Speaking Of Ex-Girlfriends From Hell, Anyone Followed The Jodi Arias Case?

Discussion in 'Love and Relationships' started by ralphrepo, May 9, 2013.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Yesterday, after a five year investigation and a four month trial, Jodi Arias was finally convicted of the premeditated first degree murder of a former boyfriend, Travis Alexander; whose gruesome slaying shocked many by its sheer brutality. He had been shot in the head and stabbed nearly 30 times, with one knife wound nearly decapitating him. Many people talk about relationships gone wrong, with spurned women laying out their scorn unto former paramours. But IMHO, this case certainly took the cake; she meticulously planned his murder, then so convincingly lied that many actually felt sympathy for her. That is, until all the signs pointed to her as being the culprit. Since the US state, where it happened, Arizona, is a state that allows capital punishment; the jury is now going to be tasked with deciding whether to put her to death. IMHO, this case certainly fits the type that would warrant death. Opinions?

Source: http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/05/08/jodi-arias-trialthe-saga-isnt-over?hpt=hp_c2

#1 ralphrepo, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

Of course. It's way overdue. I support capital punishment all the way for this case. In general, I think anytime you murdered someone; crazy shooting death or premeditated .. all deserve death. You took away someone's life then you too don't get to live on .. fair and square. Sometimes, I don't know why the US makes it so complicated ... all the issues .. sigh ..

3. ralphrepo

Actually, the issues arise primarily because of the incompetence, malfeasance, and or the lack of enforcement, judicial and or prosecutorial honesty; ie. some condemned were thus wrongly convicted and then are being put to death unjustly. There is a qualitative difference between punishing a criminal or just lashing out at any passerby simply because something bad had transpired. The former is the epitome of jurisprudence, whilst the later is more in line with human sacrifice to appease the anger of an imaginary deity, or in the modern sense, an angry public.

Years ago, anti-death penalty ranks were filled by those that advocated based on moral or religious teachings primarily about the sanctity of life; how taking a life would put the state at a level no better than that of a murderer. However, recent years has seen a strategic legal shift; the death penalty is being attacked not by moral philosophers, but by legal technocrats who deride it as being the ultimate error in a system that gets it wrong nearly half the time. Their claim is, that in such a case there really can't be justice because the sentences are being carried out against innocents and not the actual criminals that perpetrated the crimes.

Punishment in the United States, by its very nature, was designed as a way to discourage others from conducting themselves in a similar (presumptively criminal) manner. Historically it is also a legal mechanism by which moral civilization ensures personal responsibility of its citizens. Conversely, some nations will knowingly execute innocents; its rationale being that such is a method of deterrence through intimidation, to prevent recurrence of certain events which the state found inconsistent with its needs. This is a social control methodology usually associated with that of totalitarian regimes; it is devoid of moral justification even as such states enact law to legalize its practice.

Based on the foundation of our legal system, the manner in which we hold ourselves above all others in the administration and practice of laws, we ourselves have been found wanting. We aspire to the morality of high civilization, but nearly half the time, we practice punishment in a de facto manner that is reminiscent of the totalitarian state. This is the crux of the issue; I tend to agree with the legal technocrat; we have to get it right before proceeding. After have said all that, in this case, I don't think there is any technical problem with this woman's guilt. She's plainly admitted it, and this was only after the police caught her in a series of elaborate lies. At trial it was also demonstrated that she behaved in a manner consistent with the meticulous planning of the crime; that is, premeditation.

In essence, she is the perfect death penalty candidate. I don't have a problem with that.

4. who was speaking of ex girlfriends?

5. ralphrepo

6. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

premeditated murder is a pretty heinous crime. If someone can meticulously plan another person's death i'd say they are pretty much beyond rehabilitation.

7. ralphrepo

8. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

yea she's a psycho.... but i wouldnt feel pity for the guy that die also.... he could've been a douche bag that deserve to die.... i dunno....

9. ralphrepo

Interesting that you should say that. As a matter of fact, if you had followed the four month long trial, that was exactly the picture that her defense attorneys tried to paint; that is, to 'dirty up the victim' in an effort to get her off. In the course of the investigation, it was revealed that she first denied it, then claimed that it was done by two masked perpetrators; then upon iron clad and damning evidence that it was only her, claimed "self defense" and "battered women" or "PTSD" that led her to black out and murder him without recollection.

However, to her undoing, just about every single one of the people who knew the both of them testified that her victim was the kindest, gentlest person, and that she was not only self serving, but manipulative and controlling. As soon as he was found dead, several of their friends immediately told investigators to first check out Jodi as she was the first person that they suspected who would kill him. To make matters worse, even her own parents told police investigators that she was a chronic liar who couldn't be trusted to tell the truth since the age of fourteen. Arias then went on the stand and accused her own parents of abusing her when she was a child.

If ever there was a slam dunk prosecution? This was it. The only one who deserves death here is her.

BTW, here's an in depth review by the program, 48 hours, that details her cunning and elaborate lies:

[video=youtube;WLSaNaNjXwU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSaNaNjXwU[/video]

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50147080n

#9 ralphrepo, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  10. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I've seen her nudes that's about it.

11. ralphrepo

As did I, and they're really nothing to write home about. Her death sentencing hearing statement was ludicrous; she pleaded with the jury to spare her life so that she could help society by donating her hair to make wigs for sick children, and starting a prison literacy program for other inmates. She revealed that she was a "gentle" person who shepherded spiders in her house back outside rather than killing them...

...instead of slitting their throats like she did Travis.

This woman is all about herself and not once did she show remorse for what she had done. IMHO, if anyone ever deserved capital punishment, it is her.

12. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

Wow Ralph .. never seen you so adamant about something especially about death penalty ... lol. I didn't follow the case thoroughly but I have always supported the death penalty for those criminals who have proven for murder and/or any sort of killing of another human being.

13. ralphrepo

Normally, no; I would err on the side of caution as there are historically many, many cases of people being exonerated whilst on death row. There have been occasions where there is high likelihood that innocents were put to death. Even the classic academy award winning tale, Ox Bow Incident, written and filmed in the 1940's, offers ample discussion on those, for the sake of "justice," being wrongly put to death. However, in this case, there is no doubt whatsoever. Even the culprit herself, after a parade of lies, eventually admitted it. But what made her crime all the more terrible, was the fact that after she was caught, she then tried to blame the victim; first by claiming that he battered her, then by besmirching his reputation, with the accusation that he was a pedophile. In other words, she would do anything to escape punishment.

Premeditated murder, if proven beyond all reasonable doubt, warrants capital punishment. In this case, I feel that the state of Arizona, easily met that legal burden.

#13 ralphrepo, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013