Recording Advice

Discussion in 'Performers' started by brown_bear, Jun 10, 2007.

1. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

Hello all.....

well with this new section.....i was thinking mebe we should have a advice section....such as...

- what programs do you use
    - tips on singing
    - how do you record

and exchange tips etc

2. PhY pHy

PhY pHy Well-Known Member

^^^BBear should i move the tips in the recording section here?

3. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ err.....i dont mind....up to you la....seeing as you in charge of it -lol

4. FaithFull

FaithFull New Member

okey dont mind the spelling cus i'm not an intellectual...

what i use for recording is an old program called Cool Edit Pro 2.0
    I downloaded it about three years ago on kazaa but it should be easy to find..
    with that you can record on multiple layers and mix them all down to one recording session..
    also put on effects and all kinds of shit but i haven't figgered that one out yet..
    (properly wont cus i'm lazy haha)

to record i use a Rhode NT1000 its a microfoon i bought somewhere but it really
    dont matter what kind a device you use.. i've heard cats who recorded with a pc mic
    and still sounded like hell yeah...but how about yall what kinda things do you use
    for recording?

5. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

I'm not the best at singing but I can offer some technical insight on hardware. If you're aiming for audio quality, I suggest you by a sound card for your computer. Also look into getting a good microphone. Get a dedicated microphone, not the ones that come with headphones.

6. Arctic_fire

Arctic_fire Well-Known Member

I wonder how u get in the background music? ... u guys just have a high volume while u sing?

7. PhY pHy

no..well...i use a program called audacity...its simple..and easy...u can
    remove the vocals...ill post the info and tips here and remove the same thing
    from my thread...

SINGING FAQ

What is head voice?
    Wikipedia: The head voice is often used when a person shouts or is highly excited. In these situations people tend to produce higher pitches, and these resonate in the mouth and in the bones of the skull, producing the sensation of the sound coming from the head. A person uses the head voice when singing notes at the upper end of his or her vocal range. The tonal qualities of the head voice are usually described as being sweet, balladic, lilting, lyrical, or pure. On the negative side, this register may sound light, unsupported, or breathy, and may not be as loud as the chest voice.

What is chest voice?
    Wikipedia: The chest voice is the register typically used in everyday speech. It is so called because it can produce the sensation of the sound coming from the upper chest. This is because lower frequency sounds have longer wavelengths, and resonate mostly in the larger cavity of the chest. A person uses the chest voice when singing at the bottom of his or her range. The tonal qualities of the chest voice are usually described as being rich or full, but can also be pushed or belted. Trained singers can usually control this register, but some untrained singers may experience vocal problems if they sing excessively in this register without proper training.

How can I warm up before singing?

You can do scales. Some suggest various exercises such as sticking out your tongue and moving it side to side like 3 times, doing arm circles, holding out your arms in jumping jack positions and raising them so that it looks like you're about to dive into a pool and then lowering them down to your sides.

How can I develop a vibratto? How long will it take? Should I try forcing it?
    Learning the vibratto can take years or months. Regardless of time, it really comes down to the technique you're using to produce your vibratto because there are forced techniques and natural techniques.

You can try to sing two adjacent notes and switch back and forth. Then, do it more quickly to reach a vibratto.

It's not good to force a vibratto by fluctuating your air flow with your stomach/diaphragm. It's incredibly unhealthy and it'll result in a dangerous muscle memory. Vibratto, by nature, is a natural oscillation of the vocal cords that help relieve the stress put on them. It has nothing to do with the diaphragm. If you force it, you can hurt yourself.

How can I improve my falsetto?

kokoling: It's a very mental thing. Think of a flying feather, and pull your voice vocally upward. As soon as you get throaty and chesty, the falsetto goes out of the window.

How can I increase my range?
    Believe it or not, your vocal cord is a MUSCLE. So think of trying to increase your range as trying to increase your flexibility. What do you do in gym to increase your flexibility? You stretch! A good way to stretch is to go slightly over the limit, but not so much as to tear your muscle. It's better to stretch your vocal cords little by little for 10 minutes at a time. It might put a strain on your vocal cord if you try to do it too much. Practice continuously, a little bit at a time.

8. snowpear

snowpear Well-Known Member

Practice your voice scale before recording. I'm not if this is a good tip but, you can put a finger in your ear while you're singing to help you concentrate on the tune of the song (from your memory i guess?) and your singing at the same time.

9. PhY pHy

^^really? that works?

10. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

if u ppl r serious with recordin and stuf..i don't think home computer is wat u should do.....get a vocal teacher and get some studio time

11. PhY pHy

hahah...if this is serious...then u should see some people that
    are REALLY serious about in some forums...

12. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

^ do u need me to teach u how to rap lol..whers my song!

13. PhY pHy

LOL..rap...not unless u do it first...lol

14. xxxac3xxx

xxxac3xxx Active Member

Lesson 1: Warming Up

Ever feel tight in the stomach, and throat? Felt that your voice isn't as 'opened'? Do some warm ups, not only for your voice, also for your body.

1. Stand up, stretch your tired body.
    2. Massage your shoulders
    3. Stretch your arms and lift them up high into the air, bend down fully. [Make sure you're standing up.] Relax, let your arms hang down lifelessly. Then, slowly, within 20 to 30 counts, lift your body up into your normal standing posture. This will ensure a relaxed position for singing.
    4. I know this sounds weird, but open your eyes wide, open your mouth wide! Open your facial features wide! Then squeezed them all together! It helps relax your facial muscles.
    5. Stick out you tounge real long, then swallow it back. Do you feel the space in your mouth afterwards? If so, you're doing the right thing.
    6. Imagine you're chewing something in your mouth. Do it for like 15seconds.

Now your voice. You have to prepare your voice for the upcoming singing. If you didn't do any warmups, it's exactly like being pushed to do something unexpected. Therefore, you'll sound forced, emotionless and even bad. Here are some suggestions.

1. Take a deep breath. Imagine the breath is going lower, and lower down into your stomach. You can use your hands to help you, move your hands lower in front of your stomach as you breath. This is one of the breathing techniques that is very very useful.
    2. Have you ever heard the sound of the siren? Imitate it, from low, up to high high notes, then back down again.
    3. Shout: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5!
    4. Sing-say: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5~
    5. The most traditional way, sing ah ah ah ah ah ah ah!

Bascially that's what I usually do before I start singing, troublesome, but it helped.

Lesson 2: Singing

The main factors:

1. The tune and tone. This is the very first, and the one of the most important factor ever. Never force yourself to do songs that you cannot catch up with. Not only it would sound bad, it might even spoil your vocals. If you cannot reach this certain high note, leave it, fill it in with something else, may it be woo, or yeah, it's always better than killing your own vocals.

2. Stand to sing, if not, sit straight. Slouching results in crushing down your disphram, and that makes your voice sound forced.

3. Emotions comes with the lyrics. Interpret the song before you start singing, or else you'll sound toneless. Let yourself be the one in the singer's shoes, if they can sing with emotions, you can too.

4. Actions - Don't be afraid to dance to the tune, shake yout body! Feel sad when you hear a sad melody. Move your hands when you try to hit a falsetto! Imagine Mariah Carey!

That's a few factors that I think i should point out. It's getting late now, and I don't think my brain can function much longer.

Have Fun!

15. xxxac3xxx

xxxac3xxx Active Member

Adobe Audition FTW =]

16. snowpear

snowpear Well-Known Member

Great tips! lol i always have a tight throat in the morning. I can't ever reach ti, and do. So, i kinda bring it down and, still sing the same tune. my cousin said i sound lifeless when i sing, because i never get lyrics lol!

17. gman05

gman05 Member

Recording -
    A great method of recording for an everyday person with a PC, a mic and a passion to sing can just follow these simple steps.
    1. Download and install Adobe Audition v1.5 (click here)

2. Crack it to get rid of the 30 day trial expiry period. after you have downloaded the crack, unzip it to the file where you installed audition (should be C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Audition 1.5/) and simply run the exe
    dl it here

thats it! Adobe audition is a great recording/editing program thats simple enough to use at first, but once you start experimenting and recording more, you'll learn a lot more about it.

As for instrumentals to record songs with only bg music (no vocals) go to www.wo99.com
    this site only has mostly chinese music though...however i have found a few old english songs there (like backstreet boys...=P) otherwise you can try out the vocal remove feature on adobe audition.

warning - vocal remove will almost definitely reduce the quality of a song and will still have traces of the original singer, because vocal remove is not a flawless process.

once you have finished recording a song...you can create an account at www.soundclick.com which is a really nice way to showcase your music in a strong user-generated music community (check out my soundclick if you wanna see for yourself)

if anyone has anymore problems or questions, ask away! =D

hope that helps some of you new and aspiring singers out there ^^