TAIYOU NO UTA - Erika vs YUI?

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by xhikarux, Nov 28, 2006.

1. xhikarux

xhikarux Guest

anyone watch the movie/ drama?

who do u think played the character better?

I personally think Erika is prettier but for vocals its got to be YUI

2. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

They both played the character Kaoru Amane excellently. They are both works of art. As for Erike ,of course, she is not a naturally talented singer...but then again,she was not meant to be one in the film or drama plot. Many viewers lost the plot and think that Kaoru in the movie and the drame should be a talented singe.Well the plot is the struggle of a person who just wants to sing,whatever it takes, with endless love,of course!

3. wilsont06

wilsont06 Well-Known Member

i thought erika and yui is the same person? erika as yui in the movie right?

4. saikira

saikira Well-Known Member

i watched tha movie but didn't see tha series, i dink yui is better than erika is that her name, well movie, givs out all tha parts you need to noe

5. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Taiyou No Uta

In both the movie and the drama series the girl's name is Kaoru Amana. In the movie version she is played by YUI who is a singer and not an actress normally. In the drama series she is played by Erika Sawajiri who is an actress and not a singer normally! And when you see the two versions you will become of this fact very clearly! However both versions are excellently performed.Some people have critised Erika's singing in the drama series. This is unfair since no publicity ever claimed her to be a top rate naturally talented singer. The plot of the film is about a dream aspiration of a dying young person. In this regard I found the weaker singing of Erika would appeal to the common people more and make the story more powerful for all those karaoke wannabees. After all if we all have 6 months' to live we would all want to live our last days to the full, wouldn't we?! Even if we cannot sing and aspire to be a singer, we would want to sing with our last breaths!
    Best to watch the movie first and then the drama, or else you would find the movie too light and shallow after watching the 11 episodes of the drama series.

So my hat to Sony and the production people who have done the marketing job brilliantly. For music fans watch the drama and listen to YUI singing if you like better singing. The drama OST is mostly music with no singing and the music is superb and for Erika's singing buy Taiyou No Uta music CD marketed as Kaoru Amana being the singer rather than Erika Sawajiri as the singer (but of course, she sings on this album). So this was very well thought out by Sony Records by using Kaoru Amana (the fictional character) as the album's singer name. It is the film character and her aspiration that is the buying appeal for the songs... not necessarily who actually sung the songs (= Erika)! Well done, for Erika's agent, for keeping her name branded as an actress. -worship

6. ryoko

ryoko Member

Personally I liked the movie more than the drama and I am a Yui biggest fan so it´s obviious that I would prefer her but the songs were better too

7. fabhi

fabhi Member

both are good actress... but I think, I´m prefer tayou no uta song with Erikas sawajiri... besides.. Yui is better actress then Erika( but she is much more cute...rs)

8. xers

xers New Member

eventhough im a fan of erika but i still have to say yui fits amane's role better

9. niceboyjpn

niceboyjpn Member

For the vocal I choose Yui but for acting I think Erika is better.

10. nforce1

nforce1 Member

I haven`t watched the series yet but the YUI was great in her film debut(the expression on her face when the bus stop sign was being moved back was priceless),i couldn`t imagine anyone else playing the role so well and YUI has an amazing voice.I`ll let you know my opinion after i`ve watched the series and had a repeat viewing of the movie.

#10 nforce1, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  11. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Didn't watch movie and didn't finish series. I'm going to lean towards Erika.

12. sn3ky_x

sn3ky_x Active Member

yui rules=D

13. benjwang

benjwang Well-Known Member

hard to tell, both are good :d

14. sun1986

sun1986 Member

hmm i sure vote for YUI loved her voices....

15. sora_lily

sora_lily Well-Known Member

Hmm, they've both got their pros and cons.
    Like Sawajiri has great acting while she may lack vocals.
    Yui on the other hand sang better but I didn't get into the movie as much as I did with the drama. I guess I've voted for Erika, since her acting gets me into the show a lot more than the movie did, and her singing is okay.

16. philostrate

philostrate Well-Known Member

i think YUI is better because YUI is a singer in real life and she knows how to play an instrument! erika's character in the drama is ok but the way she played the guitar was kinda novel but her songs in the drama is nicer than the movie version

17. ahmoon

ahmoon Member

i think both..
    erika's version is more rockish
    yui's version is more soothing

18. koala_bry

koala_bry Member

i didn't watch the movie yet and i only know yui in name..actually i never heard her sing -sweat..she's more a singer then an actress,right??
    anyways..i like sawajiri so -sweat..i think i will probably more enjoy the drama then the movie..probably..will watch the movie soon!!

19. wats_blue

wats_blue Well-Known Member

I watched the movie before I watched the TV series...I preferred Yui.

Erika was good in 1 Litres of Tears though... :)

20. Jimmo

Jimmo Well-Known Member

Erika all the way!, I liked her in 1 Litres of Tears and this one was pretty good too :)