PA's Official Book Lovers Thread

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by MissCheekS, May 12, 2008.

1. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

KEKEKEKE.....GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE...-hug....
    BUT YEH...HE'S LIKE MY NEW FAVE AUTHOR NOWS....!!....YA DEFFO GOTTA READ NORWEGIAN WOOD 1ST...!!....
    NOT HEARD OF SOPHIE KINSELLA BEFORE...?!....

I AGREEE.....AND AND AND IF YOU READ IT OFF THE COMP SCREEN....THAT JUST SUCKYYS...
    I HATE READING OFF THE SCREEN....GIVES ME HEADACHE....IF READ FOR TOO LONG....>_<

2. adrianc

adrianc Well-Known Member

omg. it's the 21 century,,,paperless, good for the environment.

3. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

=O...u should read some sophie kinsella...start with "can u keep a secret" thats like the most hilarious book everrrr

shes also famous for the shopaholic series....
    U should know her...shes from LONDON UK!! :p

reading a book from PC is (N)...reading is supposed to make u feel relaxed...how can u feel relax reading a whole book from ur comp screen.

So faaaail....!

4. adrianc

adrianc Well-Known Member

5. D-Kimbo

D-Kimbo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

its a really old book and uses old english...but its VERY good....well at least for me, it was VERY good

it changed some of my views on life

check it out...its a short read too...and I think you can read it on google...lol

6. brown_bear

[​IMG]

NOT A BAD BOOK....KINDA LIKE A BIOGRAPHY ABOUT A GIRL'S LIFE OF BECOMING A STRIPPER...ALL HER THOUGHTS/EMOTIONS
    ITS REALLY EASY TO READ COZ ITS REALLY CHATTY AND CONVERSATIONAL-LY...KINDA LIKE READING MAGAZINE ARTICLE
    HAS ITS FUNNY BITS ...ESP WHEN SHE 1ST GOES TO AUDITION FOR THE JOB...
    ABOUT MID-WAY THRU CHAPTER 9 WHEN SHE TALKS ABOUT HER CHILDHOOD IS UBBBBER SAD...REALLY DID FEEL FOR HER IN IT...:tear:....

BUT YEH NOT A BAD BOOK...AND QUITE AN EYE-OPENER IN ALL THE THINGS BEHIND BEING A STRIPPER...

7. MissCheekS

^lately there are so many books about strippers n callgirls... i think i saw at least 3 of those in the 'new released section"
    dunno why....seems like they've all opened up... (or just want some extra pocket money....hehehe
    but yeah...kinda interesting to see it from their perspective i reckon...

8. brown_bear

[​IMG]

TITLE: LOTTERY
    AUTHOR: PATRICIA WOOD

ITS ABOUT A GUY CALLED PERRY L CRANDALL WHO HAS AN IQ OF 76 AND TO BE RETARDED ITS 75 AND EVERYONE
    THINKS HE'S RETARDED BUT HE ISNT...HE LIVES WITH HIS GRANDPARENTS...THE STORY SLOWLY ROLLS OUT TO HIM
    WINNING THE LOTTERY....AND THE DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES HE ENCOUNTERS WITH HIS FRIENDS AND HOW HIS FAMILY
    TREAT HIM ....ITS REALLY NICE TO READ THE CHAPTERS ARE ABOUT 3-4 PAGES MAKING IT ENJOYABLE TO READ...(Y)

9. brown_bear

WAHHH......ANGIEEEEE......SO I READ ONE OF THE BOOKS BY THE AUTHOR YOU RECOMMENDED....SOPHIE KINSELLA....

[​IMG]

AND YESHHH ITS REALLY GOOD....I <3 THE STYLE SHE WRITES IT IN AS WELL.....GOT ME ADDICTED I FINISHED THE BOOK IN
    LIKE A DAY....DEFFO GONNNA READ MORE BY HER FOR SUREE...!!!....WHICH BOOKS HAVE YOU READ BY HER..?!...

