The Asian Movie Review and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies Discussion' started by BabyRain, Sep 20, 2007.

1. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

So people; we have a link on the Movie Review and Discussion Thread in the Non-Asian Entertainment section, this is for the Asian films.

Post your reviews here -^_^
    Rating 1= lowest; 5 = highest.
    Please do NOT post any spoilers.

I will start first.

My ratings:

1 = A disaster
    2 = Mediocre, can be missed
    3 = Above average, worth a watch
    4 = Great; awesome; impressive
    5 = Flawless

Gong Tau
    3/5

I thought this was a decent HK horror flick directed by Herman Yau. So far, I have watched 2 of his movies; pretty impressive.

This is a black magic voodoo film starring Mark Cheng and Maggie Siu. Cliche storyline; the husband had a fling with a woman in (gasp!) Malaysia... blablabla, and his wife suffers as a result. Love the sick joke played near the end.. but the ending was kinda lame & simple. I guess the scriptwriter ran out of ideas.

Protege
    2/5

Don't shoot me, but this movie failed to impress me... A druglord played by Andy Lau; an undercover cop played by Daniel Wu... eyecandy here... but other than that; I didn't think this movie was impressive (According to me... )

Whispers and Moans
    2.5/5

Another Herman Yau movie.
    Hmm, an interesting take on the sex workers; impressive well-played gay scenes between Patrick Tang and Don Li. Although this movie is rated as Category III, there is really not any scene flashing a breast, so don't go in expecting that... A watchable drama, but it could have done better.

Golden Chicken 1 & 2
    3.5/5

Reviewing W and M reminds me of Sandra Ng's Golden Chicken and Golden Chicken 2. Both films boast an array of famous actors as cameos, Andy Lau, Leon Lai, Felix Wong, Anthony Wong... A gripping performance by the cast, especially Sandra Ng playing her character as an 'aging' prostitute making a living.

2. i loved both golden chicken movies :D the first one was well done.

3. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

My Take on Protege and Whispers and Moans:

Protege:

Well I actually enjoyed this film but mainly because of Zhang Jing Chu, she didn't really have too much dialog in this film but her expressions and emotions definitely tells a very tragic story. If you see how drugs affected her you will probably think twice about doing drugs. Also Louis Koo was pretty good in this movie too playing a very drugged up looking husband of the girl and also adding some comedic dark humor type moments for me in the film. Andy Lau was okay in this movie, he wasn't too good but he does his job as a kind of possessed individual because he gets serious at the business but he would sacrifice for his family. Daniel Wu was always just average in HK movies for me though because of his kind of impaired cantonese accent and all but once again he kind of does his job here as the undercover cop character, typical HK good guy. Overall i like this film

I give it a 3.8/5

Whispers and Moan

Wow this movie was probably just rated on it's subject matter cause quite frankly i don't think there are any scenes depicting nudity or explicit sexual content. Well this movie sets a comedic/laid back tone to prostitution i think, i thought it was actually praising prostitution at first because there weren't as much scenes showing the corruption at first. But one character i really hated would be the girls that follow the prostitutes telling them to fight for their rights or something? wtf And also yea Don Li did a pretty good job at depicting his transvestite character as for most of his scenes i had to look away. Mandy Chiang was hot in the movie lol, but she doesn't do a very good job at acting emotional scenes, i wasn't convinced. But the girl that play her sister shows most of the corruption side of prostitution in this movie and she was ok. Athena Chu was just funny as hell though, I saw her in the Duke of Mount Deer series as the treasured Ah Or, and now this was a complete change of character from that movie. Overall, given the theme of the movie, the tone was quite unique. But i expected more graphic scenes of corruption mainly from drugs and sex from a CAT III movie and also the tone didn't really cut it for the subject matter here.

I give it a 2/5

4. BabyRain

LOL, I thought on the contrary. Louis Koo does NOT look like a drug addict to me. Anyone noticed his muscles? He just looks too fit to be a drug addict IMO :p They need to find someone skinnier... Perhaps Ronald Cheng haha.

And I seriously have difficulty deciphering Zhang Jing Chu's accent. I would haf preferred if she spoke Mandarin!

5. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

^ He looked funny, add to the humor, but yeah not your typical drug addict, probably not ronald cheng though cause he's too comedic too and also too old looking for the girl, i think they should try to find a "serious" actor that is not really a comedic actor but could also do things that make me laugh...if you don't know what i mean that's ok lol...

Luckily Zhang Jing Chu didn't speak that much lol, yes her cantonese is worst than daniel wu's tone fo sure

6. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

thread title edited.

7. BabyRain

Oh... no reviews?

8. Knoctur_nal

come again?

