MSG in chinese food

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by pingpong, Apr 24, 2007.

1. WinterSky

WinterSky Well-Known Member

lots of MSG in asian snacks too ;) betta watch out if your one of those health nuts

2. Aznmask

Aznmask Well-Known Member

MSG do make u feel thirsty but it isn't that good to get u to drink more water? secondly i mean eating too much chinese food or other country food is not healthy. BTW you can request for no MSG on your food.. just ask them. Usually if u request no msg they won't add it czu they don't want get sue.

3. rNb99

rNb99 Well-Known Member

msg is actually really bad for your health but i'm not sure how...but i know it's bad..but i know it makes the food taste better so that's why the restaurant loves using em.

4. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

Has anyone noticed the username of this person?:)

Seriously, more ppl are coming up with allergies to MSG. lots of time i go to Chinese restaurant, i hear the customers asking the waiter to make sure that there's no msg in the food otherwise they get a severe headache.

5. WilliamStorm

WilliamStorm Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhh well said!! Go MSG!!!! I want sommmore lol:p

6. winterfuyu

winterfuyu Well-Known Member

Msg = Instant Noodles

7. ryce2go

ryce2go Member

i think w/o MSG... i probably wouldnt like the taste of the food.. immune to MSg

8. chheng

chheng New Member

i n mah family stoped eattin msg like 5 years now and find that food tastes better without em lol

9. stardust86

stardust86 Member

MSG is so bad for you!! I remember seeing pots of MSG on the tables in China.

10. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

msg isnt really bad since its made virtually broth...

In 1907, Japanese researcher Kikunae Ikeda of the Tokyo Imperial University identified brown crystals left behind after the evaporation of a large amount of kombu broth as glutamic acid.

credits to wiki

so you decide

11. msg in ANY food..... im allergic to them.... i get a HUGE headache after...

esp something in that yellow dim sum dumpling.... gives me headaches afterward... everytime....

12. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

fried food is bad for you, but who's going to stop eating that?

13. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

there is msg in fast food restuarnt hamburgers
    maybe that's why the dude from that movie got so sick all the time

14. ^ nah, i can eat some types of msg...

it could it be the amount of msg?

cuz i get headaches from dim sum... and uh... something else lol

15. yongxlin

yongxlin Well-Known Member

MSG is popularly marketed as a "flavor enhancer"; but ultimately it is a food additive!!! And we wonder why the nation is overweight? The MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people to their products. It makes people choose their product over others, and makes people eat more of it than they would if MSG wasn't added.

16. thanislim

thanislim Active Member

Hmm thats an interesting article about MSG honkiebonkie. Asians are definitely more tolerant to MSG than others but here's the interesting bit about the article.

This shows that MSG occur naturally in many foods such as parmesan cheese and ripe tomatoes. Vegemite or Marmite contains a lot of MSG as well.

This shows that MSG should not be the main cause of the problems.

Everything we eat SHOULD be in moderation. Even if you drink too much soy milk, it's actually not healthy. Moderation is the key.

17. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

it dont matter anymore anyways you cant stop the use of msg because it has not been stated that its dangerous

18. flx330

flx330 Banned

after reading about the symptoms online i feel them after eating chinese food. is that psychological or physical. who knows. and yea there's no solid evidence that it's not healthy

19. chickenutbread

chickenutbread Well-Known Member

MSG is in a lot of things, especially cup noodle. i didn't research it or anything, but there's a general impression from a lot of people that it's bad. well, unhealthy.

20. _keke_

_keke_ Well-Known Member

oowe didnt know that it wasnt good 4 health o_O