MSG in chinese food

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by pingpong, Apr 24, 2007.

1. pingpong

pingpong Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do most chinese restaurants use a lot of MSG in there food? After I come back from a chinese restaurant, I get very thirst and have to drink a lot of water. Although MSG brings the great taste out from the food, do you think it is damaging to your health?

2. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

lol msg is bad but yet restaurant use as much as they can

3. casshern

casshern Well-Known Member

I'm eating MSG right now.

4. AznWing

AznWing Well-Known Member

they do that to save time,effort and money lol
    do they realy care about what you think is healthy?
    all they want is you to enjoy ur meal, pay and leave and if you can add some tip lol

5. ralliart

ralliart Well-Known Member

It was safe, until people started having health problems. Google it. Thats what i did.

Honestly, food does taste ALOT better with MSG, but just like everthing, isn't good for your health. Just use it in moderate amounts.

6. lee-lee

lee-lee Well-Known Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm msg....make food so yummy.
    my bro told me the other day that for every tablespoon of msg, 6 seconds of ur life is gone.
    i choose msg

7. honkiebonkie

honkiebonkie Well-Known Member

well, just like some ppl are lactose intolerant, some ppl are msg intolerent...

does the MSG put MSG in their food?

8. deviate

deviate Member

yea the monosodium glutamate activates the good taste buds on your tounge but its bad for you

9. casshern

casshern Well-Known Member

MSG is basically a kind of salt. Restaurants use it as a cheap ingredient to add flavoring to your food.

If you're not one of those people who are allergic to it, meaning you don't get head aches, stomach aches, or any other type of pain from eating it, then it's ok.

MSG is only bad for you if you consume too much.

10. honkiebonkie

honkiebonkie Well-Known Member

11. lee-lee

lee-lee Well-Known Member

^too long of an article.
    bottom line: msg is not okay because it's asian. but a 4000 calorie burger is fine

12. gyyr2

gyyr2 Well-Known Member

MSG is supposed to enhance the taste of food. Restaurants use it to entice their customers to drink more..alcohol as the margins are higher.
    At home I use it sparingly to make what I cook more tasty...just enough only to tickle your taste buds.

13. saiko

saiko Well-Known Member

i always put some because it enhance the taste of the food.

14. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

I avoid MSG like the plague =_=b It causes me all kinds of trouble... insomnia (sometimes), sleepiness (sometimes), stomachache (always) and headache (if I am still sober)... =_=b I can take small doses but some restaurants go VERY generous and I'll feel like I developed an ulcer overnight. The pain. THE PAIN!!!

15. Boss Lady

Boss Lady Well-Known Member

MSG are very common nowadays... not just used in Chinese Restaurants but other ones as well... it makes food taste better and they're cheap! best way to avoid it is to eat home.

16. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

^ Well even though nearly all restaurants uses MSG and its derivatives to add flavour, there are some restaurants which are less generous with it. And those are the ones I would end up frequenting and be a regular at :p

There's only that much cooking you can do... The rest you'll just have to rely on good restaurants.

17. 101

101 Well-Known Member

#17 101, Apr 27, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  18. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

I guess it's ok as long they don't put too much of it in the food! If you get thirsty by it, it's a sign they have either bad cooks or lazy cooks.

19. DuchSauce

DuchSauce Well-Known Member

My friend's mom has a restaurant in Philly, her old menu used to have a 'no msg' sign, but when she updated her menu she took that off, she didn't want to lie, but only tells people there's msg if they ask.

20. lotsofmsg

lotsofmsg Well-Known Member

There actully isn't solid evidence that MSG is actully harmful to your health
    If there was the food accociations could put a ban on it, but there isn't such a
    case that this food enhancer really does anything.
    MSG is protein that ehances the the taste of meat within your mouth.

And MSG is not only found in chinese food, u really have to look at all foods possible and will find it practically everywhere.
    But u have to look for the scientific name monosodium glucamate. U will see that it's in a lot of foods and its not just Chinese resturants that use it.
    I have eaten chinese food since i was young and i have nothing against it nor am i sick and have cancer from it.
    And u can't really avoid MSG it's in pratically everything, u drink soup can cambelle anything, there is msg in there. Chips lots of it in there. anything u can think of that has meat flavour or subsitue as meat there is MSG i there. And i work in a chinese restaruant and its awfully annoying when ppls ask me if there is msg in our food. Yes there is, and guess what, there is more at your house too!