Protégé Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies Discussion' started by hillary, Apr 29, 2007.

1. hillary

hillary Active Member

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Directed by
    Derek Yee

Starring
    Andy Lau
    Daniel Wu
    Louis Koo
    Anita Yuen
    Zhang JingChu

Distributed by Golden Village Pictures
    Release date(s) 13 February 2007
    Running time 111 mins
    Country Hong Kong
    Language Cantonese

Protégé (also known as Moon To) is a 2007 film directed by Derek Yee, starring Andy Lau, Daniel Wu, Louis Koo, Anita Yuen, and Zhang JingChu.

Plot summary

Undercover officer Nick (Daniel Wu) had spent the last seven years penetrating into the core of a drug ring working his way up from a street dealer post to the managerial position handling cargo deliveries for Jong (Andy Lau) - the biggest player in the local heroin market. When the ailing Jong makes Nick his protégé, Nick could not but sway before money and power and starts to perform his role like a real drug trafficker. This, together with his affair with heroin-addict Jane (Zhang Jingchu), causes Nick to becomes more and more confused about his true identity, and eventually leads to a disastrous end.

Based on materials provided by retired undercover agents of the police force, "Protégé" attempts to realistically tell the story of undercover agents in the clandestine drug world, who struggle to constantly walk on the fine line between justice and crime, but who will never see the day of serving in the regular police force.

------------------------------------------------------------

my opinion

Just watched this after I got it from
    http://www.dramasian.com/showthread.php?t=13800

[​IMG]

With so many big names in the cast, I expected a lot. I didnt expect it to be soo "dark", slightly bloody and some scenes quite disturbing. some big names with small roles, I was quite surprised. I seriously hated Louis's look in this movie, Anita Yuen with her pregnant look - although very little screen time, but she is good and convincing esp when her husband got caught.

Good to see Derek (the director) on screen again..

#1 hillary, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. hillary

hillary Active Member

Andy Lau to Play Drug Dealer in Protégé

Five stars led by Andy Lau will set their glamorous images aside to play breakthrough roles in Protégé, a movie described as Hong Kong's answer to Traffic and Donnie Brasco.

Five stars in the movie

Based on a true story, the film will have Andy Lau playing a big-time drug dealer with Daniel Wu as his protégé. Louise Koo, Anita Yuen and Zhang Jingchu will round out the cast.   

During a press conference on August 3, the actors said they undertook extensive research for their parts. Koo and Zhang said they spoke with recovering drug addicts, while director Derek Yee met former dealers referred to him through police contacts.

The stars' dedication to their art stopped short of completely getting into their roles, as they denied they had ever used drugs or considered using them to prepare for their roles.  

Protégé'producers say the film will portray the underworld realistically and emphasize the message that "drugs kill and drugs are bad".   

The US$4.5 million project is backed by finance from England, the US, Chinese mainland, Hong Kong and Singapore.

http://www.china.org.cn/english/features/film/177086.htm

[​IMG]

3. litohmoo

litohmoo Member

I didn't really like the movie. Andy Lau's skill was awesome. However Daniel was a little disappointed.

4. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

i finished watching this and thought it was okay.
    wasnt as good as i expected.
    Daniel Wu played a big role and did very good with this and as for louis.. hmm...seeing him as a druggie was funny. lol
    oh and one gross bit is where that police got his hand off!! eww....

5. fafeifa

fafeifa Well-Known Member

I liked the movie a lot may be the ending was a bit too strong for some audiences but it was very well done.

6. inkblot

inkblot Member

overall i think it was a good movie, not a waste of my time, but the hype made it a little dissapointing as i was expecting better.

7. 8570

8570 Member

gogogogo

8. _keke_

_keke_ Well-Known Member

Me liked the movie =p

9. rainmountain

rainmountain Member

andy lau and zhang jingchu were great. didn't like the ending, too deliberate.

10. iluvthisstuff

iluvthisstuff New Member

Drugs and betrayal, I didn't really get the ending.. why did Nick end up doing what he fought so hard to fight? Did he feel like he lost everything.

11. naruuuto

naruuuto Active Member

this movie is pretty good

12. laziboi

laziboi Well-Known Member

funny how they mixed the heroin as though its porridge.

13. drkdemon

drkdemon Active Member

I really liked this movie. Daniel Wu did a pretty good job.

14. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

it was ok..but not as good as i had expected it to be..very dark in some aspects but if the message was to show that drugs kill n drugs are bad...why did the ending consist of daniel wu taking it in himself? is he trying to prove that 'yes you can get off it..i'm not guna get addicted and yes i can quit it' ?

15. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

Good movie, but at times pretty exaggerated.

16. pto88

pto88 Well-Known Member

super disturbing movie with all the drug addicts and stuff

17. chickenutbread

chickenutbread Well-Known Member

still didn't see the movie yet but it's definitely on my list of movies to watch. just having andy lau, louis koo (and maybe daniel wu too) in it solidifies the movie.

18. minhlu

minhlu Active Member

it was sad ending in this movie.

19. cfirekev

cfirekev Member

loved it.

20. cutesky

cutesky Active Member

after watching tis movie it really isn't what i expected it to be..i mean judging from the cover, andy looks like the leader of the whole movie and it looks like an intense movie but it turns out andy didn't realy have a big role in it..i would actually never thought daniel would be the main character...but tis movie does have a moral lesson to it..poor lito grl