People that don't Tip!

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by lotsofmsg, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Kaleung

Kaleung Member

I tip most of the time

2. michelleho

michelleho Member

I do tip becuase I used to work part time as a waitress!lol so I know hwo hard it can be.

3. RockkxD

RockkxD Moderator

Sometimes..they really don't deserve it.

4. lala_bel_tempo

lala_bel_tempo Well-Known Member

I live in australia and " tipping " doesn't really exist..

5. flea

flea Member

tip only when deserved. and yes indians dont tip

6. RockkxD

RockkxD Moderator

What about Indians?

7. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Where I live, most restaurants charge 10 or 15% for service. I have no idea, though I shall in future ask, if the waiters and waitresses get the money or is it pocketed by the owner as profit. There must be these scenario:-
    For waiters and waitresses:-
    1) Decent basic pay , then they share all the tips amongst themselves
    2) Poor basic pay, owner takes a big share of the tips , left over is shared out
    3) Decent basic pay, owner pockets all the tips leaving nothing to be shared out
    4) Poor basic pay and owner pockets all the tips
    5) Poor basic pay, owner takes all the tips, workers are required to pay for accommodation and to pay for breakage
    6) Poor basic pay, owner takes a share of the tips, at the end of the day, if the cash receipt total is less, may be due to wrong change, the money is taken out of the tips
    7) Basic pay, owner pockets 100% of the mandatory 10 or 15% service charge put on the bill automatically, then if customer still leaves tips then it is shared out

But a tip, in principle, is exactly what it says, an extra thank you (as money, for example) for service that is better than expected, for better or tip top performance! However, even for a self buffet service nearly all of them charge mandatory service of 10% or 15%. I always tip waiter(esses) for doing a bit more then just putting dishes on your table.

Another practice which is not acceptable and in happened when I was in Chicago in Chinatown I was charged $1 for chinese tea that I did not want or have. This is worst than government tax. On my way to the airport I stopped by to have a light lunch. So I ordered two beers and a lobster plus something else. Then the dim sum was finishing off and the trolley came past and I could not resist a beef cheung fun as well. Very delicious, not having eaten one since 10-15years? , when the bill came it included a chinese tea for a buck after spending about US$20-30. When I queried this , this was a mandatory charge for dim sum even though I had only one single item from the dim sum menu! And of course there was the mandatory service charge as well. Since then I have STOPPED drinking Chinese tea in restaurants and it has been 4 years whether it is free or chargeable, it is always beer or wine for me now!!

#127 surplusletterbox, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  8. Charged $1 for tea? -what? lol some restaurants do, do that.. but mostly here in bosoton MA they dont.. and i have worked as a waiter up here and seriously... our income come practically from tips... so its not just an extra thank you for us, its our income... >__<

9. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

OK, I better ask next time , so that I am familiar with the local conditions ! I add an 8th category.

8) Lousy basic pay, share of tips as main income

That's very unfair if most of your income comes from tips. It is not fair for the workers and not fair to humanity. A welfare nation depends on people paying taxes on the salaries to fund all the state benefits. However, if it is tips, which is cash in hand, there is much lower chance of tax being paid on it.

10. endlessluv42

endlessluv42 Well-Known Member

The amount of tip that I give them is (in most cases) over 15%. If they've done their job accordingly and gone somewhat over and beyond, then I would tip more than the 15%. But if they've given me crappy service and there was a food delay (perhaps they had put my order in at a later time)...then we will see how PO I am at that point in time.

And by the way, not just dining at a restaurant you are required to tip the server...but also ANYONE who performs a service for you...requires a tip. i.e. taxi drivers, hair cutters/stylists, contractors, etc.

11. reno

reno Well-Known Member

i would disagree that anyone who performs a service REQUIRES a tip
    if they've done it better than expected, then sure, it's nice and polite to give them some
    but when ur not getting wat ur meant to, or how u expect, hell no im giving them any

no1 REQUIRES a tip...
    it's like ur doing ur job, ur performing a "service", its not like we get any extra "tips"
    its all about perspective

some restaurants/services force an "service charge" (but that just depends on which country/area ur in)
    if its already forced, then theres no need to give extra, unless that person has done something exceptional

i must say i still love aust, no tips necessary =)
    while im here... sux sooo many times hafing to pay that "esrvice charge" when they can't even do their job...

12. well its more like..... the tables you work are YOUR tips to keep, so the more table syou turn the more money you get... unless you decide to work together then it is shared but what work you do is yours to keep... the owner doesn't take any of the tips from the waiter its all theirs... but w/e

To tip someone for providing you a service is pretty much what you are suppose to do, i mean a bartender makes you a drink, yes you did order it and he is suppose to provide it for you at no additional cost but you tip him out of courtesy

I tip 15% almost all the time unless the service was ridiculously bad....

13. Dont they charge you the tip with the bill? they do over here in the UK, i don't tip and im not afraid to say it.

Unless i chose to tip but its my choice.

14. Yeah............ in the US its completely different..... and when foreigners come here and don't tip its kinda a big deal amongst the wait staff, I mean if you are going to go to a different country at least learn the basic customs before going going there so you don't look like a complete ass later on.....>______< and sorry to say but British people are lousy tippers over here... as well as most japanese.....>_> rawr...... w/e

15. yiubun

yiubun Well-Known Member

haha, this reminds me of teh time I got bad service, and instead of not tipping, we (had like 10 ppl that time too) put in 5 cents, = about 3-4 cents US...lol

16. Icegirl

Icegirl Active Member

i would have to agree. ALWAYS TIP.....unless the service is so bad that you would never go back. In australia, tipping is not necessary......but it is always welcome. Its a diificult job and nobody realises the sort of demands placed on hospitality staff.

17. i think its rather sad from a waiter/waitress to whine when they dont get a tip, its your choice of getting a job that doesnt get payed well, if its that bad you should whine at your boss.

most of the times i do give tip, but i wont give any when the service is really poor, or when the waiter/waitress didnt really helped me, or when i know the waiter/waitress wouldnt get shares of the tips, or when the prices of the drinks/food is bloody expensive.
    In the end most of the time, if the bar/restaurant serve me good.. ill give a good tip.

but some countries already have there tip charged at payment like france , pretty stupid tbh :S its your choice to decide if the service was good

18. metzo

metzo Well-Known Member

i tip if i pay in cash and thers coins, take the notes leave the coins

but if i use credit card or bank card i wouldnt tip =P

19. lovinglyxx

lovinglyxx Well-Known Member

they serve me good i tip, if they don't then why should i?
    there are so many rude waiters out there too... pure lazineness, esp. some in chinatown out here in london hahaa :p but then again there are some who are really friendly, or just simply not getting on your nerves

anyway. 10% service charge is always added at the end of the bill here

20. cottoncandybabe

cottoncandybabe Well-Known Member

see im nice, i always tip lol

well depends really if its a crap service then screw it