Memoirs Of A Geisha, lumping us?

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by KrAznGirl, Nov 28, 2005.

1. KrAznGirl

KrAznGirl Well-Known Member

Many of you may be familiar with the book Memoirs of a Geisha. More of you may be aware that it has been turned into a film for the big-screen. It is due for release on December 9th. Anyway, I was watching the trailer and I had heard news about it, but never really thought about this. The two main characters in the film are both played by Chinese women, Zhang Zi Yi and Michelle Yeoh. Might I note that this story is about Japanese and only Japanese people? I realise that it is important to get more exposure as Asians in our media because there seem to be many myths and horrible lies surrounding the broad spectrum of Asian, at least East Asian, cultures. I find it slightly appaling that they would cast two Chinese characters in Japanese roles and what is even more unfortunate is that they choose to use English as the dialogue language. The whole of Japan never once spoke purely English. Furthermore Zhang Zi Yi doesn't even have a Japanese accent and Michelle Yeoh pretty much speaks with a British one. What do you guys think? Is it okay that we have two reasonably well-known Chinese actresses playing Japanese characters in a movie predominantly about Japan based on a book?

Okay, I will admit that some musicals and such have white people playing like Latinos or you have like French people playing Russian people, but this kinda pushes the limit. Chinese and Japanese cultures are so different, sure French and Russian cultures are but the systems in China and Japan are just so much more different.

2. shhh lips

shhh lips Well-Known Member

Well in every movie in NA, Americans plays British/scottish/russian/italian characters. And no one cares when an african american from South Africa plays a South Amerian. So I dont mind if a chinese person plays the role of a jap character?

Also Zhang Zi Yi and Michelle Yeoh are already well known asian actresses in America.

3. Fobstar

Fobstar Guest

thats a very good point shhh_lips i gotta agree with you

4. popalopa

popalopa Well-Known Member

I agree with you KraznGirl . At first I was very surprised that Zhang Ziyi would play in Geisha. I had the same reaction: Isn't this movie about Japan and japanese people? Then I got into some thinking and went to the same conclusion as shh lips. You can't say that chinese actors can't play japanese character? Why are they actor in the first place? Isn't it to play the widest range of characters out there?

5. paportforce

paportforce Member

i'm actually excited to see this movie. i'm a big fan of both the actresses. i don't really care that the chinese actresses are playing the role. it's just that asians don't really have that big of a role in american film. it's a good chance for asians to rise up in america and represent their heritage. although the parts are played by chinese women, it's the acting that counts. and that's what i hope to see. some good acting.

6. mashimaro23

mashimaro23 Well-Known Member

it doesnt matters who plays the roles. can the general white american tell the difference between a Chinese and a Japanese? probably not, so whether a chinese or japanese plays the role, it will make no apparent difference to a white person.

7. herc

herc Member

true true..... but what about us asians? i agree i think that part of having chinese play the role of japanese kinda pushes the limit. not only that, the movie is in english did you say? wtf?

8. Myolie88

Myolie88 Banned

steven spielburg was supposed to direct the movie but he passed it up and is semi co-directing/producing the movie so its gonna be a good one, its also based on a best selling book probably see this movie's gonna rock, btw its out for sneak preview and it got good reviews! looks like one of those movies going it up the oscars

9. rom30vo

rom30vo Well-Known Member

i don't really like ziyi all that much. when i found out she was the main character, i lost interest in the movie. they should have at least picked a girl that looked like a japanese girl. i'm fine with a chinese girl being portraying as a japanese as long as she resembles a japanese girl.

10. mochamaru

mochamaru Member

I thought they chose her just because she is more well known among asian actresses. I thought they would have more than 1 pure japanese person there as a main actor/actress. I dont like Ziyi either, but I like the other actresses.

11. remix

remix Guest

The trailer looks incredible. Unfortunetly, I've vowed not to watch the film 'til i read the book. I thought it was weird that there's a whole bunch of chinese people in a movie about japanese geishas but it's probably that way because Ziyi and Michelle are rather famous Asians in NA.

12. shhh lips

shhh lips Well-Known Member

Well I hope this movie is as good as people say it is. Im planning to watch it tmr night after my last exam. If i can get a ticket of course.

13. parcben

parcben Member

As long as the people cast in the roles play their part well, i don't mind.
    hopefully they'll do a good job and prove people wrong

14. lol like that last samarai movie where tom cruise played a japanese guy? -_-

15. Kayan

Kayan Member

yea they should hav chosen japanese actresses the 3 main characters are chinese...yea even hatsumoto is gong li a chinese actress ><

16. Efini_7

Efini_7 Member

Remember a white guy wrote Memoirs Of A Geisha so of course the movie gonna be fudged up

17. shinboi

shinboi Active Member

my thoughts are the same. this movie is made for the NA audience and not for Japan. if it was made in Japan then you can complain about its language content. Harrison Ford played a russian chrtr, did you complain that the movie wasn't in russian language? or that the main chrtr wasn't Russian? The two Asian actress the had the star roles is base on their popularity in NA. If you want to be upset about something be upset about the old black and white films where they used white ppl to play asian roles and you can see their eyelid being taped slanted.

18. Panda

Panda Well-Known Member

#18 Panda, Jan 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  19. kakashi_9

kakashi_9 Member

well it would've been nice if they used japanese actors cuz of the story but i guess its still ok even with the chinese actors

20. lionheart

lionheart Well-Known Member

this movie was great but kinda disturbing =[