Tech News

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by Knoctur_nal, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

Simple, a thread to post either daily or weekly news in the Tech world.

2. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

so whats this weeks? we should do a special on the 12 Monkeys

3. Knoctur_nal

we shall see what i pull out of the pink hat on friday nite.....

4. Knoctur_nal

12 Monkey
    A project we did (Knoc, Dank and Raf) that involved 12 monitors that can either act as one individual monitor or 12 separate monitors.
    Setup:
    12 17' Lcd monitors
    Intel Pentium 4 3ghz Extreme Edition 1mb cache
    2 40G hard drives
    5pci slots
    1agp
    5 ati radeon 64mb
    asus motherboard...etc...as i can't rbr anything else...

Attached Files:

• 594.jpg
      594.jpg
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Views:
  5. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

radeon 7000
    asus p4s800dx

6. Knoctur_nal

i gota get more details on that bad boy....gota check with dany

7. Knoctur_nal

Ipod= a variety of new devices from apple?
    (1)-A wrist-worn iPod would keep time and play music, using Bluetooth to wirelessly beam tunes to earbuds or headphones.
    (2)-A portable player would utilize Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and enable users to remotely connect to the iTunes store or the music kept on their computers. The dark color distinguishes it from today's iPods, which require wired connections to download or listen to songs.
    (3)-A digital image/iPod combo would feature a camera for still photos and video and would wirelessly sync with iPhoto, iMovie, and iTunes. A low-power color screen would serve as a viewfinder when the vPod is closed and as a larger display when it's open.
    (4)-This Wi-Fi-based home network and media server would be the ultimate digital appliance, managing everything from music and photos to TV recording and office tasks. Shown here are the system's hub, an IP handset for Web-based calls, an iSight device for videoconferencing, and a single iRemote to control it all.
    (5)-iPHONE
    A simplified wireless phone married to an iPod would feature Apple's signature scroll wheel for navigation and a slide-out keypad.

Attached Files:

#7 Knoctur_nal, Apr 9, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  8. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

#4 looks really good. is they really planning on coming out with these or are these just concepts?

9. Knoctur_nal

hey man..i just deliver....u want info...i take cash or debit....

10. Knoctur_nal

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto..._china_sabre_dc

"BEIJING (Reuters) - A Shanghai online game player stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber-sword, the China Daily said Wednesday, creating a dilemma in China where no law exists for the ownership of virtual weapons. Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his "dragon saber," used in the popular online game, "Legend of Mir 3," the newspaper said a Shanghai court was told Tuesday."

"Virtual property seems like something we all take for granted. Think about it: If you engage in any kind of recreational online game where objects or points are collected, you have some virtual possessions you've probably worked hard to gain (Even if its just a spot on the "top scores" board) and would be annoyed if lost. But if someone took your dragon saber or changed your name to theirs on the score board, is it a crime legally? Probably not. Should this change?".....

well..isn't that interesting....

11. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

some people take this stuff too seriously. but i can understand to some degree. its not that they took their virtual weapon. they took something to they worked very hard for. but...people get shot for looking at others the wrong way

12. Knoctur_nal

and these are grown men too....to other news...most of you probably saw this already, but for those who haven't, heres googles attempt at maping (with satelite views also)...www.google.com/maps.....
    Also, how many of you keep up with the monthly security updates by microsoft and how many have you have installed SP2?
    Knoc

#12 Knoctur_nal, Apr 13, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  13. redforest

redforest Well-Known Member

hmmm i leave my microsoft updates automatic, so i don't really handle it, just run the installation whenever updates are downloaded. been using xp sp2 since it's RC1.

anyone using google desktop? i just installed the final version, haven't got all the indexing done, prolly will take quite a while for the task.

14. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

i heard that you need interent connection to use the search feature

15. Knoctur_nal

yeah..i heard same thing..that would defeat the whole purpose of it would it not?

16. redforest

redforest Well-Known Member

i haven't really tried it out much. when u do local desktop search, u don't need to be online as long as what u wanna see is on ur local hdd. however for the cache of any web pages which are returned as the results, u'll need to get online to view the page.

17. Knoctur_nal

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/admanctl/index.php
    a good link for those who want to know what those system processes are when one hits ctrl+alt+del...note...you'll find alot of spyware processes and hijack processes running in there if your system isn't protected....as for the google deaktop search...seems it mite come in handy...for now..i don see a need for it for myself......

18. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

yea i used this site when i was trying to figure out if i cleaned out my comp.

19. Knoctur_nal

#19 Knoctur_nal, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  20. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

flash memory will drop by half..sounds good. who knew samsung would get this big