THE HOST: Korean Film

Discussion in 'Korean Chat' started by dsoulreaver, Dec 9, 2006.

1. dsoulreaver

dsoulreaver Member

Hey, does anyone know what happened and what the ending means in the movie "The Host"?

I don't quite understand, did the uncle or aunt live? what happened to the guy's daughter? why is he living with that boy in the middle of no where?

I really appreciate if someone can give me a perspective or answer on this!!! >.<

2. babyhead

babyhead Member

the daughter died.. and the dad is living with the little kid, which i am guessing that he adopted in replacement of his lost daughter. aunt and uncle is definately alive they just dont show the rest of the family in an ending. that "middle of no where" that ur talking about is where theyre shop used to be at. and he is still continuing with his dead father's shop, near the han river if i am not mistaking.
    hope that answer the question, if u wanna just watch again most movies tend to get easier to understand the second time u watch lol

3. sakky101

sakky101 Well-Known Member

I just watch this yesterday and though the ending was a bit ironic and also sad. Ironic in the sense, his daughter had stayed alive so long when he was capture but when he actually found her, she had just died >.< ... it was sad to me because the girl died in the end and also the little kid brother. Before I watch the film I thought the film would be well cheesy but I was suprised its not all that bad, think be one of those well known cult movies -cool

4. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

The ending is far eastern in culture, nothing is more important when you are eating! (The TV broadcasting the news is switched off when the people are eating.) It is also a message to the people that the news that you see is not necessarily the truth. The HOST has also a double meaning or implied meaning. The host is the mutated animal, and the host is also the Koreans (as hosts to Americans)! See the film again and you know what I mean!

5. sakky101

sakky101 Well-Known Member

You totally lost me on that part, that so deep >.<

6. arnelulira

arnelulira Member

i need to watch it again

7. Ghiengame

Ghiengame New Member

I watched the movie and didn't really understand the whole thing.
    I will watch it again, any suggestion for the details I should look for in the movie ??

8. megacode

megacode Member

the uncle and aunt do live but the grandfather dies. its kind of an odd movie . well the little girl dies but gains a son. i think thats what i got from it.

9. dukkdeh

dukkdeh New Member

The movie was pretty good and i hear that the director will be coming to ny near union square i think at nyu not sure, to show a few of his movies including the host.

10. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

I thought that the film carried two messages : a political message and the message of how a family respond in the face of calamity. The HOST or monster is contrasted and played out by that reptilian monster and also by the other "monster" (=USA). In this regard you have to judge for yourself the consequence of "The HOST" countries like Vietnam, Taiwan, Afgahnistan, Philipines, Japan hosting American troops on their soil. If you go the http://www.hostmovie.com/ and if you are quick you will catch the words "Agent Yellow" before the flash video takes over. This is one the hidden political message of : Vietnam was a HOST to the American assistance and what they brought with them was a whole host of things and Agent Orange. The Agent Orange is creating the monsters out there today. See for yourself in http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/227467.stm and http://www.ngocentre.org.vn/Default.asp?page=agent_orange. After you have done the research about Agent Orange and you will instantly see a parody in the movie "The Host". The political message is further developed into the fact that when you invited a foreign power as a guest and you are the host then you have to tolerate the excesses of the greater power. This is amplified in the film by showing news clips of self imposed censorship : meaning instead of a local Korean telling the Koreans what is happening (the truth) the news is spelt out by Amercians speaking in English and then translated onto the screen. Namely, the message is : the global news around the world is what the Amercian version. Of course the twist in the film is the ending .. which is when the actors just switch off the news on the TV (=waste of time) and then carry on eating their dinner! The ending I thought was great as an anti-climax, a complete contrast to the rest of the film. A lot of people think that the ending is rather weak and poor. Actually I feel that it shows great realism and a true representation of what real people do after a calamity. (= There is no much one can do about the great powers: monsters of whatever the form, at the end of the day, you just have to live with it and get on with your ordinary live ... hence the eating right at the end. What is more ordinary than eating which is a great tradition of oriental cultures..... how many time that you have walked into a room full of Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans eating away and even though that they know of you .... the typical response is 90% of them take a took at you and then very soon put their heads down and continue with their chopstick actions without saying anything like a greeting to you! The message is the rice bowl is more important than anything else ( a very Eastern conclusion to the behaviour of most)!

11. dragopyre

dragopyre Well-Known Member

its gotten very popular. I think its showing in US soon.

12. tdmt

tdmt Well-Known Member

thanks for the explanation, even thought i wasn't the one raised the question. i watched the movie in sub so didn't really understand it

13. jnetcube5

jnetcube5 Well-Known Member

just wondering is the movie any good? i haven't watched it yet but i heard its supposed to be the number one movie in Korea.