North & South

Discussion in 'Vietnamese Chat' started by wang_bao, Sep 26, 2006.

1. dizzyx603

dizzyx603 Member

that is totally not true because most of my friends are from the north vietnam, now we're hanging out like best buddies! maybe the younger generation has a different point of view. did not experience the war. bleh its already over, let it be!

2. Fai

Fai Well-Known Member

I'm from Central Vietnam :)

3. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

Well, the South has a larger mixed of "Chinese" Vietnamese population and the language itself has faded along with it. Compare the name "Ha Noi" and "Saigon" .. one can be translated to Chinese where as the other just kinda sound the same with translation. Of course, that's not the real reason behind it but it does contribute to the "dislike" between the two. The North is a lot more educated and speak more "respective" tone than those in the South. In other words, the North consider themselve as more "Viet" than those in the South ...lol

Anyway, all these stuffs are in the past. There's no such "dislike" anymore. Everywhere in Vietnam has changed including people with a more developing economy and technological advances. I personally have no problem with North, Central, or South. Who care really? As long as we stick together where ever we live in the world, correct? We should look out for our Viet bro/sis ...

4. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

It's for the same reason that the Cubans living in South Florida hate Castro; the majority of Viets living in the US were driven out of the country by the north. Hence, they generally hate the north, love and remember the south. Like Taiwan post 1949, where Chang KaiShek fled with the remnants of this nationalist government, the island became vehemently anti-communist. After the VietNam War, Viet immigration to the US was only allowed for Refugees (Boat People), that is, more people being driven out by the north. Visas from VN itself were not granted by the US, nor were regular Viets then allowed by VN itself to travel freely to America. So there was literally zero immigration of northerners into the states. This was not the case with Europe, which allowed either to migrate. Hence the US harbors a large and primarily southern population, while Europe got a mix. Their political opinions simply reflect their regional origins. In Europe, a mix of the two resulted in an attenuation of political views, while in the US, the largely southern origin population retained a staunchly anti-north and pro pre-liberation southern political voice. Their children too, likewise take a view that is mostly aligned with those of their parents.

First off, I'm neither northern or southern; for that matter I'm not even Vietnamese. I don't have any relatives from VN, but I do know a few VN friends. That disclaimer aside, the perspective that I want to throw into the mix has nothing to do with VN per se, but has plenty to do with people.

I grew up in a fervent KMT (Koumintang) Chinese family; read that as rabid hater of Chinese Communist Party. I could probably recite an oral litany of all the horrible things that those "Commie Bastards" did to the Nationalists and to the average Chinese (all mostly true, but some inaccuracies I found only after I grew up). At any rate, my point is, that some of the things they did, they deserve to be roasted in hell for; while other things were not as clearly black & white as I had assumed (or was taught in childhood). But the things that they did do were in no way unique in the sense that many other improperly administered governments did much the same or worse. The examples that have emerged from post reunification Germany, or from the current Cambodian Khmer trials will illustrate how states can easily sunder the social fabric of human and or familial bonds.

I'm sure that the older VN generation too, has many wonderful stories of brother selling out brother, wives backstabbing husbands, and children being forced to denounce their parents. This is generally what happens in countries that have fought civil wars; VN's was in particular, a very long and nasty one. But similar to the post war apathy of Korea's younger generation (who grew up with broadband, xbox's and the Korean Wave, while their forebears remember nothing but death, privation, and fear) the younger generations fail to understand or see the depth of anxiety they can cause to the older generations when they say "we should stand together because it would make us stronger..." To their grandparents and parents, this is akin to saying "let's go marry the devil."

But, if the Vietnamese can so easily let bygones be bygones so soon, then I tip my hat to their collective ability to look forward. Us Chinese dwell so much on our past that we can almost wallow in it. It normally takes about three generations of good relations for people to start thinking of their former enemies as brothers again. That is, all the old people that still remember will have to slowly die out. For example, my mother (in her mid seventies) still spits whenever she hears the PRC national anthem. :ugh:

#44 ralphrepo, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  5. azn_idol

azn_idol New Member

South VS North

Theres always going to be a divsion between South and North!

To be honest, the South way back then was way more prosperous than the North until the North took over and start running the country. My friends who are all South Pays the North Out and always want to get into fights. I know theres still tension, like the older generations like grandparents don't like North cause they're south for what ever reason. However that doesn't affect me. To be perfectly honest, North and South don't matter.......as long as their a good person than thats all thats important.