THE BOOK I JUST READ WAS ABOUT A GIRL CALLED BECKY WHO SHARES A FLAT WITH A FRIEND CALLED SUZE HAS
    A ENTREPRENEUR BF CALLED LUKE BRANDON AND HE WANTS TO MAKE IT BIG IN NEW YORK....

IT WAS SOO FUNNY.....AND THE ENDING WAS JUST UBBBBEBR CUTEEE...<3..IT...!!...(Y)

10. zylo

zylo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Dragon lance

now i used to love reading but the passion sort of went away anyways i have a good suggestion for d and d fans
    its the classic quest to save the world sort of thing, based on an actually d and d campaign

11. MissCheekS

@BB... omg hun, uve finished 2 books already...shiet... have to step up n spend more time on reading....!!!

N yeahhh...im still not done reading Sophie's latest book atm hehehe

mustttt hurry up!

12. Shini_D

Shini_D Well-Known Member

OMG BB AND ANGIE! U GURLS I LOVE YOU!
    i LOVEEEEE Sophie Kinsella!
    Her shopaholic series are the best! ive got all but two, and thats "The secret life of a Shopaholic" and "Shopaholic and sister"...
    I own all the others including "Can you keep a secret" and "the undomestic goddess"
    if people dont know about it...
    the shoaholic series is about a woman named Becky Bloomwood, and well, obviously, she is a shopaholic, it's kind of a slice of life, about how she gets through with all these bills and loans and her crazy imagination, not to mention her family and friends, and her boyfriend/husband Luke Brandon, it is absolutely hilarious and any other shopaholic out there, I recommend this book as it is very easy to relate to and makes you think about yourself sometimes ^^.

Undomestic goddess is quite fun, about a high corporate office girl who ends up being a house cleaner, and how her life does a total 180, very nice book to curl up to on a lazy day on the couch or out in the garden.

Can you keep a secret is pretty fun also, but I feel slightly unrelated to the book, but it's a very good chick flick idea i must say, still, this is the book that got me into Sophie Kinsella's work, so still good indeed.

13. brown_bear

[​IMG]

TITLE: WAITING
    AUTHOR: HA JIN.....THOUGHT I'LL GIVE A CHIN AUTHOR A GO THIS TIME...^^

IT DATES BACK TO AROUND THE ARMY TIME OF 1960-ISH I THINK IT WAS....(READ IT A FEW DAYS AGO)...ITS ABOUT
    A GUY CALLED LIN WHO IS A DR IN THE ARMY AND HE GOT MARRIED TO A GURL CALLED SHUYU....WHICH WAS AN
    ARRANGED MARRIAGE BY HIS PARENTS....BUT COZ HE WAS AT THE ARMY WORKING HE RARELY SAW HIS WIFE
    COZ SHE LIVED IN THE VILLAGE WHERE LIN'S PARENTS WERE.....AND SHE LOOKED AFTER THE FAMILY...AND WAS AT
    THE BEDSIDE TILL BOTH LIN'S MOTHER AND FATHER WERE DEAD...AND ALSO LOOKED AFTER THEIR DAUGHTER..
    BUT THERE WAS NO LOVE BETWEEN THE COUPLE...

LIN SLOWLY FELL IN LOVE WITH A GURL IN THE CITY CALLED MANNA WU....WHO WAS A NURSE AT THE CITY HOSP
    AND WANTED TO DIVORCE HIS VILLAGE WIFE BUT EACH YEAR WHEN LIN RETURNED HOME TO DIVORCE SHUYU SHE'D
    AGREE TO IT AT HOME BUT WHEN THEY GOT TO THE COURT SHE'LL CHANGE HER MIND.....IN THE END HE WAITED 18
    YEARS OF SEPARATION TO BE ABLE TO DIVORCE HIS VILLAGE WIFE SHUYU WITH/WITHOUT HER CONSENT AND
    MANNA WU HAD WAITED...

