Memoirs Of A Geisha Banned By China

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by KrAznGirl, Feb 9, 2006.

1. KrAznGirl

KrAznGirl Well-Known Member

China Bans Memoirs Of A Geisha.

New movie MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA has been banned in China amid fears it will encourage widespread anti-Japanese ideologies.

The casting of Chinese actresses ZHANG ZIYI and GONG LI in the Japanese drama has already caused outrage in China - because many regard geishas as prostitutes.

With Sino-Japanese relations reportedly at their lowest point in decades, authorities fear the film will revive resentment over the horrific sexual abuse suffered by thousands of Chinese women at the hands of Japanese troops during the Second World War.

The state-run Film Bureau initially approved the film, but have now retracted their decision - citing the film as "too sensitive" and having "complex" problems.

This is the second block buster movie recently banned by the Chinese government recently they banned Brokeback Mountain.

Femalefirst

2. kittykat_meow

kittykat_meow Active Member

isn't that a bit extreme...

3. 小小

小小 (゚ー゚)(。_。)(゚ー゚)(。_。) afk

lol consider wot happened recently wiv attacks toward japanese ppl and places

i dont blame for doing this

4. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Even if it's banned, I'm pretty sure people there will get to watch it anyways through bootleg copies/internet...

But ya, pretty extreme - why should a government dictate what a person can or cannot watch?

Oh wel...

5. qpower

qpower Well-Known Member

That's called Communism in this world
    I think it is best since there are more violence toward the Japs, and this
    Movie might just fuel the hatred

6. mega_o_mega

mega_o_mega Well-Known Member

i thought people today now can accept geishas more like artists and appreciate the culture of it..... but i guess not. China is sooo sensitive about it. by the way, why was Brokeback Mountain banned?

7. cricks11

cricks11 Member

that movie was bad anyways

8. page81

page81 Member

Yea, i dont see whats wrong with it.

9. Chelissamow

Chelissamow Member

That's kind of dumb...

And I agree with Shy. xD

10. tomatoman

tomatoman Well-Known Member

Come on man...these stupid people working in China movie industry must really get their mind dusted....didnt anyone tell them that the WAR have ended for like 50+ years....why do they still have to do little "action" like this? TO uphold their honour? to earn some "little" face-Tissue? Man....these people sure think small....

11. lalalala

lalalala Active Member

i think it's a little bit too extreme, considering that it's year 2006 and still this happens

12. 小小

小小 (゚ー゚)(。_。)(゚ー゚)(。_。) afk

indeed...... -what?

13. hk_girl

hk_girl Member

thats y it got banned...but i think its kinda unfair...and plp are still gonna watch ne ways u noe pirated copies

14. xlexyx

xlexyx Member

That's the main reason it was banned