Tech News

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by Knoctur_nal, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

Not sure if you guys keep up with whats going on with viruses these days. A few weeks back there was an attack on w2k systems where cnn got hit and other major comapnies using this os. This thing was big, but it only attacked those systems with that particulat os. Now, it seems a variation of that virus/worm,known as Zotob, might be targeting windows xp machines. There are already 12 different versions running around out there according to pc magazine. As recommended by them and microsoft, patches have been releaed and it is highly recommended that user keep uptodate with the patches. Along with patching your system i would also recommend giving symantec.com to take a look if they have a removal tool up as they usualy have these things available when a new virus is discovered.
    Knoc
    For more info see:
    http://pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122298,00.asp
    http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/

#61 Knoctur_nal, Aug 24, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  2. Knoctur_nal

Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 will be available September 8, according to a posting in the section of the Mozilla Foundation's Web site devoted to developer news.

Enhancements
    -A software update system to streamline product upgrades
    -faster browser navigation
    -the ability to reorder browser tabs through drag-and-drop operations
    -improved pop-up blocking
    -better support for Mac OS X

3. good stuff, shall we sticky this thread?

4. Knoctur_nal

i vote for sticky!...dank will second that also.
    Knoc

5. Knoctur_nal

right on!...thanks...

6. Knoctur_nal

4G
    "Cellphones capable of transmitting data at blistering speeds have been demonstrated by NTT DoCoMo in Japan. In experiments, prototype phones were used to view 32 high definition video streams, while travelling in an automobile at 20 kilometres per hour. Officials from NTT DoCoMo say the phones could receive data at 100 megabits per second on the move and at up to a gigabit per second while static. At this rate, an entire DVD could be downloaded within a minute. DoCoMo's current 3G (third generation) phone network offers download speeds of 384 kilobits per second and upload speeds of 129 kilobits per second."

man...is this crazy or what!!!!!!!

#67 Knoctur_nal, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  7. redforest

redforest Well-Known Member

that's crazy, 100Mbps via radio transmission. hmm... it says the car was travelling at 20km/h, i wonder does it affect the reception if the car travels at 70km/h and above? 20km/h is like super duper slow.

8. Knoctur_nal

Ipod nano...
    Holds up to 1,000 songs and full-color album art
    Only 3.5 x 1.6 x 0.27 inches and 1.5 ounces
    Bright 1.5-inch color LCD display
    Up to 14 hours of battery life(1)
    Apple Click Wheel
    Charges and syncs via USB
    Accessory-compatible Dock connector
    Completely skip-free playback
    Works with Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP
    Plays music, podcasts and audiobooks
    Holds up to 25,000 photos
    Syncs contacts, calendars and to-do lists

what will they think of next..
    http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

Attached Files:

#69 Knoctur_nal, Sep 7, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  9. Knoctur_nal

Ok, this is for t hose of you that have wireless networks. As you may or may not already know, wireless security is somewhat of a major concern when it comes to home use. I mean, the only security most people know about when it comes to setting up a home network is WEP. Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is a security system that uses a series of keys on both sides of a wireless transmission to encrypt data for secure transmission. WEP can be cracked in under one minute by an experienced hacker....non experienced hacker...around 30 mins using all freeware tools. Now, depending on the wiressless router you get, they come with certain security features that you can use. Wep/WPA/TKIP/MAC Filtering etc are just to name a few. All the security is setup on the wireless router itself. Now this is where things get interesting, Mcafee has just released a wireless security application for wireless networks. This is the first of its kind that i have seen from an antivirus vendor, which makes it interesting and the fact that it is geared towards the home user. I personally won't be testing this app for a while, but for those of you who want that added software security, you may want to check it out. I'll try to get a review and post it.

Also, on a side note, oddly enough, it seems that Ebay want to buy Skype, the voip company, for around 2-3 billion dollars....

#70 Knoctur_nal, Sep 9, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  10. wow, thanks for telling me now i'll go try those freeware wep cracking utilities

:naughty:

11. Knoctur_nal

haaa....one can be amazed at what google can reveal.....i was surprised at how easy it was..as i wanted to test the security of my own wireless network.....WEP is is considered basic these days...but still good to have..but along with other security features.