Keep it real!

Azn Idol!

6. joecool

joecool Member

Hippocrate!

7. joecool

joecool Member

Well said! The world has marched on while these people still living in the past.

8. joecool

joecool Member

huh?

9. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Your "past" just hasn't happened yet. When it does, you should remember your words and see if you can so easily march on with the rest of the world and leave all your memories behind as excess baggage. -roflyawn

And there in lies the big problem. Most of the very young really don't know what the very old are talking about; about the whys and wherefores of things that they feel are important. They used to label this as the "generation gap" but to me it's more like a continental divide. The dearth of knowledge in the young vis a vis the world in which their parents lived, is absolutely stunning.

#49 ralphrepo, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. psych0gambit

psych0gambit Active Member

I'm mixed, got fam in way up north and way down south. The only problem I have with north vietnamese is understanding their accent lol.

11. thanh_tung

thanh_tung Member

south Vietnam

12. hct1802

hct1802 Well-Known Member

Wow I thought I was the only one having problems with understanding the North Viets. Thank God I'm not :), seriously when I see something on TV in Vietnam, I'm thinking what the....are they on about?

13. davo2097

davo2097 Active Member

so you saying to forget? no chance there mate.

my father was a south vietnamese soldier, the shit that he had to go thou....

i actually think it be better if north vietnam stayed north and south vietnam stayed south just like korea.

ive never liked the north, never have never will. vietnam to me is just a country i go to on holiday thats it. i lost my country ages ago, i consider myself a new zealander-vietnamese. nz has givin me everything yet vietnam has giving me nothing.

im the new generation but yet i will not forget the past, the past was too paintful to forget.

i will educate my children about the past, i will make them be aware of what has happened and what their grandfather had to go thou for them to be here. from there on its up to them to find out more and their own judgement to either keep remembering or let it past. i will not make my children take on my perspective just like my father, who told me to make up my own mind. this coming from a man who was torutured for 3 years, locked up and hunted for a year then had to leave hes family because seeing them would bring them danger. after 20 years he was able to see his family again.

forget? nah....

#53 davo2097, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  14. hct1802

hct1802 Well-Known Member

Agreed. You can't just forget about the history. It's part of welll what you are? really? I dunno how to say it.

15. davo2097

davo2097 Active Member

Re-reading some of the post..... it just blows my mind away....

"Don't live in the enmity of the past"

The past is who you are, its not like living in the past is more like remembering and paying respects to the people who fought for you and died, just say for example you're mother who lost you're father in the war (who thought for your families freedom) dislikes north viets you go and tell her to forget the past? wtf would you think her reaction would be huh?

"maybe the younger generation has a different point of view. did not experience the war. bleh its already over, let it be!"

So your saying that YOU not experiencing hardship and pain means that you can ignore the older generation that went thou all that shit for YOU? different point of view? before you say that instead learn more and try understanding. your view can only be accepted if its a educated one . ever thought about why you being vietnamese ended up in a foreign country?

"Who care really? As long as we stick together where ever we live in the world, correct? We should look out for our Viet bro/sis ..."

Try saying that to someone who lost their family and had to leave their country.

"Well said! The world has marched on while these people still living in the past"

Well said? another 5 year old dumbass kid, knows nothing yet opens their damn mouth.

Thats my problem with the younger generation, they know close to nothing. they dont ask why? they dont ask how? they always jump on the gun and say "to forget the past"

They take everything for granted, their comfortable lives that they live....who pays the price for that?

I respect my father and uncles greatly who fought for their childrens freedom and when they knew that they werent able to ensure that freedom, they risk there lives to find that freedom by sailing off into god knows where.

All i say is learn, read, ask questions, never forget the past and the people who paid with there lives so you can be free to live how you want to live.

please being a new generation south vietnamese dont ever say "i wasnt in the war so it has nothing to do with me" ..........it has EVERYTHING to do with you.

16. mamsn

mamsn Member

North or South does it matter now where you live? A few more generations and your childrens don't even know the diff.

17. dungnge

dungnge Member

the north are so communist... the south are more open to freedom
    that's the answer

18. danxstry

danxstry Member

im south but here in the US it doesnt matter, they dont seperate from south or north

19. Cuongies

Cuongies Member

oh god! we are vietnamese! stop descriminating amongst ourselves! VIET PRIDE! what if one day you end up marrying a north viet?