9. BabyRain

UGH no one else posted any reviews? Great this thread is officially dead I guess.

Anyway, last review

Invisible Target
    3/5
    (Warning: Spoilers)

I thought it was a decent action flick, put all logic aside, I liked the stunt especially in the beginning or was it in the middle of the show; where Nicholas was hit by a bus.

I was quite surprised with Jaycee's acting, he has improved and his pronunciation has gotten better as well. Not the best actor out there; but he's improved from the last time I seen him in Twins Effect.

The storyline was pretty cliche and predictable, I thought the fight scene at the end was kinda far-fetched and over-exaggerated.. like one guy vs 3? Kinda hilarious, especially when those 3 cops have been fighting off like a group of men in the cafe earlier? Both Nicholas and Shawn were portrayed to be kinda great at fighting ... suddenly the two of them plus Jaycee got owned by this one man? Kinda cheesy. And sure, Nicholas: "Let us take a rest Shawn whilst Jaycee being kicked to death... and then we will make our move". Kinda predictable there.. I guess the director wanted to make a really sad scene for Jaycee... but failed to convince me as a viewer.

And when Jaycee released himself from the handcuffs, he immediately opened the bus door... whilst the guy clearly had it locked at the beginning. That's a big goof that I noticed in the movie.

10. Knoctur_nal

u can keep it going.

11. BabyRain

No thanx, I am not fond of talking to myself... well at least not here.

12. Knoctur_nal

im sure it will prove good to others who are looking for reviews.
    but, you call las.

13. BabyRain

Well if there are replies here, it would help to show at least a few are bothered to read it.. haha

14. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

15. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

Hooked On You

Okay, this movie takes place I think post Hong Kong Handover and it's a romantic comedy movie type movie that spans a decade to show how love and time coop with each other. I think Eason Chan and Mariam Yeung make a good pair in this movie because of their look together and their pretty similar personality. It's just typical Mariam Yeung though, she's always acting kinda crazy in all her movies lol. And Eason didn't see that much movies he's in but looks pretty messy. The character who plays Mariam's dad is funny though, playing the role of an old "player." And Stephanie Cheng, she cracked me up during her scenes, just didn't expect her to act like that in movies ("see nai" type of character). The Story is about how love can be random and also side tracked through one's other desires. Mariam Yeung wanted love but she also wanted better socio economic status but she couldn't choose both because they lead to different paths. Eason Chan falls in love with Mariam but he doesn't care about his economic status he likes what he's doing. This movie definitely prove that love doesn't last forever just like the spots for produce and meat kiosks lol(the story revolves around this setting). Overall I like the setting and the acting in the movie, even though there are somethings that are kinda boring and romantic comedies are mostly only good for one viewing...

3.5/5

16. BabyRain

Where's Hiake and her review on Lust caution? Lol.

Anyone seen Naraka yet?

17. misterchau

misterchau Member

3/5 its a matter of taste

18. SUSIE-DANG-1988

copied and pasted from my other topic here: http://www.dramasian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16749

19. SUSIE-DANG-1988

Means Street Story - 廟街故事

Type:
    hkfilm

Year:

Cast:
    Ekin Cheng, Eric Kot, Annabelle Lau, Meng Lo, Kwong Leung Wong, Chien-lien Wu, Mimi Zhu

Story:
    Miu (Ekin Cheng) grew up on Temple Street, where most of the gangsters in the area gathered, but he never hung around with them. When he accidently kills a mobster he is imprisoned, and his life is changed forever. Upon his release, everything around him is different. He is now stuck in the sinking pit of the triad influence, and can neither escape from the merciless kilings of the underworld, nor run away from the traps of the ordinary world. The only thing in his life that stays the same, is his love Sue. But is that enough to keep him from going over the edge?

lovehkfillm Link: http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/mean_street_story.htm

Personal Comment:
    Watched this today! A traid fillm - alot of fighting! But its all good! Really like ekin character here!
    Abit of romance in here. Not the best triad movie, but was still okay.

Rate: 7/10

20. SUSIE-DANG-1988

猪扒大联盟 - The Irresistible Piggies

Type:
    hkfilm

Year:

Cast:
    Suki Kwan, Kelly Lin, Jordan Chan, Ho-Yin Wong

Story:
    Four women working at the same company are termed "the pork chops" because they are not physically attractive. After a female executive schemes to have them laid off, the "pork chops" exact their revenge.

lovehkfillm Link: http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews/irresisistible_piggies.htm

Personal Comment:
    Funny! hahahas. all 4 'porkchops' has different features on them. Jordon soo funny as a la ying. lmao. hahaha, a funni movie!

Rate: 7/10