The PC Builders Thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by kontradictions, Aug 11, 2009.

1. The regular mATX board takes a 20+4 pin connector, the same size as a regular ATX 24 pin connector. The fuckers at hp use a smaller sized pin connector that just wont fit with standard size...

2. intraland

intraland Well-Known Member

Must be a pain in the butt. That PSU looks ultra retarded too, most likely can't output much power either. It's annoying when proprietary components mess up, because then your whole unit is down.

I wish you the best of luck. If worst comes to worst, why not just outright buy/build a new computer? Or is it a files on a drive problem?

3. hey guys.. quick question before I install the h50..

go with the the preapplied paste or wipe it off and use some arctic silver instead?

4. wipe it off... there is too much on there... apply a pea size drop to the center of the cpu and when you twist on the h50 into it's holder it should spread it out

you have the Artic silver 5?

5. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

The pre-applied stuff is fine, but if you already bought Arctic Silver, why not use it?

6. Yep like everyone else said, it's always best to reapply the thermal compound. A tip: grab a swab or q-tip, dip it in some alcohol, and carefully clean the entire upper part of the cpu.

Good luck

7. that was a bitch to install.. :facepalm:

not cause of the h50.. but the damn stock fan..

the stupid plastic pins were just stuck on the mb. I managed to pull it 3 after like numerous tries.. and I was ripping that it crazy amount of force. Ended up breaking part of the plastic cause I was using pliers.. and the last pin just completely broke off cause it was too stuck on the mb.

the dust filters were all bad.. had to blast it with some water... stupid duster can didn't work that good.. don't think I got enough of the dust out but uff it.

everything running fine now.. I hope.. should I run some kind of test to test the temps?

8. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

Yeah, do a run Prime95 for about 5 minutes to see the difference in idle vs full load and keep a look out on how quickly the temperatures rise during the tests and how quickly it cools off after.

Ideally, you want it to gradually heat up and if the cool down is fast, that's a good sign.

You also want to give the Arctic Silver a few weeks to cure. If your temps aren't stellar at the moment, give it some time to fully cure then do a load test again.

Another thing I didn't get to mention in time was that Arctic Silver is very particular on how they want you to apply the thermal paste. They want you to draw a line across the cores. They have a guide on their website where they give detailed instructions on what pattern you should use for each type of processor.

9. ^ i heard of this but in the end really..... it just turns out pretty much the same once you push down and twist the head of the h50

10. lol anyways.. give me some numbers..

11. what numbers are you looking for? you should be posting your idle temps and when under load

12. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

them damn summa deals

13. intraland

damn good pricing. Though NCIX in Canada has h50 for 49.99 from time to time. I think this week they have h60 for 49.99 too. Or maybe it was last week...

14. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

The h50 is 69.99 whereas the h60 is 49.99. Atm anyways.

15. intraland

16. ocz are fine.... and what the hell you need 1000w for?

17. intraland

for future upgrade. my current is OCZ's 600w modularxstream. I hate how the sata cables are so short, can't connect 2 hdd and disc drive at once (1 cable has 3 sata powers, but its too short to connect all 3 at once, and i don't want to connect both sata power cables). Since its a problem I usually just keep the main hdd plugged. Its a pain in the ass to do backup or burning discs, because I end up opening the case and plugging things before doing either (2nd hdd is for backup only, most of the time its unpowered = not spinning).

Also, the limited 6/8-pins limit me to 2 mid-ranged graphic cards (6-pin powered graphic cards), or 1 high end that uses 6pin+8pin.

18. i don't seem to have a problem with sata cables being too short... not sure where you be mounting your hdd.... -mellow

speaking of hdd i need to get another one..... almost filling my data drive....

19. intraland

The problem is with the short cable length between sata powers due to OCZ's design. OCZ's known to have short cables, so its a given right there. The cable allows me to plug in 2 things at once, but not all 3, so its why the psu is pissing me off.

[​IMG]

At the time the power was connected to bottom hdd and disc drive. As you can see there isn't enough space to connect to the top hdd. It's the same no matter which slot I put it in.

Though even if I were to use one of those hdd cages that faces the rear of the case, it would still be the same problem. My old case was one of those, and I still couldn't manage to plug all 3 in at once, even if it was placed like one on top of another (due to the external 3.5" bay being in the way in the middle).

edit: but yea OCZ's 1000w psu is overkill lol. I didn't realise but there was another 3 sata hardwired onto the PSU itself. Least in the video it seems cables were longer.

#560 intraland, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011