Sisley Choi Burdened with Criticism for 3-Years

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, May 6, 2017.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

sisley-choi-2017.jpg

It has been a stressful three years for Sisley Choi (蔡思貝), who hasn’t gone a day without the burden of negative gossip. The 2013 Miss Hong Kong runner-up, who made her debut three years ago as an actress, has had both her public and private life judged—from the controversy behind her academic career, to the constant love rumors with her co-stars. Sisley knew she had to stay strong to keep herself sane, but all that negative gossip actually made Sisley feel more inferior.

Although it’s been only a mere three years since Sisley started acting, she’s had the opportunity to play a variety of different roles—a college student, a cyclist, a martial artist, a police officer. In her most recent drama My Dearly Sinful Mind <心理追兇Mind Hunter>, Sisley played a gentle and quiet social worker, a stark contrast from her earlier robust roles. Sisley has a gentle personality herself, much unlike the image she puts on in her acting career.

At one point in time, Sisley was rumored to be dating a different co-star every month, significantly bringing down her public image. “I’ve had rumors with both Alan Wan (溫家偉) and Adrian Chau (周志文), and they’re both close friends of mine. We’re practically sisters. But I know time will tell. We’re still friends and hang out.”

At the mention of her rumored boyfriend Shing Mak (麥秋成), Sisley said, “I’ve never admitted to dating him, and I also won’t admit to breaking up with anybody. I don’t want to elaborate on my romantic life to the public. I only need my close friends to know. After all, I don’t consider dating to be a two-person thing. I will introduce my boyfriend to my friends and family.”

Sisley said she used to hide herself in a corner and cry when she first faced the reality of having to deal with negative press. “I felt like everything I did was wrong, and it really affected my performance. But now I know how to adjust it, and kick away the negativity.”

For years, the 26-year-old was criticized for her poor acting and being too loud in her roles. She has heard all of the constructive criticism and is working on improving herself. “I’m not getting as much complaints about me being too loud anymore, but I know I still have some lazy tones. I think it’s because I speak many languages, and that slurs my speech. I really need to work on that.”

The attacks Sisley faced during the first three years of her career made her feel inferior, but she’s going to build confidence from experience.

“I need to build more confidence, so I’ve been doing a lot more reading and exercising. I’ve been watching more movies to work out my acting,” she said. “That’s how I’m going to find my confidence again.”

Creds: Ming Pao

2. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

I'm usually very bias towards her but I will say this, I cannot care less about her on/off scene romance with anyone, because quite frankly it's not of my business. But I do care about the quality of the show I watch, I invest my time watching anything, and most of the time, I pre-judge a show based on who is in it...for the most part, most of shows that stars Sisley as the main lead i usually ignore and not watch unless said lead role isn't technically a lead role where she isn't the main star (aka Fashion War).

I care more about the following though

It may not happen overnight or in the near future but if she keeps working at it, we'll see where she'll end up... I mean to be completely fair, Linda was in the business for about a decade or more, and I really never liked her acting. And then you have Fala, Koni, Ali Lee, Krystal Tin (just to name a few on top of my head, not really a complete list) whom were in the business for about the same if not less, but has seen steady improvement.

But then again I also won't pin most of the blame on her, most of this is due to poor management/poor marketing on TVB's part...they're rushing all these new kids on the block to take lead roles when they aren't ready. It's fine when you're filming like high school love stories or the theme is around college/post graduation times, but when your lead role is a mere 20'ish year old playing roles like an experienced detective or doctor, or even experienced businessman, that's where I have the most problem with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

LOL. The media is notorious for this though. They purposely go out and shame people. They start rumors because that creates buzz and gossip. It's sad, but this is how things have become. People actually do things for social media, and it's just a facade.

No one is perfect, but the academic thing is a bit shocking..

4. xaznxryux certainly has it out for sissy lately writing paragraphs on why he hates her :kelefe:

didnt netizens praise her for her last role? the one with Lawrence? and she had some kind of movie role too that wasn't bad

I see progress from her slowly at least better than Grace *shrug

• Like Like x 1
  5. xaznxryux

random night random thoughts lol :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

he fantasizes about them all, its called roid rage

7. xaznxryux

I don't think you know what roid rage is lmao

8. ailyeric

ailyeric Well-Known Member

i think sisley has improved a lot. i like her more now.

9. BeauKnows

BeauKnows Well-Known Member

Grace Chan is hurt by negative comments on her acting and now Sisley Choi is burdened by similar criticism. It comes with the territory of becoming an actress after a making a name for yourself through a beauty pageant instead of graduating from acting class. Got to able to hack it.

10. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Agree to this! I remember TVB used to have more younger based series such as "Heart of Fencing" where they put new comers in and then gradually build them up...I guess they no longer do those kind of series any more...Or if anything more light-hearted series where they could stick newbies in, but instead it seems like they stick the ones that have been here awhile like Mandy Wong who could easily pull off a good heavy drama type series...