The Fearless Car Thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by fearless_fx, Mar 24, 2007.

?

2007 Honda Civic Si or Used Infinite G35?

1. Honda Civic Si

82 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. Infinite G35

147 vote(s)
    64.2%
  1. gordonng85

gordonng85 Well-Known Member

hypebrid, you only get it because:

-your parents will do mainly city driving
    -Hollywood superstar projecting an emo-ecofriendly image.
    -haven't test driven anything else.

The Fit is cheap to buy, to maintain, to fill up. It's surprisingly safe, good looking. Think of it this way. A Fit with the Sport trim, automatic, with remote starter, AFTER the different taxes, delivery charges is 25,545$ to finance. ( Yea I actually built it...)

The Prius on the other hand, it's 32,773$ to finance. And that's the BASE model, which to my surprise, is quite well equipped, but also totally useless. Standard features include digital clock. Please... lol

Back to my point, it's 7228$ difference. Take note.

Fit: 7.1/5.5 L/100km city/highway
    Prius: 3.7/4.0 L/100km city/highway

That's driven when the battery is full charged, never pass 1500rpm, respect all speed limits, no AC/heating, windows closed, etc.

Let's put the Prius in advantage here. 75% city, 25% highway.

Fit: 6.7L/100km for our purpose
    Prius: 3.8L/100km for our purpose

Let's say it's 1.00$/L

6.7-3.8=2.9$ of savings per 100km.

So, apparently, after 2492km, the Prius is cheaper to own. Looks like I've proven myself wrong.

Thing is, I've never heard anyone get close to20% of the advertised figure. I've seen one hypermiler who got the same consumption as Toyota but he had to close all windows, no AC, no heating, tire pressure to the point to explode, and never passed 1500rpm. That's insanity... And I have not taken into account the maintenance cost yet.

I'd suggest the Jetta wagon TDi. In the C4C program in the US, this car was sold out around the US within 48 hrs. Gets good mileage, looks great, spacious. With the diesel engine, you don't have to worry about the super complicated hybrid system. 4 banger turbo diesel. There are VW guys who goes to the track with 300k+ miles diesels. Set all prejudice aside, VW has greatly improved from the 90's torch on wheels or Christmas tree dashboard failures.

I guess the Prius is interesting....

2. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

i dunno how you're doing your math man

Toyota prius

3.8 L/100 km City

$1.00 / L

lets say 10,000 KM a year.

10,000 km * 3.8 L/100KM = 380L of gas per year. or $380 dollars per year to fill up. (something seems wrong with this, but iunno, im pretty tired)

By the same math, a Fit would cost about 700 dollars per year to fill up.

To make up for the variance in cost, it would take like 8 years of driving.. or like 80,000 KM to do so... not 2500ish.

3. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

i should mention that the Prius has an 8 year warranty on hybrid components, so its a fairly safe buy.

4. gordonng85

i should stop posting altogether.
    :facepalm:

5. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

I actually worked out the fuel for my lexus as well.

I probably average around 12 L/100 km in city... im pretty lead footed.

for 120,000 KM i will have spent around $18200 in fuel... which is insane when you think about it.

The same figures for the prius.... 120,000 KM will only have cost $4560 in fuel.

Over the long term, fuel savings are massive.

6. gordonng85

But will you actually get the advertised mileage on the Prius? I doubt it.

7. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

Bottom line:

Oil and fuel costs will be subject to market variables. The same w/ estimated driving. Your going to have to just budget 'cash' and liquidity for any vehicle you purchase !! If you cannot, then you should get use to taking the bus or finding an alternative method.

The prius' warranty and initial cost given the circumstances will be more costly than a regular gasoline engine vehicle !!

Gordon knows his stuff, and it's entirely true that any advertised and marketed rating is nothing but a farfetched lie.

I always see Fearless in those ironic situation. I've been telling him about just ponying up for a new vehicle and he made all nonsense justifcation on not to. Now that they must, they instantly see a 20-30k range.

God!!

The Honda Fit is probably your best choice along w/ the Corolla. Given the circumstances, you should do what makes sense. Buying a hybrid is not going to make sense in your situation.

