Math

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by atkwai, Jun 28, 2010.

1. atkwai

atkwai Member

[​IMG]
    prove without bijection to the expected value of the bernoulli trials with n trials

looking for an algebraic or inductive prove.

2. iiimj4everiii

iiimj4everiii Well-Known Member

damn the only thing i no from that junk is the summation sign. cant help u there

3. KilaKilaGirl

KilaKilaGirl Well-Known Member

either this from abstract mathematic or discrete math, i once took these classes but now i forgot everything

4. tails

tails Member

Not sure if you got your answer but I'll give it a try. Haven't done any discrete math for a while...
    \sum_{k=0}^{n} k\binom{n}{k}p^k (1-p)^{n-k} = 0 + \sum_{k=1}^n k\binom{n}{k}p^k (1-p)^{n-k} due to the restriction on n. (We'll do this now so we don't have to worry later).
    \sum_{k=1}^n k\binom{n}{k}p^k (1-p)^{n-k} = \sum_{k=1}^n k\left(\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}\right)p^k (1-p)^{n-k} by definition of binomial coefficient.
    \sum_{k=1}^n k\left(\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}\right)p^k (1-p)^{n-k} = n! \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{p^k (1-p)^{n-k}}{(k-1)! (n-k)!} Now you see why we needed to change the lower index around. It should be clear what the next step is. You use induction to prove \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{p^k (1-p)^{n-k}}{(k-1)! (n-k)!} is equal to \frac{p}{(n-1)!}. Then you multiply this with the n! you have left over to get np. I'll write this all up in a pdf later.

5. tails

tails Member

6. atkwai

atkwai Member

oh cool. there it is :p totally missed the algebraic proof on that page

7. and this equation does what?