THE STORY IS PRETTY SLOW TO START OFF WITH I GUESS....I THOUGHT IT WAS OKIES....MUST ADMIT I DID FEEL FOR
    THE CHARACTERS ESP THE BIT OF WHUT HAPPENS TO MANNY WU...AND HOW THE PEOPLE AROUND HER TREATED HER

14. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

All Quiet on the Western Front
    [​IMG]

> is an anti-war novel written by Erich Maria Remarque, a German veteran of World War I,
    > is about the horrors of that war and also the deep detachment from German civilian life felt by many men returning from the front.

Though i had to study this for english...
    i really enjoyed it and it was different in a good way
    because i've never read any war literature before apart from a few war poems...
    and yeh...it was really engaging and interesting because the book was written in the Germans POV of WW1
    the film version is also really good

15. brown_bear

[​IMG]

TITLE: SPUTNIK SWEETHEART
    AUTHOR: HARUKI MURAKAMI.......MY NEW FAVE AUTOR..<3

THE BOOK IS TOLD FROM THE TEACHERS PERSPECTIVE WHO LUBS A CLOSE FRIEND CALLED SUMIRE AND SHE LIKES TO
    WRITE BOOKS BUT IS IN LUB WITH A BUSINESS WOMAN OLDER THAN HERSELF....THE BUSINESS WOMAN CALLED MIU
    DOES NOT LIKE SUMIRE....ITS A REALLY NICE SHOR LUB STORY BETWEEN THE THREE CHARACTERS HOW THEY ALL
    LUB AND LONG FOR EACH OTHER...I THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY NICEE~~~....THIS AUTHOR NOT FAILED ME YET....(Y)

16. brown_bear

WOKAKAKA....IM BACKKK.....

[​IMG]

TITLE: THE WIND-UP BIRD CHRONICLE
    AUTHOR: HARUKI MURAKAMI

THIS BOOK IS ABOUT A GUY WHO LOSES HIS JOB AND STAYS AT HOME DOING THE HOUSE WORK
    WHILST HIS WIFE IS OUT WORKING...THE HOUSE CAT IS LOST SO HE'S IN SEARCH OF IT
    AND IS INTRODUCED TO A RANGE OF DIFF PEOPLE WHO ALL LINK INTO ONE ANOTHER
    AT THE END OF THE STORY

MY THOUGHTS TO THIS BOOK.....AT 1ST I FOUND IT FAIRLY DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND
    WHUT WAS GOING ON...AND I HAD TO RE-READ SOME BITS COZ I GOT A BIT LOST....
    PARTLY COZ THEYRE ARE AT LEAST 4 DIFF STORIES HAPPENING AT DIFF TIMES AND AS YOU
    CARRY ON READING IT...THEY SLOWLY LINK TOGETHER.....EVEN THOUGH IT WAS TOUGH TO
    READ I REALLY ENJOYED IT AND THE ENDING WAS UBBBBER GOOD...HARUKI MARAKAMI IS AMAZING...
    AND THIS BOOK IS SO MUCH DIFFERENT TO HIS OTHER BOOKS...

17. brown_bear

[​IMG]

TITLE: SOUTH OF THE BORDER, WEST OF THE SUN
    AUTHOR: HARUKI MURAKAMI

THIS IS A SHORT, SIMPLE <3 STORY ABOUT A REGULAR GUY...THE BOOK GOES THROUGH HIS
    TEENAGE YEARS TO HIS MID 30'S AGE. HE FALLS IN LUB WITH A GIRL WHEN HE WAS 12-ISH
    BUT SHE MOVES TO DIFF TOWN THEY GROW APART BUT HE STILL REMEMBERS HER EVEN
    NOW WHEN HE'S MARRIED, SUCCESSFUL IN HIS CAREER WITH 2 KIDS...AS THE VERY 1ST
    GURL HE <3 SHE ALWAYS HAD A SPECIAL PLACE IN HIS HEART....ITS UBBBBBBBER CUTE
    STORY...!!!..

18. MissCheekS

OMG bb is taking over my threaaaad hahaha....

