Pacquiao vs Marquez III (November 12, 2011)

Discussion in 'Sports Chat' started by asiankidremix, Nov 13, 2011.

1. asiankidremix

asiankidremix Well-Known Member

Anyone watch the match last night. Do you think Marquez should have won the title match instead of Pac?

2. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

no asian would think marquez should have won

3. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

You are either a Pacman fan or didn't watch the fight.

There were some Filipinos that think Marquez won the fight, I'm Asian and thought he should have won, as did some of my friends who watched the fight (all Asian).

4. Pac downplayed the fight so Flloyd can agree to fight him-lol

5. wilsonli

wilsonli Well-Known Member

I think this is the first time that Pacquiao was overwhelmed by Marquez, everybody thought that Marquez was going down by round 6 but Marquez fought really smart countering and anticipating everything Pacquiao wanted to do.

Probably there will be a IV fight between them...not sure when. Im Pacquiao´s fan but this fight the winner had to be Marquez.

6. saw this for a second time being unbiased with pen and paper and i gave 1/3/4/6/9/10/12 pacquiao and 11 a draw Marquez 2/5/7/8

Pacquaio's the clear winner as he's more aggressive and made made Marquez back peddle to win the even round. Even if Marquez would of gotten that round imo Manny still would of been up.

7. lebayon

lebayon Active Member

manny did not help himself by not dominating this fight.

8. whos rdy for part 4?

9. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

Solid counter... damn... PacMan got too excited, looking for the kill and gets stung!

10. Tiger King

Pacman was doing quite good putting the pressure, but Marquez once again proves why he is an expert counterpuncher. Perfectly timed, I had to laugh at some people who called it a lucky shot.

11. ao_xxx

ao_xxx Well-Known Member

Manny's aggression in trying to finish him once and for all was the reason he got knocked out. If he just did what he did all the other times they fought, it would of just gone to a points decision. Which would of been an unsatisfying ending once again.

12. Akira-

Akira- Well-Known Member

I dont know anything about boxing, just wanted to ask a question, why is this fight so ''popular'' was it championship or something? everyone dissing manny lol...

13. Tiger King

[video=youtube;1jnBQB1z4ZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jnBQB1z4ZI[/video]

Should have replied to this a while back, but the video above tells you much about quadrilogy (and potentially Pendrilogy if that's the right word)

It started off as a championship fight, Pacquiao at this stage was starting to make a name for himself after defeating Mexican Marco Antonio Barerra (they would go into a duology themselves), now Pacquiao would have flown through this fight if this was anyone else at this weight class of featherweight (no Floyd Mayweather jr) at the time, but this is Juan "Dynamita" Manuel Marquez, possibly one of the smartest counterpunchers ever, sure Pacquiao Knocked down Marquez 3 times, but Marquez basically won all the other rounds, now had it not been for the 3 knock downs (boxing works of a 10 point system, most of it is subjective, so if nothing much happens in a round except for one guy dominating the other with punches, but not knocking him down or out, the match would score 10-9, but a knockdown would mean a 1 point deduction from the score cards, which meant in the first round, Marquez was losing 7-10 on all three judges score cards), anyways had it not been for those 3 knockdowns, Marquez would have clearly won the fight, the fight ended in a draw.

The second fight was basically a rematch, but at one class higher, Manny had suffered his first defeat against a Mexican that was Erik Morales, the two would have their own trilogy in which Pacquiao made Maroles quit in the third round. He would also have settled a second fight with Marco Antonio Barerra, so with both these other Mexicans down, he was known as the Mexicutioner, an unofficial nickname. The second fight was appropriately titled Unfinished Business, and Pacquiao won on split decision. People felt Marquez won the fight, and Marquez too issued an immediate rematch proposal ($6 million offer), but Pacquiao refused because he wanted to move up weight to Lightweight.

It would be a long time before Pacquiao would meet Marquez again.

Pacquiao cemented his celebrity status after annhilating Oscar De La Hoya and basically retiring the Golden Boy for good, then he went on to fighting and annhilating Pueto Rican fighter Miguel Cotto, along a string of greats like Antonio Margarito, Shane Mosley, Joshua Diaz, Pacquiao seemed unstoppable for 8 years straight.

Marquez, all this time, had been chasing Pacquiao, demanding for a rematch, and they did. This was also around the time when Pacquiao's boxing status rivaled that of rival Floyd Mayweather Jr, the two had been playing games, accusing each other of ducking, PED uses and teasing fans with rumors of meetings with promoters etc etc, but it was Marquez who finally got his wish for a third fight. After an unsuccessful attempt to move to Welterweight against Mayweather, Marquez made a second attempt in that weight class against Pacquiao (for the third time), with proper conditioning and training as opposed to just eating and blowing up to fight Mayweather.

Marquez fought a very clever fight, taking advantage of Manny's constant habit of over extending his punches, allowing him to counter, and tricking him into attacking Marquez to create further openings for more counterpunching. That isn't to say Manny didn't bring anything to the table, he displayed incredible footwork and lightning fast combinations as usual. It was an extremely close fight, with the winner once again being Manny. Many thought (including some Filipinos) that Marquez was robbed... I myself thought so too.

2012 wasn't a good year for Pacquiao, he himself was robbed of his WBO Welterweight belt against Timothy Bradley on points, even myself thought so too. Talks of a Bradley rematch immediately surfaced, but quickly disappeared as the attention on the boxing world went to Floyd VS Cotto before Floyd's incarceration (90 days only) then followed by other great fights such as Sergio Martinez VS Julio Ceazer Chavez Jr.

Out of the blue, Marquez and Pacquiao IV was announced... with both sides calling this a once and for all fight, a KO would be the deciding factor. And it happened, around the 6th round, despite Pacquiao doing so well and being up on points, and despite one knock down each from both sides, Marquez lands one of the hardest shots I've seen lately, a beautiful counter punch, Manny was out cold for several minutes, many thought he was probably killed.

So now, this rivalry has made its way to the boxing history books, with a potential 5th one being announced this year in September (as much as I don't want it to happen). These two together in a ring, bring in big money because their styles are suited for each other.