was rapping. I might have missed something about the hdmi output, but even my Seagate freeagent theater+ auto detects the video format.

Btw, when i came back from work, my parents were still watching the TVPad, the device was the same temperature and had not overheated.

Now, I got a question on the movie valley channel, is there a way to categorize the tv series by year, actors or is it only by its rating?

14. jason13863

jason13863 Active Member

Hey guys!
    I just ordered a TVPad and I can't wait to join this exciting PAD community. I just have few questions about this awesome device and maybe existing users might be able to answer my questions.

1. I live in Australia and most of our internet plans are not unlimited. I only have 100Gb internet usage a month, so do you guys think this is enough for TVPad?

2. Will I need to buy a separate wifi receiver for the TVPad or does the TVPad have a built-in wifi receiver?

15. Phantoman

Since no one replied to you I'll make an educated guess. I believe they can put 2 TVPad boxes into one DHL bag, so it will probably come as 1 package. I wonder what they will put on the invoice though, still $25 or $50 ?

Looks like you got the same lady that called me and left a voice mail. She was not taking her time to breath at all while talking :) It was just one go from the start till the end.

And yeah, I had the same question as you about the Movie Valley. I find a bit difficult to find stuff on there and part of it is the lack of useful sorting.

If I take for example 450Kbps for a stream, then in a month time you would need about 50GB (download only) if you plan to watch it 8 hours a day. Some of the apps use the P2P method, so there might be a bit of upload as well. You can do the math here: http://web.forret.com/tools/filesize.asp

The TVPad does not have a built-in Wifi card. See http://tvpadfans.com/thread-659-1-1.html for recommended Wifi adapters. Apparently DLink DWA-125 and Netcore NW360 are the recommended ones. I know that some people on this forum use TVPad with Wifi, so maybe they can provide you with more info on that.

16. char

char Member

Thanks for clearing that up :)

17. JoeyFan3000

I don't know, but I ordered three different orders. I don't want to take any risk of Tax :D. However, I only received one email of shipped :s

18. phucker

phucker Active Member

is it just me or does some tvb channel from the lily app(purple one) not working??

19. superhan

superhan Well-Known Member

yepe same for i hope it get fixed soon :(
    with this stability i can not recommend this to mine families

20. jason13863

jason13863 Active Member

WHAT?!!! so it's down before i even receive my tvpad? the only reason i am buying this is for this channel. :(