Prepare to be 'Fearless' in August

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by TvbAddict, Feb 22, 2006.

1. TvbAddict

TvbAddict Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Prepare to be 'Fearless' in August

by Mark Pollard

This coming August is shaping up to be a busy month for martial arts movie enthusiasts in the U.S. The latest news is that Rogue Pictures has set Jet Li's Fearless for wide release on August 4th, ahead of two other notable genre films.

Jet Li's reportedly final kung fu movie and one of his most anticipated in years will be playing in over 600 theaters across the nation. This will make Fearless the biggest Chinese-language martial arts movie release since 2004 when Miramax opened Hero, also starring Li, on over 2000 screens.

Rogue Pictures previously released Li's Unleashed in May of 2005.

On August 18th, The Weinstein Co. is releasing Stormbreaker (official site), a family-friendly spy movie based on Anthony Horowitz' best-selling series of Alex Rider novels. Newcomer Alex Pettyfer will play the 14-year old super sleuth, who happens to be a black belt in karate among other things. The major news is that world class action director and star Donnie Yen has choreographed the fight sequences.

On August 25th, Corey Yuen's latest film DOA: Dead or Alive hits theaters courtesy of Dimension Films. The movie is based on Tecmo's popular fighting video game series and stars a bevy of attractive ladies along with notable martial arts stars Collin Chou, Kane Kosugi and Robin Shou.

Sources: PY Kong, Box Office Mojo

2. Logy

Logy Well-Known Member

such good timing, now all we need is a jackie chan movie or sumthin released in august aswell

3. jackie chan's new project bb with louis koo, dunno when it come out though

4. azntru3lub

azntru3lub Well-Known Member

Fearless released in August?
    why so long???

5. naruto1314

naruto1314 Well-Known Member

look forward to this
    also fearless

6. You should be lucky it'll be release this year. Movie companies tend to push back release dates for chinese films <_<.

7. glad to see it aint a MIRAMAX RELEASE the damn production company that chops and pushes asian films into hell (shaolin soccer) i remember seeing Unleashed unchopped and on time so i have my trust with Rogue Pictures to be distrubiting the movie on time and not butchered. I hear it's a great movie as good as a hollywood movie. Not sure if i should watch it on dvd or wait for theaters. Unlike shaolin soccer which was never released in theaters around my area or anyones area!

and no this is not jet li's last movie!

8. yea shaolin soccer was released in sf. I really want to watch the uncut of this, so I can see Li's fight with Michelle Yeoh.

9. Logy

Logy Well-Known Member

isnt the uncut too long, dont remember the last 3hr chinese movie i saw, imagine sittin through 7swords movie uncut, i was strugging to stay awake for the orignal cut.

10. well thats 7swords. Fearless was too short.

11. Fearless was originally about two and a half hours in length, but after small test screenings, several professionals in the field suggested shortening it. They felt the movie was a little too wordy and advised deletion of an Olympics theme, seen as not central to the movie.

In the movie, Michelle Yeoh played an Olympic committee official. Jet Li incorporated the role into the story because he would like Chinese Kung Fu (Wushu) added as a competitive event in the Olympic games. He intends to show the extensive and profound art of Chinese Kung Fu in the film.

Director Ronny Yu eventually trimmed Fearless from 143 to 103 minutes, also cutting an action scene featuring Li and a Thai fighter.

With Fearless now less than two hours long, Michelle Yeoh doesn't have a single frame in the movie. Because of the editing, Jet Li went to Hong Kong especially to apologize to Michelle Yeoh. The actress expressed her understanding regarding the deletion and said that she is still willing to co-star with Jet Li next time.

good movie even when it's cut

12. robsh

robsh Well-Known Member

will the uncut version be on dvd?