Old pics of Empress Dowager Cixi 慈禧太后

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by ~*Dawn*~, Jun 20, 2006.

1. nah... i think it's real... photo cameras were in China already back then... it's those old one where u take the pic n a flame/sparks would pop up... she once banned the camera in the Forbidden City... coz she thought cameras were evil and photos would capture their soul or something

2. freechina

freechina New Member

she is the best to bring down the manchu and free china from the pig tail queue forever.

3. x3ternaltearsx

her long nails scaryy =X it can kill sumone >......< lol nice pic i dont knwo mych bout the past ~_~

4. Sogaris

Sogaris Well-Known Member

Glad to be able to see some chinese history, thanks for sharing

5. oh yeah!!! how can i forget abt that haha... thanks for reminding me!!! yeah gotta give her heaps of credits for that

6. hidden dragon

hidden dragon Well-Known Member

very interesting :D!

7. Kooslee

Kooslee Well-Known Member

She isn't good looking at all. She is scaring.

8. dragopyre

dragopyre Well-Known Member

cool there was another link in this forums with pictures of wong fei hong. Maybe we'll get pictures of other chinese historical figures. I always wondered how kuan yu really looked like but there was no photography back then. damn

9. Panda

Panda Well-Known Member

Ci Xi was a dumb bitch who screwed over China's modernization attempts. Nonetheless, it's been expected anyway, given the political environment at the time, it was the norm. Ah well...had the Qing been a bit less self-serving and arrogant, you certainly wouldn't seen the Japanese/Russian/British/etc. threat early 20th century onwards.

Lol, can't believe she was even a concubine...

10. qoo

qoo Well-Known Member

is that the empress in Madien's Vow? theres some old lady's picture at the beginning of each peisode when they play the theme song.

11. but don't forget it was her that got rid of the Family Annihilation (that's the killing of 9 generations of the one who committed a serious crime)

yeah that's the empress that ate at Yu Fung's restaurant in the 5th or 6th episode...

12. korx

korx Well-Known Member

There's a new study going on claiming that historians wrongly blamed everything on Empress Cixi.

13. krazyaznboi

krazyaznboi Well-Known Member

she even makes the people standing around her ugly...ugh

14. really??? can u tell us more or show us the article??

15. thebestofme

thebestofme Well-Known Member

nice picture, but the first one looks like a doll

16. I just finished learning about her and the Boxer Rebellion in Advanced World History.

17. Fayjai

Fayjai Member

incase you didn't know most of the guys in those pictures are unix lol

18. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

She was never an Empress, just a dowager. Wu Zetian was the only (official) Empress in Chinese history. And she was a lot crueler. Cixi was mostly just stupid and ran the kingdom into the ground. She was manipulative and knew a great deal about palace intrigues and skullduggery.

But as a leader she was lousy; out of touch with the people and out of her league when it came to dealing with the needs of the country, especially with foreigners.

I think you mean eunuchs, or men who undergo emasculation or castration, to allow them to serve the rear palace, where the concubines lived.

Unix, is a computer coding language.

Ralph

19. joni89

joni89 Member

QING dynasty ftl

20. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Chinahistoryforum.com

And yes, there were cameras already in China by the late 1800's. As a matter of fact, I have several photobooks of old pictures taken in China around the 1860's. Here's one, published in 1978, out of print but you can still get it on the used market:

China in old photographs 1860-1910, by Burton F. Beers

...and this link, has hundreds of examples of old Chinese drawings and photos:

http://www.talesofoldchina.com/french/

Ralph

#60 ralphrepo, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007