Your saving you a few $K which will be necessary.

8. casshern

casshern Well-Known Member

So should I get the Maserati Birdcage 75?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or the 2009 Maserati GranTurismo S?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JK.

9. gordonng85

I redid the math and indeed I failed hard.
    note to self: never do non-school related math after 1am.

I also want to point out one thing:

The EPA test cycle that Toyota uses to brag about their 3.8L/100km
    [​IMG]

* Duration: 765 seconds
    * Total distance: 10.26 miles (16.45 km)
    * Average Speed: 48.3 mi/h (77.7 km/h)

as opposed to the European Driving Cycle:
    [​IMG]

It's much more comprehensive and you can see the aggressive acceleration, pickup from 30 to 60 mph. Multiples stop and go. I'd like to see the results of a 1.8L 105hp engine do 3.8L/100km. Many eco-hippie-terrorists will tell you they do get 3.8L/100km. Those are the ones on the left lane doing 70km/h thinking they're on a one man crusade against pollution. They will also trail brake to maximize the charging time of the battery. From a stop back to traffic speed, they will never accelerate more then 1500rpm. Plus, I'm still trying to figure out how they manage to squeeze 105hp out of 1800cc, Honda did that with a SOHC 1500cc non-VTEC in 1995 and had a decent 5-6L/100km, 14 years ago.

I understand that 5k is money. But that's all based on one number: 3.8 . Remember, we're in Canada, when you cold start at -30C, the hybrid system won't warm the engine up and in all chemical reactions, low temp = slow reaction = not as effective.

I'm biased since day 1 toward hybrids. But it is justified.

On the other hand, ask your parents about the new Golf 5 door TDi. It's not the VW of the 80's and 90's. It's basically a entry level Audi A3.

29k with the multimedia package and the DSG gearbox, not the automatic slushbox on the Fit, and the Prius. Drive like an Audi, consumes 4.7/6.7 L/100km( DOT of Canada estimates so it's usually BS, say it's 6L/100km) It may seem like double the consumption of the Prius, but wait, the piece de resistance:

236 lbs - ft @ 1,750-2,500 rpm

that's monstrous, even your IS250 doesn't have that much torque at 2000rpm.

Maintenance? Diesel engines in truck does to 1,000,000km before a major maintenance. Turbocharger failure? It's probably a low pressure turbine so it will last you a lifetime. It's not the oil- cooled ceramic turbos from the early 90's.

Bottom line:
    the final one lol:

it is really your parents' decision. If it was me, I would ( and actually in the process of) seriously considering diesels. The Golf TDi is perfect for your needs:
    - loads of power at reasonable engine speed ( lol@Prius, 105hp@ 5000rpm)
    - build quality
    - diesel engine itself does not have an alternator, cold start at -50C for as long as the fuel doesn't freeze.
    - did I mention Asian in a European car = cool? and the Golf looks so much better then the Prius.

not sorry for long read.

10. gordonng85

BOOM!!

[​IMG]

11. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

Get the 5 door Golf TDI in Black! :D

12. gordonng85

^^
    I was actually to see how long it would take before kontra goes all VeeDub powa mode.

note:
    last pics says no airbags, no ABS, I die like a man!

13. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

Haha it's a nice car but I'm obsessed with it. From the cars listed, I think the Golf is the best choice.

Personally, the GTI would be the last VW I would own for awhile. -what?

14. jjson

jjson Member

551k km... wow talk about reliability

15. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

lol that Vdub looks amazing... give it a Matt black paint job with some red accents and gold rims and you've got a beast for sure. Some serious potential right there.

16. gordonng85

so did your parents lol in front of your face when you said VW diesel?
    My dad did when I mentioned 335d. He loled until I showed him the amount of torque it made at idle.

17. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the new 2010 Lexus IS C is hot!

18. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

while i was parking my altima back home, i heard "Hey, ur in America. Do urself a favor and drive an american car" -- an ignorant owner of a ford focus

This is one of the reason y i hate american cars.

19. lol don't hate american cars just because its home country's citizens are dumbfucks

20. gordonng85

Back from the dead:

one for fearless:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]