MTV ASIA AWARDS: Asian Stars Shine

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by shinobi, May 7, 2006.

1. [​IMG]
    Saturday May 6, 2006, Thailand

BANGKOK : Asia's biggest music stars showed off their finest Saturday at MTV's regional awards show, in a glitzy concert broadcast around the continent from the heart of Bangkok's commercial district.

Fans waited for as long as five hours to catch a glimpse of their favorite celebrities -- including the likes of "Mission Impossible 3" star Maggie Q -- parading along a red carpet entrance to the performance hall.

Grammy-winner and Destiny's Child member Kelly Rowland hosted the show with Wang Leehom, who won for the best Taiwanese artist.

The two hosts sang after an explosive opening performance by nu metal band Korn, in an evening that mixed artists from different countries and styles.

Taiwan's pop queen Jolin Tsai, who won the style award, gave an acrobatic hip-hop performance of "Dancing Diva" with twirling gymnastics ribbons.

Bombshell diva Tata Young, who took best Thai artist, and former British boy bander Lee Ryan sang "Endless Love," while Wang Leehom sang a Chinese opera-inspired version of "Heroes on Earth."

Webbe, who belonged to Blue with Ryan, joined Thai group Thaitanium to perform "No Worries."

Rowland also debuted her new single "Gotsta Go" before a swooning crowd of 5,000 people in a packed house.

"It was more than I expected, and it was a lot of fun," Rowland said after the show, praising her co-host as full of "great energy."

The show was a smaller affair than last year's awards show, which came in the aftermath of the Indian Ocean tsunami and was transformed into a global aid concert for the recovery effort.

That didn't deter the screaming crowd.

"We love Vanness. He's smart and can dance so well. He's so sexy when he dances," squealed Rin Khaochot, 30, who came with a group of Vanness Wu fans wearing T-shirts with his name on them.

"The male artist I really want to win is Eminem. I love him so much, I wish he could be here," said Pomme Kessung, a 19-year-old Bangkok student who won a ticket to the show in a raffle.

Awards were handed out to international stars, as well as to the best artists from around Asia.

Latin heartthrob Ricky Martin was named favorite male artist, while Kelly Clarkson took best female artist.

Backstreet Boys won for favorite pop act, Green Day for best rockers, and Simon Webbe for best breakthough artist. Best video went to Korn for "Twisted Transistor."

In the Asian categories, Vicky Zhao won from mainland China, Twins from Hong Kong, Jai from India, and Peterpan from Indonesia.

Seven took the honor for South Korea, Mawi for Malaysia, Rivermaya for Philippines and Taufik Batisah for Singapore.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SHOW [BT]

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/206963/1/.html
    http://asianfanatics.net/forum

#1 shinobi, May 7, 2006
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  2. goo wak jai

goo wak jai Well-Known Member

Seems quite interesting! I wish i was there to watch it

3. sir_denster

sir_denster Well-Known Member

Twins as best artist from Asia? Uh...I mean, they released a Mandarin album, but that hardly means that they deserve this award. Eason, Joey, Leo? Hello, MTV?

4. oooallyooo

oooallyooo Active Member

Congratulation to LeeHom, Jolin,Twins,Kelly Clarkson, and the rest for winning award. How i wish i could watch it...siGh

5. no one takes MTV seriously its more of a popularity awards show than anything else, even the american version is full of crap too. -smart

6. azns7yle

azns7yle Member

leehom wang!! hehe congrats

7. tnytran

tnytran Member

kelly rowlands look errr...

8. lwmtang

lwmtang Well-Known Member

I watched this and I was really happy cuz Leehom hosted it. I thought it was a bit boring at some points tho.

9. Chelissamow

Chelissamow Member

HAHA! That's EXACTLY what I was thinking as well... -whistle

10. scarlet.mote

scarlet.mote Member

i always have problems with BT! :(

11. lumines

lumines Active Member

ill watch this for vicky zhao :)

what i dont get it why there are so many awards for international stars when the show is for asia....wtf
    they need to include more asian acts in this instead of westerners...

12. movie lover

movie lover Active Member

Wang Leehom is stylin!

13. movie lover

movie lover Active Member

I totally agree with lumines

14. seizai

seizai Member

Lee hom RoX

15. bell3442

bell3442 Well-Known Member

MTV Asia Awards 2006 was great. Leehom looked hot the performances were wonderful. Jolin, se7en, kangta and vanness's performances were interesting to watch and entertaining.

16. EvaxTvxQ

EvaxTvxQ Well-Known Member

vanness and kangta looked SO FREAKEN HOTTT!!!

17. 168chOttO

168chOttO Member

thank you, think a little bit late to watch it now