Teaching English abroad

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cailini, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Fight......Fight..... Fight! no seriously though I can see how both views can be acceptable but I would agree with Aoes, learning how to interact with multiple locals definitely gives you a better understand of their way of life and culture. The way people behave correlate to how they were raised, I shouldn't have to explain much more than that.

If you came to the US what cities would you visit, what monuments could you visit to learn an average Americans way of life, goals, hopes and dreams? You simply can't because America is so diverse..... hell half the Americans today don't know the meaning behind our very own flag. What is the Liberty bell in Philly going to prove to you? I have been to a lot of places where its tour after tour. For example in Thailand, during the day we were on a tour bus seeing historical places, amazing and knowledge enriching, however the night came and me and my dad got hungry and visited a local restaurant with dining on the sidewalk type deal and I definitely enjoyed that a lot more. I got to see other locals eat, behave, talk to each other and I saw things that you really have to stop and just take in.

I suppose everyone has their way of doing things, I prefer mingling with the locals for understanding.

2. cailini

cailini Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks incredible. If most of their jobs are like the one you posted, then I definitely want to know more.
    Thank you so much!

3. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

yo yo get in country+get drunk+molest the citizens+double bag it= fun.

go look at art+pick up chicks+molest+double bag= also fun.

win win. :trollface2:

4. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

PM me with your location(city) + what you're looking for/expectations are for teaching in China... if you have a CV(resume) that would help things along quickly... you're also going to need to take one of those teaching certs, unless you want to just be a TA...

5. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

lol the first page of this thread was jokes. :rolleyes2:handoff1

Anyway, there are a few solid programs out there that don't even require ESL or EFL cert's to get into. The JET program for one only requires that you have a bachelors degree from an accredited university.

There are also alternatives to teaching just language abroad. I have an uncle who often travels to China in order to teach online marketing classes (essentially how to spam people) but w/e he makes good money. If you have some sort of skill or knowledge that sets you apart, it's a good place to start to look for opportunities. Teaching english in a foreign country, even if you had your TESOL, CELTA and DELTA certificates probably wouldn't make you rich by north american standards, but you'll definitely be making more than locals assuming you're in a country with lower socioeconomic standards; particularly if you have the CELTA and DELTA.

Kind of a tangent to the topic, I'm looking into the Ivey School of Business in Western Ontario for my MBA next year and they have a post-grad program called the "China Teaching Project" where you go teach a case-based class to a university in Shanghai. I don't think this is that unique to Ivey, if you pursue grad studies there might be the potential to go abroad (dependent on the university) and teach as part of your post-grad and that could ultimately result in a permanent job.

6. cailini

Interesting point, but I'm not really looking to make money or anything. The kind of work that I would be specialized for would require me to be fluent in Mandarin, so teaching now is my best bet.
    That sounds awesome. Definitely take the opportunity to be in Shanghai. It's a really cool city.

7. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

Not teaching mandarin natives tho.... I did always want to do that since I want to learn how to speak mandarin too so it would be a win/win situation..... but honestly, most of the organizations that r gonna hook u up with schools are gonna charge u thousands and thousands of administration fees if you wanna volunteer.... charges that I think are stupid since hardly any of it will be going to the project you'll be assigned to.... however, I did manage to find a orphanage in china that was interested in having me there as a teacher... it is in a rural area which means u won't be staying at a fancy place or whatever.... (I dont think they will charge u anything but I dont think u will get paid either and not sure what ur after)... if ur interested let me know and i will see if i still have their contact details.

Combining teaching and travelling in any country is a good way to explore... even more than most other professions, you'll be living among the locals and it gives u the opportunity to be really involved with the community... in most cases u wont make any money but its an amazing experience!

8. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

http://www.ciee.org/teach/china/

This site looks like a good resource.

Edit:

You'd probably be looking at the China Immersion program, assuming you have a BA and a TEFL or TESL. Best case scenario you'd be making 5,000 RMB a month which is around 750 dollars a month. Not bad if you keep your own costs down and considering that you won't need to pay rent. Total remuneration for a whole year would only be $9,000 though, so you wouldn't have much saved to go home with.

Just in comparison, if you were to do the same thing in Japan with the JET program, the starting salary is $40,000 /yr.

#28 fearless_fx, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  9. cailini

Wow, the difference in salary is crazy (but lving in Japan also costs a lot more).

#29 cailini, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  10. Concordia University? This is not the same Concordia University in Montreal, QC right?

11. cailini

I'm graduating soon and taking this option as a real possibility.
    Does anyone know about the best ways to get certification?
    Which certification is better and what kind of requirements come with it?
    Thanks for your help and responses!

12. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

Hey, i was thinking about teaching abroad as well....
    assuming you from the UK, check out the TEFL site, it offers different courses to help you qualify as a TEFL teacher
    it also gives a list of the jobs available abroad which you can apply from..

If you got a bit more time on your hands, you can go for the PCGE as well which helps you develop your teaching skills on the whole, which would be useful if you decided to teach locally as well..

Also, you might wanna brush up on your other language skills, if you got a second language etc, or the language spoken in whichever country you choose to teach in - helps lessen the communication barrier etc

~ Thats my plans ;) so hope this is helpful to ya

13. cailini

turns out i have a legit grown up job post graduation and my plans to teach and travel have to be postponed...

14. Congratulations on the job offer.

15. cailini

Thanks!!!

16. cailini

Working and traveling abroad ATM, best decision I've ever made!

17. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

You should blog about it! I'd love to read :)