Samsung dethrones Apple, crowned new king of smartphone market

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by Dan, Oct 21, 2011.

1. http://androidandme.com/2011/10/news/samsung-crowned-king-new-ruler-of-smartphone-market/

Not for everyone, but personally I thought this was huge news.

2. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I personally see more iphone users than Samsung users. So this news is kinda big for me as well.. didn't expect it at all

3. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

^iPhone are popular in North America where as other brands are more popular in Asia, Europe, etc. But it seems like Apple is slowly gaining the market in Asia and Europe.

4. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

Time to own both.

5. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

Samsung has been making phones for a lot longer than AAPL. The fact is, AAPL supplies and makes components for AAPL. AAPL is a brand, it's technological innovations are still dependent on what its partners can fulfill.

AAPL's market is very constrained, and very exclusive, to a point where it's preserving its own brand. The article is biased of course and neglects to indicate what SAMSUNG"s approach is, in terms of market share. They simply have more choice and selection.

6. MrCooperS

MrCooperS Well-Known Member

I think you meant Samsung supplies and makes components for Apple.

Samsung makes some pretty awesome phones. but the prices of entry for a Samsung is much lower then an iPhone. That is until the recent price drop of the 3GS to "$0" with a two year contract. Samsung also releases phones that hit all market at more locations than the iPhone does.

Let me know when Samsung's cell phone profit margin surpasses Apples.

7. reno

reno Well-Known Member

well its just talking about sales for q3
    and if samsung is more than apple during then, i wouldn't be surprised (since everyone was waiting it out for the 4s/5)
    it's not exactly logical to still buy the 4 when the 4s is about to arrive?

now that the 4s is out... numbers will go against q4 and im sure we'll see what happens then (especially with 1M in < 1 day...)
    overall market share im pretty sure they're sitll behind?

but at least there's competition. which is good news
    means more choices and better features for us! =D

then add into the scene, the windows mango!

8. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

REALLLYYYYY????

9. person

person Well-Known Member

Inneresting. This makes me conflicted, iphone or smartphone? I don't like Samsung brand too much, but they're more preferable compared to say LG. I hate my LG phone right now. Can't wait till my contract ends so I can get another phone.

10. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

Although I agree iPhone sales will go up for next quarter, I disagree that they will pull ahead of Samsung. The Galaxy SII is still the most powerful on the market and it looks like it might be that way till 2012. The Galaxy Nexus is soon to release as the flagship for the Android platform and it's a pretty impressive device. Not to mention ice cream sandwich might be the best Android upgrade to date. I think the improvements in Android alone will keep Samsung ahead of Apple as their phones gain more popularity with more people leaning towards Google's OS.

11. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

^It's really hard to say though.. It took Samsung about 5 months to sell 10 million Samsung Galaxy S II whereas it took Apple a few days for like 2 million iPhone 4S? Samsung Galaxy S II is one of the most powerful phones available, but Apple has the good marketing to sell it's iPhone 4S -whistle

12. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

But apple sells in a massive burst in the beginning due mainly to the I-bots who queue up all week then it slows down, Samsung sells at a steady pace till the end of the products life cycle. -whistle

13. Aznmask

Aznmask Well-Known Member

17.1 million iPhones VS Samsung more than 20 million smartphones in Q3.

Well Samsung sell their smartphone range from $100 to $600 (with no contract)
    While Apple sell either Iphone 3GS or 4, or 4S with contract.

It seem Samsung sell their smartphone in quantity while Apple sell their in quality.

Plus APple have good market because you will buy their accessories, games, application from them.

14. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

ouch.....dethroning....but again, cant be the best forever, everything will end someday...

15. ///M

///M Well-Known Member

16. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

well not surprising since iphone 5 is coming out

17. ///M

///M Well-Known Member

Samsung is dominating in court, huh? This is complete news to me, and in fact, I was referring to the competition between Apple and Samsung either in court or consumer market will never to stop to amaze me just like the comparison between iOS Vs. Android devices...It will never have a 'definite' winner imo cuz THEY are built to suit with different personality between you and me...headbang2

18. You know, I would agree with everything you said, up until "different personality". It's not different personalities they need to suit, the correct term is called market. And in the mobile market, Android and Apple are targeting the same one. The difference is that Apple is much more productive due to its greater abilities in marketing. Technology wise, Apple doesn't even come CLOSE to Android.

As an Apple consumer, you're buying the brand, itunes, the trend/style and marketing. That's all that's different.

19. halflife400

halflife400 New Member

Having used the galaxy s 2 phone for a while and also used the iphone before i would say samsung is the better company for smartphones