Teach me History : How was the Vietnam War started?

Discussion in 'Vietnamese Chat' started by TvbAddict, Dec 7, 2005.

1. lilbabytiga

lilbabytiga New Member

the spread of communism is just a generalized way of saying. the belief of communism spread amongst the poor people of North Vietnam so yeh.... and pho has been a traditional food of south vietnam. so we can't say anything about it.

2. wu_li_zhong

wu_li_zhong Member

Please go to WIKIPEDIA.ORG
    www.wikipedia.org and search Viet Nam War
    Everything is there!

3. sexmachine

sexmachine Member

it's the communist VS democrat thing, just like in korean (south and north)

4. Vina

Vina Member

believe in slave? say what? where is your source? the reason why the u.s joined is becase they are scared of the spread of communism lol

5. puccaluv83

puccaluv83 Active Member

hehe thanx to taking so many History class I finally realize y Vietname war start.. It was sucks.. I know Viet Cong wanted Viet ppl to be in control but I don't like the idea of North attacking the South cuz my grandpa said b4 when French colonies Vietnam our ppl have everything.. no starvation like now.. our coupntry wasn't poor..now we so ppoor. cuz of the stuipd war..

6. Vina

Vina Member

had everything? such as?yeah go ahead and be slaves to them -rolleyes

7. shev

shev Member

"Vietcong" is not a good words to call Vietnamese, don't call us like that.
    It had taken us 1000 years to fight against Sina from North, 100 years to KO Frech from far West and 20 years to unite our country. Vietnamese history is history of wars, and we know for sure how to keep our country.
    War is past, look forwards to future.

And we're not slaves now, you're such a stupid guy to think like that.

8. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

How did the war started?

Before the WW2 the world was dominated by imperialist powers with almost complete control of all commodities (tea, silver, oil, rubber, hardwood, tin, diamonds....). The emergence of USA as a world power and great industrialists like Rockerfella, Carnegie, Mellon, Ghetty.... wanted to break the strangle hold of these imperialist powers who controlled most of the world's trade. As a condition of USA entering Europe to help these great colonial , GB, France, Spain, Italy ...there was a deal made to transition all these colonies around the world to be democratic and free nations. In this way USA could deal individually with these new nations free from dealing with GB , France....not dissimilar to USA foreign policy now...hence the connection between USA, France and Vietnam. Of course great powers like GB and France wanted to transition slower than what the locals would like. A gradual transition would mean that the business powers from these countries would slowly draft the constitutions, legal system, banking system....and foster local business people (always few in number) who favoured the "mother" countries. Here was the problem, the benefits for the tiny minority was not good for the bulk of the people who were poor and uneducated. The only people who were prepared to rock the boat to make things happen faster were the communists. Why communists you may ask. This was because prior to the WW2 and certainly WW1 the great industrialised countries exploited the people hugely. In GB as in France the rich people lived grandly but the bulk of the population remained servants to the aristocrats and the gentry class. Certainly Ho Chi Minh did not want this economic model for Vietnam, Vietnam was for the people of Vietnam and not for the minority few. He had the vision that Vietnam would transition into a country for the few. (Evidence: just look at all those former colonies around the world now and look at who controls the money and the land in those countries!) (Just like China who also had a feudal system of landlord and peasants. Yes, most of our ancestors were peasants and could not live and that was why we emigrated for a better life.). Ho Chi Minh and other ran campaigns to make the French leave Vietnam sooner so that Vietnam could have self determination and rule. The unfortunate thing was that France invited the Americans in and whence the origin of the Vietnam war! Why did the Americans like Vietnam strategically?-
    1) Oil in South China Sea
    2) To stop the encroachment of communism across SE East as it would affect the supply of tin, rubber and many essential commodities. (Remember back in the Vietnam war era, e.g. rubber plantation was still extremely important as latex did not have a cheap substitute like we have now,also remember back then very few people had refridgerators and plastic packaging/alu packaging were non-existent and tin was also a key metal)
    3) USA was to be a world power replacing the sunset of the powers of the British Empire and France...it needed to replace the space which had previously been occupied by these powers as indeed these powers who had replaced the Austria Hungarian, Ottoman Empires before them and the Romans and the Greek before them! Expansionism is king!

9. tdmt

tdmt Well-Known Member

vietnam had nothing under french rule

10. tdmt

tdmt Well-Known Member

it's the us that made the south rich, not french

11. mtree

mtree Well-Known Member

north wanted to take over south south fighted back u.s butted in and helped south, u.s then left coz they thought ''whats the point of us helping were not getting anthying out of it'' and so the war ended , everything was bombed,smashed,battered and thats how its been till today well thats what my parents have been telling me but ill go on wiki juts incase

12. yenthi

yenthi Well-Known Member

gahhh i had this debate at college the other day, why do american government always get involved with other peoples business >___<