On the subject of afterlife..

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by chickenutbread, May 11, 2007.

1. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

-rotfl surprise to hear that from you, CNB... lol
    Cheers

2. mgfcortez

mgfcortez Well-Known Member

well i hate to always be the asshole but...
    apollon i wouldn't say what babyrain did was wrong she said almost the same thing.
    but master did mess everything up that she said.lol
    i'm to lazy to look up the post and copy and paste but.
    he said if your believe is right,i'll go back to the 2nd world,

when she clearly said no mather what you do,your never move back a grade.
    you do have to redo the one you on just like school.
    then she said he messed it up and said it wrong.
    he could had said right there well i didn't read that crazy stuff.

at least that would be honest.lol
    but he then said well then i'll be sent to the 5th one.lol
    so i can understand why it pissed her off.

that be like someone saying Christ said all men can walk on water just because Christ had one of the 12 walk on water.
    you see my point?
    it's her believe and i don't know about you but i get very mad when someone try's to put word's in Christ's mouth.
    so she believe in buddhist so it's only right.
    to get mad when you have a 20 page topic about your believe's with master posting in them 20 page's i might add.
    and then mess up her believe's,just like he did it just to be an asshole.
    maybe not what he was doing,but it looked that way.
    so saying that i don't read/and don't read much is ok.lol

becuase in truth he had to read some to even know that much about it to mess it up.lol
    i know i look like i'm coming down on both of you.
    but it is the truth,and i have to say something because i hate to say it.
    but your making us Christian's look bad:(

3. BabyRain

IS THIS ENOUGH FOR YOU APOLLON? I believe this will shut you up for good.

4. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

"in a superficial or cursory manner" being the operative adjective there...

And when it is compared to the definition of READ, SKIM is VERY differently defined...

I only included the first definition (there are 46 in total, but the first one is the most commonly used and relevant to our discussion here) The same reference, dictionary.com, is used for easy and relevant comparison...

5. BabyRain

HIAKE, it's OK. I have just came up with his EXACT quote.

6. hiake

No, he was trying to get technical with me on the definition of SKIM, may as well.

You know...

7. apollon

apollon Well-Known Member

@hiake. yeah i know, skimming isn't the same as reading. or else why would there be these two words. i guess i think of skimming as a form of reading. where the absorption of the text is bare and minimial. but in a sense it is still reading. do you kinda see my point?

@BabyRain. shut me up, eh? may i quote?

was that quote in his sig?

8. BabyRain

SIGH... Honestly I don't know what's the point anymore.. seriously. Totally.
    Everyone else in here seems to be getting it except you. I don't know why.
    Tell me someone !! Help!

I'll attempt to get that across ONE LAST TIME.

Firstly, it wasn't a TECHNICAL QUOTE from me.
    I am SUMMARIZING what MG said in his SIG.
    Just as he did with MINE.

I believe what he said was, "IN YOUR WORDS"
    So, in other words, I was summarizing what MG said in his sig, IE HE DOESNT READ ESSAYS. Simple as that.

Can you honestly tell me what I summarized WAS WRONG? was AN ERROR? Lmao.
    After post #183, which was PROOF that he said he doesn't read essays, that justified what I said about him.
    So there. Get that in your thick head now.

9. hiake

Well, without understanding... does it quite qualify as "reading"? It may well be "SEEING the post"...

As I said, you CAN be right depending on how BROAD you define read. Does "flipping through and looking at a magazine" equates "skimming a magazine" equates "reading a magazine"?

Plus, as far as I can tell, in this part of PA, posts are written in hope to be read and comprehended (to the reader's capacity), otherwise there WOULD NOT have existed any relevant discussion.

10. mgfcortez

mgfcortez Well-Known Member

well frist thing is frist,i don't even think it mather's that much who is right or wrong.lol
    would Christ want you to upset someone like this?

now i'd understand if she was trying to lead soul's away from God or something.lol
    but pushing what you believe in someones face,that don't want it is wrong.
    and everything else is realy trash isn't it??
    who's right and wrong,and why you want to just get technical.lol
    it's not that big of a deal if someone said doesn't read all / or don't read at all.lol

11. apollon

i agree. it is how one defines "reading". so i guess this argument is going to be let off on a technicality.

12. BabyRain

Oh yeah this just reminds me of sth else..

When I said MG MISQUOTED me... I did not expect him to come up with the exact same quote I said in all my posts did I????????????????????????

Oh no. I meant MISQUOTE as in MISTAKE. SAYING STH IN MY WORDS.
    That's what I meant by MISQUOTE anyway.

