Recommendations for new phone

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by BigM, Aug 14, 2009.

1. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Well.. its been like ages since I've wanted a new phone to replace my brick.. and since I have someone going to HK soon, I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm planning to just buy the handset, but ill see if that phone comes with a decent plan that is worthwhile.
    I don't know much about the phone market.. But I'm really looking for a phone that works - not looking for anything new, fancy or expensive, but I would like a decent looking phone. Brands.. well don't really mind.

I'm looking to spend anywhere between 200-400 AUD.. so around 1200 - 2400 HKD on the phone..

Some features that I would like it to have is internet browser, wifi, 3-5 megapixel camera, i'm leaning towards tactile controls (like standard abc, def buttons) around 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch screen.. Not too bulky.. I'm not a heavy phone user, occasional call and texts so I'm not really that fussy.

I already have an iPod Touch that I do tend to carry around a lot for music/games, so the phone doesn't need to be a "music phone". I've also thought about the iPhone, but pricewise, I don't think its worth it.

The description here's a bit more bland I guess.. please make some suggestions and I'll check them out.

Cheers

2. Grimninja

Grimninja Well-Known Member

I think you can probably get yourself a HTC Touch Diamond, they are an awesome phone and personally have one, highly recommend it and its so efficient since its a windows mobile and also very customisable.

3. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

HTC Diamond are no way near his price range. They are 3k+

Maybe Nokia 5800 or one of the Samsung ones

4. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

trade in your touch + cash for iphone

5. Grimninja

Grimninja Well-Known Member

I picked up my HTC Diamond for just above AUD400 a few months back so i dont see why he cant do it. Just buy in Aust rather than HK.

6. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation; I actually had a look at this phone when I was in HK and my dad was tossing up between this and the nokia express 5800 - he ended up buying the express, but he sold it to a friend as soon as he got back in australia.. so i didn't actually get to play with it myself.

I'm checking out some reviews of the touch diamond, and reading of lagginess and poor battery life. Probably one of the grips I've had with a past touch screen windows mobile phone (some asus one) is the need for a stylus.

Any particular samsung one?

Don't really want an iphone.. mainly cause I use my Touch quite regularly around the house to listen to music - don't like the thought of carrying such an expensive phone in my pocket whilst im moving about. When it rains I panic with my Touch cause I don't want it to get wet.. the slightest of water damage can render this thing useless.

7. mr_evolution

Heard the Samsung S8000 Jet was pretty good, similar to the 5800

8. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Damn, that phone looks tempting :D ~ just trying to work out if its worth its use for me

lol, the more I think about it, maybe I should get an iPhone.. since im thinking of forking so much for a new phone..

9. BestOffer

BestOffer Well-Known Member

SE all the way for me with ultra long talk time (9+ hrs), others has like 3-4 hrs :stickpoke:

10. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

11. mr_evolution

I have a feeling you have to either trade in an old phone or join a plan, no way it can be that cheap.

Touch Diamond 2 for 2.7k? W995 for 2.5k?

Best way is send them an email

If they are really that pirce, tell me, Im getting 10 of them

12. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

I just emailed them.. But yea; I do think you have to join a plan/contract to get that price.

13. mr_evolution

I just looked around the site, some new phones only have $100 or so discounted price, so it might really be a discounted phone....interesting

14. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Think the samsung one was only 100 off.. the discount might be true.. cause my dad has a friend who is a nokia distributor.. and he says that its quite possible that Nokia subsidise their new phones. - some of the other nokia phones are cheaper by quite a bit (like the express 5800..)

But looking at vodafone's and 3's sites, they all have the standalone pice, and their cheaper option requires u to sign up on a plan.. so yea.

15. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

So it is on a contract.. and when u work it out its 2484 for the 18 months.. which is close to what you're paying for the phone out right.

16. mr_evolution

Damn I knew it

17. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

Fuck thats one heck of an expensive contract...

18. mr_evolution

It's in HKD i believe

19. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

lol, its in HKD.

If u convert it to AUD, its not that expensive ~ around 400 bucks for 18 months.. but then u can't exactly compare teleco fees from 2 countries.

20. dragyfj123

dragyfj123 Member

maybe a sharp 906i? if u can find it for that price where you live. but for me its like aroud 2300 hk?