Good job...keeping the thread alive....
    im a bad person for not posting here in my own thread....

Aaanyway... i know it took a while but the last time i wasnt lazy i typed a wholeeee part of my review n my bloody IE closed itself.... dannnggg...
    i was pissed so i didnt wanna retype muehehehe...
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Ok la... heres my new review

Title: Remember me?
    Author: Sophie Kinsella

Short summary: This book is about Becky…
    Becky awakes in a hospital after a car crash and has forgotten what has happened the past 3 years.
    She thinks she was taken to the hospital because she tripped and hit her head.
    The last thing she remembers is that it’s the year 2004. She went to karaoke with her friends and was living a shitty life. She has crooked teeth, frizzy hair and her bf is nicknamed “Loser Dave”.

In reality it is the year 2007, she is a well paid business woman, is married to a handsome multimillionaire and lives a super luxurious life.
    She is so overjoyed and thinks this is a perfect dream come true.

Slowly she finds out that everything is not as perfect as it looks.

My Opinion: This is the 3rd book I have read by Sophie.
    I must say that she’s one of my favorite writers…. I should read her shopaholic series too but their SOOO thick… but I will…one day lol…
    Anyway, I quite enjoyed this book however, to be honest I thought her other 2 books were better.
    Probably because this book was more predictable and the ending seemed as though it was written in a rush…. but as I said, it was still an enjoyable read.
    The way Becky (main character) was described was very funny, realistic and straight forward.
    I give this book a 7 out of 10…. It might seem like a lot… but the previous books I’ve read would probably have been 9’s or maybe even a 10….

Rating : 7/10

19. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

wow! It's been a really long time since I read a book....

But I'm currently reading:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Title: Cry Silent Tears

Author: Joe Peters

Short Summary: : Based on true story. A boy named Joe Joe knew his mother was cruel and violent and was only 5 when he saw his own father burn to death in front of him. Left with his mother, which he didn't speak for four and a half years, which meant he was unable to ask anyone for help as his life turned into a living hell. - Two of his older brothers spent the following years beating him, raping him and locking him in the cellar at the family home.

My Opinion... so far...:I read the summary at the back before I bought it and thought omg?! o_O MUST READ!! And also it's a true story. Haven't quite finished yet.. But I really pity for Joe as he's been beaten up by his own mother and getting swore at. But really want to know what happens to Joe. Will he be continuing to be beaten up and be raped by his mother's boyfriend?! Will he escape? ... Well it's time for me to read on and find out!

I recommend everyone to read this!!

20. [​IMG]

This book has been my favorite so far!

Plot:
    When world-renowned Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned to a Swiss research facility to analyze a mysterious symbol -- seared into the chest of a murdered physicist -- he discovers evidence of the unimaginable: the resurgence of an ancient secret brotherhood known as the Illuminati... the most powerful underground organization ever to walk the earth. [​IMG]The Illuminati has surfaced from the shadows to carry out the final phase of its legendary vendetta against its most hated enemy... the Catholic Church.
    [​IMG]Langdon's worst fears are confirmed on the eve of the Vatican's holy conclave, when a messenger of the Illuminati announces he has hidden an unstoppable time bomb at the very heart of Vatican City. With the countdown under way, Langdon jets to Rome to join forces with Vittoria Vetra, a beautiful and mysterious Italian scientist, to assist the Vatican in a desperate bid for survival.
    [​IMG]Embarking on a frantic hunt through sealed crypts, dangerous catacombs, deserted cathedrals, and even to the heart of the most secretive vault on earth, Langdon and Vetra follow a 400-year old trail of ancient symbols that snakes across Rome toward the long-forgotten Illuminati lair... a secret location that contains the only hope for Vatican salvation.
    [​IMG]An explosive international thriller, ANGELS & DEMONS careens from enlightening epiphanies to dark truths as the battle between science and religion turns to war...

Personally I love the book, it was very interesting and i find myself completely absorbed into the book. Dan Brown is a very good writer and his stories are so connected to the real world... and also he walks to line of controversy.