Not as TECHNICAL as the MISQUOTE ur talking about APOLLON.

If you are talking about that technical misquote, then everyone would have misquoted countless of times about what others mean when they put it in their own words... LOL.

What i did with MG's sig was I SUMMARIZED what he meant. And that's not a misquote becoz it wasn't a mistake!!! Post #183 is PROOF.

Whilst MG's misquote on ME is a FALSE summarization of my beliefs.

There... I made my point.

13. apollon

gosh darnnit. lol. you're missing the point.

"I Don't Read Essays" is different from "I Hardly Bother with Essays"

it is small, but there is difference. come'on, you cannot say that it is the same thing.

if i were to say, "I hardly go to school." would it be right to assume and summarize "I don't go to school." NO.

there is a difference. and this is my point. if you were going to use a quotation (in essence, claiming that person said what you are typing) then you need to be sure what you are quoting in.

yes, master_g was wrong in quoting your views on buddhism. but you made the same mistake just not as obvious.

seriously, -sigh- this is getting nowhere. lol. at least this is increasing my post counts. :D

14. chickenutbread

chickenutbread Well-Known Member

can i say this? i think both of you are stubborn in getting your point across. lol. i just say my point and if someone else doesn't get it, i just leave it at that. unless i really really wanted that person to understand. hope no one gets offended :p

15. BabyRain

OMG DUDE, DID I NOT SHOW YOU PROOF OF WHAT HE SAID AT #183?!

He fucking said he doesn't read my essays.

and that's what i fucking MEANT by my summarization when I SAID in MY WHOLE SENTENCE, "I don't bother writing essays because like someone said in his sig..."

So it relates to MY POINT of NOT writing essays BECAUSE he DOES NOT read mine.

And THAT is NOT a misquote because what I said wasn't AN FUCKIN ERROR or MISTAKE.

AND HOW THE FUCK DO I QUOTE A SIG. If i wanna do a proper quote I WOULD USE THE QUOTE BUTTON PER SE.

My usage of that "" marks are not meant in the TECHNICAL sense. It was a summarization because without the quotation marks, my sentence would look weird. I just wanna differentiate clearly what that part of the summarization is. Geez.

Apollon YOU ARE REALLY PATHETIC.

If anyone else can freaking see what I meant by that sentence without thinkin of it as a MISQUOTE, i don't see why ONLY you, apollon FAILED to do so. It's A FUCKING SHAME. Really.

@CNB: i was DEFENDING myself, not making any points... :p

16. hiake

But given previous knowledge (and the other quote where master_g DID said "I don't read your essays" to BR) I think it's fair for BR to say master_g do not read essays for the betterment of discussions.

And in case it escapes you, master_g only ADDED that new signature AFTER declaring that "I don't read your essays" but seeing that he does read SOME selected essays, yours for example, he can't quite say "I don't read essays", but "hardly bother" following "skim large posts" pretty much guarantees that BR's essays are NOT read.

So BR claim's that "master_g doesn't read essays" is still valid.

And skimming still doesn't equate reading, otherwise BR wouldn't have grilled dann for skimming her essays.

@CNB: I just want people to get their rhetorics right... It saddens me to witness the deteriorating language skills people command...

17. apollon

CALM THE HECK DOWN. you want me to say i'm wrong? does that make you feel better?

ok. I'm wrong on this quotation point of view, BabyRain. you know what, to ensure my sincerity , i'll even post it in my sig.

18. BabyRain

No, apollon i don't need you to say you are wrong.

In fact, I don't give a damn about what you say, as long as you don't accuse ME.

I was just defending myself.

And yeah, I apologize to everyone else for cussing there. I just lost it because I can't understand how it cannot get thru to you after so many explanation attempts and everyone else just seems to get it EXCEPT YOU?

19. i was just being honest, im not a fan of essays on forums, in small chunks i can handle it but real long essays i dont like. i do look at them sometimes but i wont have people thinking i read them ALL the time hence my sig (i HARDLY bother).

20. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

I just want to add my view on the 'afterlife' as an Atheist:

1. you can become food for the maggots,
    2. become an ice statue if you opt for the cryonics preservation,
    3. become an object for scientific purposes and they dissect your body and do test with it
    4. become a dissected human body in an exhibition show called 'Bodies' (and you'll travel post mortem)

or

5. become ashes and end up in an urn, in the sea or somewhere in a grass field
    6. become ashes and end up in the sky as part of a firework
    7. become ashes first and get the reaminings compressed into a diamond stone.