Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Discussion in 'Health, Beauty, and Fashion' started by Vend, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Vend

Vend Well-Known Member

2. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Re: Video 2; old but nonetheless excellent seminar. If anyone is interested here's a 1986 revised edition of the 1972 book that he talked about (not by personal link): Link

3. -Tisken-

-Tisken- Well-Known Member

lustig (german) = funny

4. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

i love my sugar, but i do use unrefined cane sugar. Still not as healthy as none at all but we're going to die someday.

5. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I think the thrust of the video is to alert people to how the food industry has been substituting real sugar with cheap fructose in just about all foods. The problem with fructose is that it doesn't participate in the physiologic feedback loops that human bodies need to regulate carbohydrate metabolism and intake. In effect, it allows you to keep eating even and continue to overindulge even as you're gaining unhealthy weight. You can still love your sugar, that isn't the problem. Yes, we're all going to die someone day; but the choice here is whether we lived out our lives being ripped off or not by a food industry that is only concerned about making money despite the harm to public health. So, yes Bulla, you WILL eventually die, as will we all. But our choice is either to die after having lived a life of dignity and self determination, or as an unknowing victim of unscrupulous food manufacturers who made their money laughing at us behind our backs as they fucked us in the ass. As far as I'm concerned this is our choice, buddy; to either sit still for it, or to at least stand up and make a lot of uncomfortable noise for them. I don't know about you, but this is exactly the sort of selfish corporate shit that makes my blood boil.

If people really want to know just how pervasive this is, just look at the fine print of EVERY processed food item you EVER buy; in the list of ingredients, it is usually listed as "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" or something along those lines. Lest anyone think that this is an impossible task; the American food industry is notoriously sensitive to bad press. Just look at what we did with "pink slime" and one has hope that fructose too, can go the same way.

#5 ralphrepo, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. Vend

Vend Well-Known Member

@ralphrepo

A lot of people are just plain dumb or lazy to find out what's really going on. There's a saying going on around that "ignorance is bliss". Most people want to be on the "comfort zone" with little knowledge. It is a shame to those who just buy food without knowing what's in it and how it got on the shelf.

"Just wait until it happens to you, and then you'll care".