The Chinese Written Language

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by ralphrepo, Jul 8, 2009.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

When I saw this, I was aghast. Never one that liked the simplified text to begin with, now this outright elimination of nearly two fifths of the Chinese language in determining what one can name his child, has me boiling:

In a rush? For a quick synopsis, just read the red highlighted lines.

Dumbing down our thousands of years of written heritage is simply not a solution. With the advances in computer software, it should be a breeze to get computer systems to recognize those obscure pictographs. A proper name is probably the most important thing to any living breathing Chinese; its what defines our ethnic character. Now they want to take that away because their software can't handle it? What a load of horse manure. :heherm:

2. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

basicly... BRING BACK THE TRADITIONAL CHINESE
    also simplified looks very tacky, doesn't look as elegant as tradition..
    mainland China is very lazy i have just realised to not write out the traditional way >.<
    also i never knew the Gov. can force people to change their names :S

3. crazy_man206

crazy_man206 Well-Known Member

agreed,

although simplified was created to improve the literacy rate (and was very successful), the way to solve this is to improve the computers, not numb the language.

this part of the article is just retarded though..

"By some estimates, 100 surnames cover 85 percent of China’s citizens. Laobaixing, or “old hundred names,” is a colloquial term for the masses. By contrast, 70,000 surnames cover 90 percent of Americans."

obviously America has more surnames. they are a melting pot for immigrants from all over.

4. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

LOL, right, and I bet at least a hundred of them are also Chinese... -woot2

Seriously, the need for simplified text today probably isn't as much a pressing educational issue that it was back in the 1950's. They should just go back to the original. However, that won't be easy either, as all computers and systems now used the bastardized version.

#4 ralphrepo, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  5. loc234

loc234 Member

Agreed, traditional chinese characters should be the characters used, not simplified. Simplified characters lack the strokes and often the meaning of a word can get lost if it is taken out of context.

6. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

The reason why America has many names than in China is due to the fact that China had an established writing system too early and had a convergence system based on ideograms. It was impossible in ancient times to have 50,000 names as the typesetter (bearing in mind China invented paper and printing) would have had to carry 100,000 blocks of characters. The latin language was a phonetic system and had a very elementary alphabet set(s). One reason for the explosion of variation of names is the confusion of pronunciation and difference alphabet system. Take the name Alexander and look at the myriads of spelling of this same name from Russia to Ireland and to Egypt. Another is that western names came from the jobs that they did, the place where they were born, the colours of things, the sounds the nature....Of all the phonetic writing systems the best in the world is the Korean, the poorest is English. In English there are just 5 vowels (a,e,i,o,u) but the phonetic sounds differ hugely depending on the word. A simplification of a writing system assist much faster learning since a restricted set means one can get up to speed to 80% proficiency at a shorter time compared with that of an expanded vocabulary set. However the loss is the richness of expression and cultural value.
    Now back to the subject of why the restriction, I guess the reason in limiting it to 32,252 of the roughly 55,000 is that of ease of mass processing of emails, OCR, telephone calls processing for national security and control...let me give you an example, when you do programming for a piece of OCR software, it is incredibly hard to do OCR for hand written chinese character as you have to take into account of size, ink colour , paper colour, hand style, fast scribble.... and so on. Increasing the rare words will add to the combinatorial errors in information processing. Moreover as telesales, online services with remote helpdesk it will be difficult for a caller (with thick regional accent) to tell his/her name to someone else on the telephone. additionally the chinese writing input systems on small devices will be difficult to display rows of different possible words on a small smartphone, all with similar pinyin or brush strokes.