12. and i thought anything 128 bit encrypted was secure

13. Knoctur_nal

wel;...128bit for home users is sufficient..i mean..what hacker is gona drive around and try to crack and waste his time to crack some residential wireless network..unless he wants something from that person...for me...i just like to enable what i learn in my wireless class....and i'm also paranoid...

14. Moki

Moki Guest

he gets free internet access :p

15. Knoctur_nal

hell....you can get that at starbucks these days and at most mickydys in the bay/king area....

16. Knoctur_nal

Ripped from pcworld.com:

"Threat Alert: Instant Messaging Attacks

Worms disguised as harmless links or attachments wriggle through chat software.

Erik Larkin
    From the November 2005 issue of PC World magazine
    Posted Friday, September 30, 2005
    By now you know to be leery of e-mail attachments, even when they seem to come from a friend or colleague. These days, however, you also have to be careful of IM attachments and links--because the virus writers are already there, too.

"We've done a much better job of locking down e-mail," says Francis Costello, chief technical officer at San Diego-based Akonix, which helps clients secure instant messaging and peer-to-peer software. "People are turning to instant messaging as the new attack vector."

In the first quarter of this year, Costello says, Akonix saw more than double the 17 IM threats it found in all of 2004. And in the second quarter, there were four times as many threats as in the first quarter.

IM worms hijack IM clients by first reading a user's buddy list of contacts. Then the worm sends a message along the lines of "hehe :) i found this funny movie" to the people on that list, with a link that downloads the worm. Or the message might be "hey, check out this picture" and have the worm attached.

Some hybrid worms split the attack by going after instant messaging and peer-to-peer networks at the same time. One version of the Bropia worm sends out instant messages and drops itself into the shared directory of popular P-to-P apps.

Another worm, Win32.VB, can also spread itself via IM and P-to-P, but adds a new twist. It forces its host to open up to the Internet and help spread the worm; when the worm sends out an instant message with a link, the link goes to the computer hosting the worm.

Although some IM attacks are becoming more innovative, most worms of this type are "kind of crude to date," Costello says, "but crude is working very effectively. Unfortunately, the one thing I've learned in this business is that [virus writers] will innovate."

17. Knoctur_nal

Lupper Worm Targets Linux

So far it's benign, but security vendors urge inoculation.

Nancy Weil, IDG News Service
    Tuesday, November 08, 2005
    A worm that affects Linux systems and spreads by exploiting Web server-related vulnerabilities has been reported by antivirus companies, but so far Linux.Plupii, which is also known as Lupper, hasn't spread much and isn't seen as much of a threat.

Linux users should update antivirus software and patches to protect against the worm, say representatives of the major antivirus product vendors said. Both McAfee and Symantec have updated their software to identify and stop the worm.

Information about the worm can be found at McAfee's Web site and also from Symantec.

How Worm Works
    The worm spreads by exploiting Web servers hosting vulnerable PHP/CGI programming language scripts, according to McAfee. The worm is a derivative of the Linux/Slapper and BSD/Scalper worms from which it has taken its propagation strategy, McAfee said in information provided on its Web site about the worm, which was discovered Sunday.

The worm attacks Web servers by sending malicious Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) requests on port 80, McAfee said. If the server being targeted is running a vulnerable script at certain URLs and is configured to permit external shell commands and remote file download in PHP/CGI the worm could be downloaded and executed, McAfee said. It can also harvest e-mail addresses stored in Web server files.

The worm opens a back door on a compromised computer and then generates URLs to scan for other computers to infect and that can affect network performance, according to Symantec.

Symantec rates the worm as having a medium damage and distribution threat. As of Tuesday morning, it hadn't spread much and Symantec said it is easy both to contain and remove. McAfee assessed it as a low threat for both corporate and home users.

18. Knoctur_nal

Heres a nifty utility for those of you who need to view the processes running on your pc and it actually displays what those processes are associated with. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

#79 Knoctur_nal, Nov 8, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  19. Moki

Moki Guest

oh that's cool but what about control alt and delete?